Admitted Students Day

So of course none of the “Purdue’s For Me” days work for us. Do you think it will make much of a difference to schedule a regular visit instead? Seems like you can customize the day with your college on either visit option.

I don’t know about Purdue, but normally this day is an option to known another admitted students and make activities together.You’ll have activities related with your mayor too.
I’m not sure if you can schedule another visit to replace this day.

@rofiorillo: Have you visited Purdue before? If not, you might still consider a regular visit day but try to supplement it with a meeting or visit to the college/department of interest. When we did our visit back in October, my son met with an advisor to the specific department in the College of Engineering, and he had an engineering student take him on a tour of the COE. Probably a telephone conversation with a representative of the college/department of interest could give you some ideas.

Quite frankly, the general visit with customized option worked pretty well for us; going to the admitted student day for us is (1) an opportunity to reaffirm interest, and compare more closely in time Purdue with other schools; and (2) allow other family members to get an insight into what Purdue offers.

Don’t worry. Regular visit is a good alternative option. Especially if you combine it with attending a class, meeting a professor, having lunch on campus, etc. We did that last year for our DD with 2 colleges and worked out great. Some say it’s even better that way since admitted students day can be hyped up a bit. Suggest you email the admissions office to put something together.

We had a fantastic visit over the summer. Met with a representative of the College of Science, and had a great meeting at the Honors’ College and a personal tour of the new honors dorms. We live in Alabama so more than likely won’t be making another trip for admitted students day. Purdue is #1 on our daughter’s list, but we are waiting to see if she gets admitted to honors and if there will be any scholarship money.

I am wondering if we will be missing anything by not participating in the Admitted Students Day? My son attended the Seminar for Top Engineering Prospects over the summer, so he is familiar with the campus and Engineering Dept.

From what I understand, STAR (Purdue’s orientation program for newly admitted students) will have a similar agenda/content. Students will meet with their academic advisor at that time, and the information sessions for family members sound very similar. My son wants to attend Boiler Gold Rush, so he will be able to explore extracurriculars at that time.

Not sure it is worth driving 4.5 hours one way for both events.

If he was a part of STEP he probably has all the information he would need from Admitted Students Day. This might be more important for someone who is trying to decide between Purdue and another university and wants more information. STAR is important and where he will first be advised and schedule his fall semester. Boiler Gold Rush is a week long pre-freshman opportunity to get to know some of the fellow students and get comfortable with the campus environment before classes start. It’s a good program but optional. It takes place the week before the general move in.