Affirmative action?

<p>Random question: Since I am a girl and mexican with good stats who is thinking of applying to engineering at Princeton and other places like that...does my being a minority help my chances?</p>

<p>Yes, it will help, but you’ll still have to have good stats to be competitive. Good luck :]!</p>

<p>Wow, it doesn’t get better than that. Yes colleges do want minorities, but female engineers? They are gonna be on their knees for you</p>

<p>^^As long as she has the high SATs to prove she can succeed and graduate in engineering at Princeton.</p>

<p>It’s one factor among many. I prefer not to look at it as affirmative action but as a way for selective colleges to build a diverse student body. The idea is that you will bring perspectives and experiences that differ from those of others and thus contribute to the educational quality of the campus. The Supreme Court upheld admissions processes that take into account a student’s background precisely on this point. To give you my personal take, I learned a lot as an undergrad from Chicana feminist students (that is not to say that you have to be a feminist or call yourself Chicana, just my experience).</p>