Admission Process in Philips Andover

<p>Yep - sibling and legacy preference has become a sort of myth these days.</p>

<p>Exie:</p>

<p>I really do not think this is true. At the top schools I believe that what you are seeing is reflective of just how competitive all applicants are and that the school is looking to fulfill its unique institutional needs. What comes to mind is neato’s situation (which I am hoping is resolved favorably). When I saw what happened with her daughter, I thought of a girl I know. Hers was a Cornell family (they have one of the most liberal legacy systems, whereby siblings, even aunts/uncles definitely helps, at one point this was on their website!). Anyway her two older brothers got in in the early to mid nineties, they were about a decade or more older than younger siblings. Brother got in he was a few years older. Anyway, daughter did not get in. Went to another school for a year and then transferred in (I think this might be called the z list from a book i read years ago, cannot recall the name). But legacy was definitely a factor in this resolving favorably for her I believe.</p>

<p>I think the main thing was that despite legacy status she was placed in the uber-competitve girl bucket and didn’t measure up, great as she was, i am sure that there were legacy girls who were just ranked higher
</p>

<p>anyway my two cents</p>

<p>A lot of people tend to lump siblings with legacies. Those are totally different things as far as BS admission goes. If you take into play a need for FA then in lots of cases siblings can act as a negative, since a BS likes to “spread the wealth” in terms of awarding $. Unfortunately a lot of other BS’ then dont look at the applicant quite as seriously since they assume that the kid will naturally go to the sibling’s school. Its kind of a catch22 situation.</p>

<p>Maybe I can even top TigerDad’s story. My friend and her husband are both legacy at my son’s BS. They had three boys and the first two are also now legacy. Their last son was waitlisted. Mom got so worried that last son couldn’t be the only one in the family to attend another school, she called school to advocate until they relented. Schools are looking at the talent pool and their needs. Legacy can help, but cannot make up for lesser credentials.</p>

<p>^^ but they relented! There you go, another example of how legacy works.</p>

<p>Do they see the first quarter grades?</p>

<p>Yes. Depending on the academic calendar of your school, final or mid-term grades in fall term must be submitted by Jan 15. The rest of the grades for the year will be required later after you are admitted.</p>