Admission Decisions

I applied to Loyola University Chicago in the middle of October. How long does it take to get an admissions decision? Anyone hear back from Loyola yet? And if yes, how were you notified?

I applied in the middle of October as well and found out on November 3rd by logging into my application and hitting the “new updates available” button. Your admission decision should be posted on there along with merit scholarships. Mailed decisions come a bit later!

Thanks for replying! Will you be going to Loyola? I don’t have a “new updates available” button yet…waiting is tough! I hope that isn’t a bad sign. Looks like the last items that they received were my recommendations and transcripts on 10/21. So hopefully I will hear something by the end of the week.

It’s definitely my top choice, but also my most expensive choice so i’m not 100% certain if i will be attending. Hopefully though!

Just got my acceptance! You have to go to your application status page. I applied at the end of September. Loyola is one of my top choices, I’m so excited! Got the Presidential Scholarship too! Does anyone know if there’s a class of 2021 group yet anywhere?

I was also admitted and got the presidential scholarship. I really like the school but I don’t like how there is two campuses. I am pretty sure no one has created a class of 2021 group yet.

I got my acceptance!!! Yay! So excited!

I was accepted a week ago with the $21k/year Presidential Scholarship :slight_smile: Nice contender for me, just waiting to hear back from everywhere else. Congrats to everyone else that was accepted and best of luck to those still waiting on a decision! :slight_smile:

Would any of the accepted students want to share their stats? What kind of stats seem to earn scholarships? Thanks!

^^^
Major: Nursing

GPA: 3.825 UW, 4.212 W

ACT: 33 English, 31 Math, 32 Reading, 28 Science, 31 Composite

AP Classes:
Sophomore: Chemistry - 3
Junior: Biology - 3, Calculus BC - 3
Senior: enrolled in Psychology and Statistics

Extracurriculars:
Student Council - 4 years
Executive Board - 3 years
Principal’s Advisory Committee - 3 years
Varsity Math Team - 2 years
Science Olympiad - 2 years
Worldwide Youth in Science and Engineering - 1 year
Link Crew Leader - 2 years
Medical Academy - 3 years
Community Service - 75+ hours

Awards:
AP Scholar, Hispanic Heritage Youth - Healthcare/Science Silver Recipient, Silver Cord

Scholarship received: $22k/per year

I was Admitted a couple of weeks ago, also receiving the Presidential Scholarship! I applied in late October. Here are my stats in case you’re trying to predict your own fate:

GPA: 3.896 unweighted, 4.621 weighted
Ranked 5th out of roughly 380
ACT 31 composite (32E, 27M, 32R, 32S)
Senior year course load includes 4 AP’s: Calc AB, Biology, Literature, Statistics
Residency: Wisconsin
Race/Gender: White female
Intended majors: Psychology, Neuroscience

Awards: Distinguished Young Women Overall Scholarship Award (academic award)
Distinguished Young Women Be Your Best Self Award
AP Scholar with Distinction Award
High Honor Roll (grades 9, 10, 11)

Extracurriculars:
National Honor Society (11, 12) & Volunteer Service Club (9, 10)
Bassoon in youth Symphony Orchestra (9, 10, 11, 12)
Peer Tutor/Mentor Program (9, 10, 11, 12)
Kids’ Camp Counselor (11, 12)
Dining Services at retirement home (10, 11)
Student Leader of Psychology Club (10, 11)
Currently Pursuing a leadership position in Multicultural Club (12)
Participant in Distinguished Young Women program
Tap dance classes (9, 10, 11, 12)
Student Senate (9, 10, 12)
Wind Ensemble, Marching Band & Pep Band (9, 10, 11, 12)
Fall Play (9)
Students Against Destructive Decisions (10, 11)
Hostess at restaurant (9, 10)

Accepted with a total of 23,500$ in scholarships per year!

Objective:
ACT (breakdown): 32 (34 English, 33 Math, 32 Reading, 29 Science)
SAT II: N/A
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.7
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): ~top 25%
AP (place score in parenthesis): U.S History (4), A.P Environmental Science, A.P Macro (did not take A.P tests)
IB (place score in parenthesis):
Senior Year Course Load: A.P Biology, A.P Comp. Govt, Spanish 4, Honors English electives, honors pre-calc, religion 4
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none lol

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Rowing co-captain (9-12), Band (9-11), NHS (11-12), and a few minor clubs
Job/Work Experience: none
Volunteer/Community service: ~50 hour at local food pantry
Summer Activities:
Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common app: 6, about unique family and how thye helped make me who I am. Didn’t do supplemental essay
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): didn’t send

Applied for Financial Aid?: nope
Intended Major: Environmental Science
State (if domestic applicant): Illinois
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Jesuit
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: ~200k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): none

Reflection

Strengths: ACT score, Jesuit high school, solid upward trend
Weaknesses: Didn’t finish my second semester of junior year, no supplemental essay
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: stats I guess haha
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted to Colorado Mines and Iowa

Accepted on November 3rd and applied in late October
Received the Presidential Scholarship worth $22,000 a year

ACT: 34
GPA (uw,w): 3.89, 4.42
AP: US History (3), Physics 1 (3)
Senior Year Courseload: AP Macro, AP Calc AB, AP English Lang, AP US Government, Honors Anatomy, Philosophy, Comparative Religions

Extracurriculars: JV Volleyball (9-10), CSF, Campus Ministry
Job/ Work Experience: Legal Assistant (10-12)
Community Service: 100+ hours
Essays (rating 1-10): Supplemental: 7
Recommendations: 9, my counselor really liked me

Applied for Financial Aid?: no
Intended Major: Mathematics
State: California
School Type: Private, Catholic
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: $200+

Strengths: ACT, GPA, Rank, Courseload, Work Experience, Community Service
Weaknesses: Extracurriculars, I really should’ve had more on my resume
Why do you think you were accepted?: Stats
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected: Accepted to University of Portland and Purdue

To the folks on this board - thanks for sharing your information. My daughter received her acceptance yesterday with a nice surprise of a $21K/year scholarship. She really likes what she knows of the campus and the criminal justice/criminology program, but we have not been to visit the campus yet, as we are OOS. If anyone who has done a tour or an info session or has other insights would like to share what they like about the school, I would be grateful for the information, as we likely won’t get out there until spring (I guess we might not want to go to Chicago until spring anyway!). Thank you!

has anyone heard back from the financial aid award given by FAFSA or CSS for Loyola? :slight_smile:

Daughter just received notice of admission and Presidential Scholarship of 22K/yr.

3.87 UW
30 ACT
Top 10%
6AP courses
The usual ECs, nothing earth shattering

We visited campus in November. I think the main things she liked were friendly students, beautiful setting, nice facilities. The dorms were good sized. Chicago is a definite pull.

A bit concerned that a 3.4 gpa is required to keep the scholarship.

Also accepted to the University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences.

She wants Loyola, I want U of MN.

We will see…

@angstymom - Thanks for sharing your D’s information. My D has a similar profile and got a $21K scholarship. Loyola is, at this time, her first or second choice too, though we have not actually been to visit. Can you share what makes you hesitant apart from the required yearly GPA?

My concern is essentially the gpa requirement. She has done well in high school, but transitioning to college is tough even for good students. She insists she will maintain the 3.4 but the reality is if she loses that 22k/yr Loyola is not affordable and she would need to transfer.

@angstymom - I was concerned, like you, about the requirement and looked it up. Here is what it says on the website.

Students must:
Successfully complete consecutive full-time enrollment (12 credit hours or more) each semester
Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA after each semester at Loyola for the Damen, Deans, Jesuit, B.V.M., Sisters of Christian Charity,Trustee, Loyola, Transfer Academic,Transfer Trustee, Transfer Dean’s, PTK Scholarships, LUC Star Scholar Award (Effective entering class is Fall 17), and the Rambler and Director’s Awards
Maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA after each semester at Loyola for the Presidential, Ignatian Full Tuition Scholarship, Transfer Presidential, Ignatian Honors and National Merit Finalist Full Tuition Scholarships
Remain in good academic and disciplinary standing

i can’t find my decision on the application page??? help