African American High-income Female Aiming for Ivy League [High stat, PA resident, chemistry/biology]

Demographics

• US citizen
  • State/Location of residency: Pennsylvania
  • Type of High School: Public
  • Gender/Race/Ethnicity: Black Ethiopian female
  • Other special factors: Non-Legacy, high income

Intended Major(s)
anything chemistry/biology related but my highly intended majors include:

• Molecular Biology
  • Biochemistry
  • Neuroscience
  • Neurobiology
  • Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology

GPA, Rank, and Test Scores (in progress)

• Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
  • Weighted HS GPA (incl. weighting system): 5.2, 0.2 boost for every AP class with a grade higher than a C+, 0.1 boost for every honors class with a grade higher than C+
  • College GPA (for transfers): N/A
  • Class Rank: 1/569
  • ACT/SAT Scores: 1560 SAT, no ACT

Coursework
(AP/IB/Dual Enrollment classes, AP/IB scores for high school; also include level of math and foreign language reached and any unusual academic electives; for transfers, describe your college courses and preparation for your intended major(s))
AP US History- 3
AP European History- 4
AP Biology- 5
AP Seminar- 4
AP Econ- 4
AP Calc AB- 4
AP Lang- 3
AP Chem- 5
AP Stats- 4
AP Calc BC- 4
AP Research- 4
AP Psych- 5
AP Physics 1- 3
2 Years of French
14/21 AP courses provided from my school

Awards (so far)
Valedictorian. National biotechnology finalist (TSA). 9th place Pennsylvania TSA placement for Prepared Presentation (state-wide finalist). 2nd place essays on technology regional TSA competition, 2nd place debating tech. issues regional TSA, 2nd place prepared presentation regional TSA, 3rd place children’s stories TSA regionals. Biology student of the year and many other science related awards from my school.

Extracurriculars

Regular school year stuff:

• Website created to provide STEM labs for students who might not have the opportunity to pursue their passions in STEM (financially or otherwise)- nationally recognized and users from all over the US and Canada
  • Published children books about biology, read at local libraries and classrooms, sell nationally
  • Founded a debate club at my high school, president (4 years)
  • Orchestra- section co-leader (9 years)
  • Student Council (4 years)
  • TSA- chapter vice president (3 years)
  • Key Club (4 years)
  • Treasurer of the Class of 2025 (class office) (4 years)
  • NHS president(2 years)
  • Science Olympiad (2 years)
  • Link crew (2 years)
  • Leukemia and Lymphoma Society missionary (2 years)
  • Biology and Chemistry tutor/peer tutor(2 years)
  • Recreational tennis player (3 years)

Summer:

• Brown university Precollege program: took two courses, 1. Psychopathology: Investigating the Biology and Psychology of Mental Illness 2. Techniques in Molecular Biology (in person lab experience)
  • Internships at biopharmaceutical company, helped publish a patent on drug discovery (my name was put on the patent)
  • Research with local neuroscientist
  • Yale Young Global Scholars
  • Harvard precollege program: course taken on molecular oncology: unravelling molecular Biology Techniques

Essays/LORs/Other
Common app. essay written about how my passion in biology started from watching Wild Kratt’s (a children’s TV show) as a little girl every day and I explain how throughout the uncertainties and conflictions during my life I always turned to biology as a “safe place” and subject of destress. Very strongly written, read and revised by around 5 reliable readers.
Supplement essays very strong.
LORs- Very strong, written by biology teacher of two years and counselors.

Cost Constraints / Budget

• Not exactly sure about this, but 12 month budget of ~$100,000

Schools
Please chance me on preferably my matches and reaches! Thanks so much!

• Safeties (all RD): University of Washington, Penn State, Hawaii Pacific University, University of Pittsburgh
  • Match(all RD except northeastern): Northeastern (ea), Tufts, NYU, UC Berkeley, Boston College
  • Reach (all RD except Princeton): Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Princeton (EA), Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, UPENN, Cornell, MIT, Duke

Checking for clarity….your family can pay up to $100,000 a year for college?

1 Like

Yes…around there, I didn’t get an actual number but that is an estimate!

anything is possible. hard to chance more precisely. someone knowledgeable needs to read your essays, look at your school’s past performance in placing kids etc. to chance more precisely.

3 Likes

I think I would add Berkeley to the reach list.
The reach list is all reaches…very low admission rates but you have an excellent admission set of credentials. Honestly, I can see you getting accepted at one of them at least. But they are so unpredictable lately…

I believe Princeton has SCEA. So I don’t think you can also do EA at Northeastern.

From the Princeton site:

Princeton University’s single-choice early action program is a nonbinding process. You may not apply to an early program at any other private college or university. However, please note the following: You may apply early to any public institution or service academy, as long as the decision is nonbinding.

I would suggest you apply to Pitt early. It’s a public and not binding. You will get an answer very quickly after your application is sent.

4 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks so much!

It’s April, and you are applying to college this autumn/winter, yes? Are you on a gap year? if not, how do you know that you are valedictorian? how do you have all your essays and LoRs written?

1 Like

Hi! I am applying this autumn yes. My school releases class rank after each quarter, and I have been consistently valedictorian throughout high school, and most likely going to be when I apply. Also, most of my essays are written already, and I just simulated my letters of recommendation for the fall based on what I think my teachers/counselors will say!

1 Like

Good luck! You can do it!

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also I should probably mention that I spoke with my recommenders already and I have confidence in their LORs : )

Is med school a possibility? Will you be a NMSF?

You have four safeties. You really only need two. Pitt would be a great option for bio. You would be competitive for Honors and a named scholarship. Apply early.

Your OOS schools like Berkeley and Washington would most likely be full price. Not sure they’re worth it.

4 Likes

Hi, yes med school is a possibility but probably unlikely at this point. Still looking into it however. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it :smile:

You should have at least an average chance with all of your schools, but as others have said how much better than average the chance is depends a lot on your high school’s historical success and the specifics of your application.

Given the time you have, I would recommend reconsidering your main essay topic. Yours sounds more appropriate for a supplement. AOs already know you are interested in biology because of your choice of major. Tell them something they don’t know about you.

What are you planning to submit in terms of AP scores to reach schools? As a whole, they aren’t as strong as your SAT score or class rank.

4 Likes

Yes. Often non academic main essays tend to be successful, because you can open and show another facet of your personality that is not apparent from the rest of the application, reccs etc.

3 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the advice on the essay! My high school has AROUND 5 students per year from the graduating class receiving acceptances to ivy league schools, I am not so sure about the stats for top 20s but it is probably around 15-20 students. In terms of AP scores, I am planning on sending scores that are accepted for credit along with scores pertaining to my major.

I think you have a very good chance at HYP. Your counselor could ask for a likely letter from Princeton.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Based on your academic interests, look into Amherst.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion :smile:

1 Like