Accepted

• Claremont McKenna (attending)
    -UCSB
  • UCSC
  • Cal poly Pomona
  • and other state schools

Denied
-USC

• all the top UC"s (berkely, ucla, ucsd, davis, irvine)
    -cal poly slo

Will be attending Claremont McKenna

Objective:
SAT I (breakdown): 720 US history, 720 math2
ACT (breakdown): n/a
SAT II: 2180 / 2200 (super score)
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): very low - 3.3ish when i applied , 3.5 after 1st semester senior year
Weighted GPA: not sure 3.6?
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 300ish / 750ish
AP (place score in parenthesis): 5 on us history and 3 on chemistry
IB (place score in parenthesis): n/a
Senior Year Course Load: Ap comp sci, ap calc bc, ap gov, ap lit, honors physics
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): only local community service awards which i got senior year

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): fashion club (co-founder, president) nsbe(co-founder, treasurer) engineering mentorship program for 2 years, community activism
Job/Work Experience: tutor at my shool for 4 years (volunteer and paid) , math tutor for private company
Volunteer/Community service: my fashion club hosts a clothes drive for students to donate clothes and get hours, also do sporadic volunteering at my church and other organization
Summer Activities: boys state ca, cal poly slo EPIC engineering camp for 11th grade. other summers i did summer school hahaa
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 7-9?
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): hopefully a 10 on all fronts! i did win teacher’s fave at my school!

Teacher Rec #1: US history teacher. Got the highest grade in his class and an award for doing so, so im guessing a 10
Teacher Rec #2: hs calc teacher. The only student who actually came to class prepared and stayed afterschool to ask question. He loved me. 9/10
Counselor Rec: 10000. She definitely helped put my disadvantaged background into perspective for the adcoms.
Additional Rec: n/a
Interview: n/a

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: yes!!
Intended Major: computer science
State (if domestic applicant): CA
Country (if international applicant): n/a
School Type: public but top public school in LA (feeds into UC system primarily like 20 kids to each of the top ones)
Ethnicity: ethiopian
Income Bracket: middle class (70-80k)
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM duh, parents didn’t go to a 4 year college in this country so first gen)

• i think my background

Reflection:

Strengths: SAT score duhh (thank GOD!), essay went along with the mission statement of the school i’m atttending (it’s about becoming leaders and doers instead of watching on the sidelines), letters of recs definitely!, also my ethnicity probably helped at a private school, unique extracurriculars ( i didn’t list them all)
Weaknesses: GPA of course

General Comments: i’m so lucky and blessed to have gotten into the top 2 schools i got into (CMC and UCSB). College admissions is getting tougher and tougher every year. If you are a low gpa, high sat student like me please don’t get caught up on public colleges (like the UC) that won’t even give your application a chance because of the low gpa. It’s more prodcutive to apply to private schools that are willing to forgive a low gpa if you have an interesting story to tell, high sat, and/ or can add to their diversity. Good luck to everyone and remember if the haters are hating then keep marching!!!

Hey! I got the founders scholarship for Howard too! But I officially committed to UF :slight_smile:

Replying for my son

RESULTS:
Accepted to Brown, Pomona, Swarthmore, Case Western, Carnegie Mellon (SCS), Tufts, Grinnell, UCSD, U Pitt

Rejected by Stanford, MIT, U Cal Berkeley

Attending Carnegie Mellon

Objective:
SAT I: 2270
ACT : 33
SAT II: Math 2 (770), Chem (750), 3rd one was an 800, but don’t remember the subject
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): Don’t know
Weighted GPA: 4.2
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): N/A (school doesn’t do rankings)
AP (place score in parenthesis): Latin (5), Calc BC (5), Several others I don’t remember
IB (place score in parenthesis): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP Lang, Mutli Var, Parallel Computing, AP Gov, Senior research project, Comp Graphics, Geosystems
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Natl Merit Finalist

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
Job/Work Experience: Math camp counselor
Volunteer/Community service: Eagle scout project, plus food bank, plus other scout service projects
Summer Activities:travel, computer camp, teaching at math camp
Essays (rating 1-10, details):
Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1:
Teacher Rec #2:
Counselor Rec:
Additional Rec:
Interview:

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes but didn’t qualify (offered merit from a few schools)
Intended Major: Computer Science with interest in linguistics
State (if domestic applicant): VA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: public science magnet (selective)
Ethnicity: African-American
Income Bracket:
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Brown U legacy

Reflection:

Strengths:
Weaknesses:

General Comments: Spent some time on Naviance trying to determine which colleges have a higher than normal acceptance rate for kids from our high school to try to make smart choices about reach schools. Also found that selective LAC’s like to get STEM kids. Much higher ate of success (and offers of merit aid) from the small LAC’s than traditional STEM schools (MIT, Berkeley, CMU)

Updating finally to say I have selected Howard University for my education and was accepted into their 6 year BS/MD program as of today. Thanks to my scholarship, half of med school is paid off.

May students of the class of 2016 and those in the future reading this continue to be successful!
Now to go to bed.

@Nedcone enjoy Howard! A few of my family members(grandparents,aunt,and my mom,my dad did go there too,but he didn’t finish)have gone there and they love it(my grandparents work there too if that’s any indication)Maybe you’ll see my grandfather. He’s known to take off his shirt/yell/curse during the football/basketball games if the Bisons are losing and to dance at the games when music is playing,lol. So, yeah enjoy your time there! :slight_smile:

@Tookme10mins Thanks, and sounds great haha.

Thank you for posting! My son applied to HARVARD, 2021. He will open his decision letter, Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2016! #Yikes… COMPTON, CALIFORNIA