Aerospace Class of 2027 Hangout

Just a place for Co2027 Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering/Sciences applicants and their parents to share info, ask questions, congratulate and commiserate on decisions.

W/ admissions decisions feel free to share as much or as little info as you feel comfortable sharing. More helpful information is anything you think helped or hindered in admissions decisions. Sharing no info is fine as well, just excited to see renewed interest in this awesome field and to see so many deserving students chasing their dreams. Best of luck to all!

Thanks for starting this thread! I have a S23 that has applied to lots of places for aero engr class of 2027. Results so far

Accepted: CU Boulder, SDSU, ASU, CSULB
Deferred: MIT, GeorgiaTech, UMich, USC
Denied: Purdue

How is it going for others?

1 Like

Thanks for this. Son got admitted to SDSU, CalPoly Pomona, CSULB, (SFSU for mech eng.) Still waiting for others 
All in state 

2 Likes

D23 is probably Boulder-bound. So far:
Accepted AE: CU, CWRU
Accepted ME: DU, CSU, Union
Accepted FYE: Purdue
Deferred AE: USC
Waiting on 5

2 Likes

Son got into:
GaTech, UMich, Purdue, A&M, CU-Boulder.
Rejected by MIT, UTAustin

2 Likes

Congrats on the acceptances!

Little more info on S23 (if anyone else is willing to share - great!):

California - very competitive large public high school
GPA 3.96 UW, 4.68 W, UC capped 4.28, UC uncapped 4.52
SAT 1550
10 APs/7 honors (including multi DE)
Great ECs in leadership and community service, but not STEM/no internships
Part-time job
Year-round athlete varsity/club

Waiting on a bunch more schools -mostly UCs, CalPolySLO, UW, deferrals.
Engineering is so tough - especially AE.

1 Like

Child has about 3.7 at competitive school with a challenging schedule and 36 ACT. Lots of good EC’s but nothing crazy like research or competitions. private pilot license.
accepted: UIUC, Boulder, Michigan
Denied: Purdue, GATech, UT
Waiting on few others.
OOS for all schools.

3 Likes

Just wanted to share a good guidance article we all might need to decide on our kid’s options:
Although it talks about GaTech Vs. Stanford, it can be extrapolated to any combination. Worth the reading

2 Likes

Good luck all! I’ve worked in aerospace (manned space operations) for almost 38 years! I still love it and all the changes I have seen and are still seeing. My advice today is to get as much computer experience as you can. The people we are hiring have engineering degrees (all types) and strong computer skills. We hire from many schools not only the “top” ones. Work hard, get good grades and have some good ECs as you go through school. Hobbies not related to engineering can also help you stand out!

4 Likes

It would be helpful if you can throw some light on what kind of computer skills are a plus for AE so that kids can plan with their advisor. Or are you indicating CS major with AE/Mech minor?

1 Like

No doesn’t need to be a degree or even a minor, really looking at familiarity in some of the newer computer languages, knowing the ins and outs of Share Point, developing tools to help with tasks etc. A lot of this can be learned in projects, self study, internships etc. Then groups can see if a person knows a tool they are using and could help with applications. If an applicant can say how they wrote a program to improve the productivity of a group or make testing simpler, or to analyze a set of data more efficiently it is a good sign.

4 Likes

Agree with momocarly
 specific language not so important as knowledge/practice of software dev practices/tools. Coding experience can be a plus, but the language used will vary by project even within an org. Further, any sizable project will have a software dev team and engineering involvement may be mostly requirements development, test planning, etc. That is why things like sharepoint, confluence, etc. can be useful. IMO it is more important in college to get involved in something (e.g., research, internship, competition) that requires such so you can speak to how you used the tools you are familiar with to solve specific problems within a team than it is to state ‘I know java and AWS’. Having said that, I only have 29 yrs in the field, so listen to momocarly :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly and well said. Not bad to say what you know but the general information is most important. Requirements writing is a key, we work with developers on the big things so having done testing of requirements is great. We do small projects within the groups but having a CS would be overkill.

3 Likes

Hi. Sorry to be late to the party!

S23 accepted to GT, UMD and Embry-Riddle for AE, plus VT for FYE and Delaware for CHE
Deferred by Purdue (and only considered for 2nd major in RD)
GPA 3.98 UW, 4.6 W, IB Diploma Program, large public, #2 out of 560, SAT 1450
HS doesn’t offer many STEM activities so his ECs were mostly band and theater
We live in MD which is amazing for engineering but I think he really wants to spread his wings and go OOS.

2 Likes

Son looking at Aerospace from application time, but recently expressed interest in computer engineering.
Accepted: PSU In-State, OSU, VT, Maryland, Purdue
Deferred to RD: MIT, GT, Michigan

Going to be hard to pass up cost of PSU in-state or OSU with max. scholarships OOS or a very reasonable Purdue OOS!

2 Likes

S23 accepted to VaTech
 General Engineering- Aero Interest. See my better half’s (PToady) posts above for other stats/results
 now that I think about it, must have seemed strange that I hadn’t posted about my own kid in a thread I started!

S23 was accepted to U of Washington (Seattle) for ‘engr undeclared’ (same for all freshman), waitlisted at UCD and not admitted to CalPolySLO (not sure if waitlisted or rejected yet- TBD).

How’s everyone else’s results going? :airplane: :rocket:

Son just got rejection from Caltech
 March 21 through April 1st we get all the decisions

So, which one he likes as of now?

Still weighing options & waiting on some deferrals and RD outcomes. LIkes different things about each of current acceptances, but hard to say there is a leader at the moment.

1 Like