African American High-income Female Aiming for Ivy League [High stat, PA resident, chemistry/biology]

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments in high school. I think you will be a very attractive candidate to a number of schools. Have you thought about Howard, particularly its science scholar program? @ChangeTheGame knows more about it, and the students that make it are quite amazing.

I’m not as confident that all of your safeties are safeties. Hawaii Pacific, yes. The others, no. I believe that most of the sciences are impacted majors at U. of Washington and even strong in-state students didn’t get an acceptance (@bethy1, @JBSeattle might be able to give a better estimate). A student just posted this evening with a 4.0UW/5.7W GPA with a 1550 SAT and 5s on all 9 AP tests taken so far who did not get into the main campus at Penn State and was waitlisted at Pitt. If you apply to Pitt early (I’m talking August), you should learn quickly whether or not you got in…and once you have that admit in your hand, then you’re golden. But make sure that you would be happy to attend any of your safeties, especially since those might be your only acceptances. Any school where you can apply EA, apply EA, because many of the popular big state programs are filling up many of their seats via EA, leaving precious little for RD applicants.

I’m just noticing that you’re in Pennsylvania (doh!) so I think Penn State and Pitt are definitely likelies, I just don’t know if they’re so likely as to be considered a safety. Perhaps @Creekland has more insight?

As mentioned earlier, EA at Northeastern won’t be possible if you’re applying REA to Princeton. And frankly, I’d put all of these as reach schools. Once a school is accepting 20% or fewer of its applicants, and the vast majority of applicants are really high caliber students, then I think it’s a reach no matter how strong the applicant.

Some other schools you may want to consider include:

• Brandeis (MA)
  • Case Western (OH)
  • College of William & Mary (VA)
  • Duquesne (PA )
  • Macalester (MN)
  • Rhodes (TN)
  • Smith (MA) - women’s college
  • U. of Minnesota
  • U. of Rochester (NY)
  • Vassar (NY)
4 Likes