Advice / chance me for BS's (repost)

Hi, guys! I’m an eighth grader applying for boarding schools this year. I’m just looking for some practical advice in terms of what I should do / include more of through my application along with some realistic chancing–I’ve done a chance me before but I feel like I ostracized a lot of information from that and there are some things that have changed since so I’d really appreciate any responses!

Stats:

• 4.0 GPA (both 7th and 8th grade); mostly A+'s, some higher A’s
  • Taking Algebra 2 Honors+a science course at my local high school this year: I’m one of four kids in my school district that are on a triple-accelerated math course
  • 96th percentile on SSAT (99th for reading, 93rd for math, 84th for verbal)

Writing:
Writing has been one of my bigger passions for a long time (five, six years) and I’ve been able to gratefully amass a small list of acknowledgments from multiple writing contests–a number at the state, national, level, and recently two of my three entries were long-listed for an international 18&U one; participating in Scholastic writing this year too since I’m age-eligible for the first time. I’ve been invited to read out my work at multiple events and was accepted into the Belin-Blank JSI writers’ workshop program on full scholarship; I’m also currently working to self-publish a short story collection on Amazon and frequently updating an online writing portfolio.

Academic Clubs: Science / Math Club / Debate

• Science: I’ve been in Science Olympiad for two years now–I’m on the middle school varsity team this year; last year I won three medals (two first place’s, one second) at regional competition and my partners and I did well at the state competition too. Additionally I’ve been working on a neuroscience project and documenting my progress too–my science teacher was really impressed when she saw my notes so I’m thinking about organizing and showcasing them somehow.
  • Math: Nothing too impressive here but I was invited to the junior high math club as a sixth grader because I’d tested into pre-algebra, made chapter. I took the AMC 10 this year, think I did decent.
  • Debate: novice this year

Violin:

• Been playing for seven years
  • Was accepted into one of the most prominent youth orchestra + string ensemble in my area as a seventh grader (minimum age for auditions)
  • I’ve been concertmaster in multiple statewide honors orchestras (selected for most through the process of auditioning, some through teacher recommendations) + concertmaster in school orchestra
  • Working on a concerto to record & send to schools / use for competitions
  • Have been in a group selected to play with the local university orchestra

Cross Country / Track:

• Fastest girl on cross country team / fifth overall including the boys out of fifty something
  • Placed consistently in the top five (three) at school XC meets–my 2-mile PR was a 12:47–and I was top fifteen/twenty this year and last at state
  • One of the fastest distance runners on track team; went undefeated in the 1500 all season long
  • Ran the 800m leg of the first place distance medley team at state; placed top 10 in individual 800

Tennis:

• I’ve been playing for four years, definitely interested in playing competitively through high school maybe as my main sport; I’ve won tournaments in my area

Swimming:

• Been swimming competitively for four years; top twenty / thirty statewide
  • Some respectable PRs in bakstroke
  • State championships

Community Work:

• Hear for Children: this music group, organized by a local composer, and we’re affiliated with the big children’s hospital in my area fundraising for youths’ hearing aids
  • A variety of church involvements

Other:

• College for Kids (Grantwood): a two-week program for students in extended-learning programs that were recommended by their teachers; attended 2022 and was accepted again 2023 but couldn’t go because of a lack of time
  • Tutored a younger student as she was preparing for a math placement test that I’d taken the year prior
  • Three years of figure skating; won second place at a local competition
  • Three years of piano–played at a number of senior homes; was involved in a charity video project with a number of other Korean-American piano students from across the country

Otherwise I’m on good terms with all my teacher, particularly math & language this year, plus writing is what I consider my greatest asset so I think I’ll be fine for essays. I am going to need a decent chunk of financial aid. If it matters I’m an Asian-American girl / US resident. Here are the schools I’m applying to:

• Andover
  • Exeter
  • Hotchkiss
  • Taft
  • Lawrenceville
  • Deerfield
1 Like

Here’s the link to the poster’s original advice/chance me. Please use that thread to reply: Chance me for BS's