Chance me for BS's

Hi, I’m an eighth grader applying to boarding schools in the prospect of the 2024-2025 school year (i.e. Andover, Exeter, Deerfield, Taft, and a few more competitive schools). I would really appreciate any feedback from y’all if you could chance me!

Academics–

• I had a 4.0 GPA in seventh grade–mostly 98+ A+'s but a few 95+ A’s; I also took Geometry Honors
  • I’m taking Algebra 2 honors this year and currently I have all A+'s / A’s in my classes

Extracurriculars–

• Writing: this has been a big passion of mine for a while (5 years) and I’ve won / been acknowledged in a number of writing contests including some international ones. I also recently started a personal blog of my work and was selected for the Belin-Blank JSI writers’ workshop this past summer
  • Science Olympiad: I did SciOly last year and placed first in two events, second in one, at a regional competition; I’m planning on doing it again this year too
  • Violin: I’ve been playing for 7+ years now and I’ve sat first chair at a statewide junior honors orchestra; I’m also involved in an advanced string ensemble / am one of the youngest members of the biggest youth orchestra in my area
  • Tennis: I’ve been playing for 4 years and have won local tournamnets
  • Swimming: I’ve been swimming for six years, three competitively, and have been to a state championship
  • Cross Country: I was the best female runner (5th overall including boys) on my middle school cross country team in both seventh and eighth grade; I made top twenty at state last year and my eighth grade PR in the 2-mile race was a 12:46
  • Track: I was one of the best distance runners on my school team and the distance medley relay I was in placed first at state (I ran the 800m leg); I also placed top ten in the individual 800
  • Community Work: I’m a member of this local music group that fundraises for children’s hearing aids

Essays, Recs, Interviews:

• I’m not very concerned about my essays since writing is one of my greater assets and the interviews I’ve done so far have gone well / I’ve been preparing with ample time for all of them. As for my recommendations I have relatively good relationships with all my teachers and I think my algebra 2 teacher might put in a particularly positive note for me since I’m an eighth grader in a high school class

SSAT–

• I’m taking it soon but on practice tests I’ve averaged consistently above 90 so I don’t my score on this will be the make or break for me

Extra–

• I’m bilingual and speak fluent Korean and English

Notes–

• I would need financial aid
  • I’m Asian-American, and applying from an underrepresented area

Applying to–

• Andover
  • Exeter
  • Deerfield
  • Hotchkiss
  • Taft

Thank you for making it all the way to the end, and totally feel free to be blunt and snap me out of my dreams if you think I’m reaching too far–I would appreciate any suggestions or critiques.

You sound like a wonderful person and applicant. If you have not yet asked your teachers et al. to do the recommendations, make sure you do so ASAP. Good luck!

Thank you. And I have asked my teachers for the recommendations.

You have an excellent profile and are a competitive applicant to the boarding schools that you listed. Unfortunately, there are many, many other students with very similar profiles who are also competitive applicants. And there are more applicants than there are available spots, so this means your chances of being accepted are low. If those are the only schools that you would attend if accepted, then by all means apply to just those. If you would consider other boarding schools, such as those considered “hidden gems”, your chances of acceptance would be much higher. Are you good enough at tennis, running or swimming to make an immediate impact at the varsity level in high school? If yes, reach out to the coaches at your desired schools to see if they will recruit you. Being a recruited athlete will help your application. And how much financial aid does your family need? Unfortunately that will hurt you, as there is only so much money to go around. Good luck!

My current sports coaches have told me they think I have a high likelihood of making varsity as a freshman–I’ve checked, and my times in cross country / track are similar to that of older high school girls but that’s just in my area so I can’t say for sure. However I am definitely planning on reaching out to some boarding school coaches–thanks for the suggestion. As for financial aid my family is very middle class so I would need to look over the numbers but, yeah, this will definitely hurt my chances.

Given your entire profile, your chances at the schools you mentioned are above average. Music plus potential varsity athlete, plus great academics, is an attractive package for these schools, especially if you come across as having a nice personality.

You should submit a video of your violin playing.

Your financial needs will not hurt you with Andover and Exeter, both of which are “need blind.” Your needs will put you at only a slight disadvantage versus full-pay students at Deerfield and Hotchkiss. I don’t know about Taft.

I’ve been working on a concerto to record and submit so I’ll definitely do that too. Thank you for your responses!

Hi! I checked out your most recent chance me, and I have to say you are kind of like me (except for the fact that your app is stronger with national awards) But we both write, we’re both bilingual asian american females, 96th percentile SSAT, scholastic art and writing, do neuroscience research, run track (I’m horrible unlike you though), and do math comps! Best of luck from a fellow applicant!

Hi. Fellow XC and TF athlete here. If you are truly an 800m runner, you are likely not a long distance runner and should try the 1500 or the 400 (depending if you are a swing up or down runner). If you list some times, I can also help. Most BS do not really recruit for track though. I know Loomis has a very strong running program.

I doubt this, but even if you are, if you keep trying and (I can’t stress this enough) pick the right events, you will be good.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’m not the worst on the team but I got a 13 on the pacer’s test last year and I missed half the practices due to a bout of covid lol, did not include on my app bc of that. The track season at my school is over but I’m planning on doing xc to strengthen my running skills!

1 Like

I think I would classify myself as a distance runner because I prefer cross country–I would’ve ran the 2-mile and upwards during track season if they offered it to middle schoolers–but I did go undefeated in the 1500 and I only did the 400 a few times: I’m not horrible at it but not too good either (PR 1:13). As for other times officially my 1500 PR is a 5:33, 800 is 2:40, and 2-mile during cross country was 12:47–I’ve cut some considerable seconds since last spring though.

Yes I can definitely tell you’re more of a distance runner from your times. To be honest, if you reach out to coaches or fill out recruiting questionnaires, it may help you. Specifically your 1500 and 2mi time are great. Your 400 isn’t bad and will improve and your 800 is great as well. I think at the end of the day distance is your specialty though.

You would be a valuable asset to most or all high school teams. Some high schools are sprint heavy and could use a distance runner like you. At such a young age, you have accomplished more than many high school athletes. Keep up the great work!

I’ve already reached out to most of the running coaches: thanks for the advice! Do you think my academics and academic extracurricular activities are strong enough to suffice?

1 Like

Yes. I’m convinced BS admissions are partly what the school has/needs in terms of interests. And the rest is like a lottery to me.

If you can get a coach’s backing that’s a huge leg up. S24 had offers at two of the Eight Schools because of coach support. Your academics are great, like most everyone else that is applying, but will likely be a coach’s support that will get you in. Not that you can’t on academics alone but that’s a crapshoot. Good luck.

1 Like