African-American HS Class of 2020

@caged_bird , please share your links!

@Holayetsf SUPER competitive. U Chicago is her reach school. I have to admit that throughout high school, I’ve watched my daughter run herself into the ground to stay in the top 5% of a senior class of 850 students. I worry about her continuing this and ultimately burning out early in her college years
I hope your DD gets accepted?. What’s her intended major?

You’re exactly describing my daughter. She is attending a selective enrollment high school and she she is always stressed. She wants to do biology and planning to go to medical school.
And your daughter?

Parent here
daughter is in a prep school on a full 4 year scholarship. I know the chances of getting this kind of scholarship for a college is slim, especially with our income. She’s interested in computer science and sustainability. I am not as interested in the school as I am in her graduating debt free. We are focusing on the mid-atlantic/New England area to avoid costly transportation back and forth as well. FAFSA & CSS are completed.

Thank you for posting this, I had given up on CC because of certain comments and such but came back tonight and found this. Thanks for this info.

We have 17 schools with 5 EA and the remainder RD. The goal is to get all of the applications in by Thanksgiving so she can exhale and focus on school. She completed most of her visits to all except 3 schools during her Junior year as well as SAT & ACTs. She was invited to 2 fly-ins with one left to attend this week. This process is not for the faint hearted.

@momofthree80 My son went to Howard’s Homecoming (his sister is a Howard sophomore) and homecoming weekend definitely made an positive impression.

I wanted to check in with posters and see how the scholarship hunting has been going? My son applied to the Coca-Cola Scholarship and is working on some Alumni Scholarships to some of the schools he is applying to along with Tulane’s 2 full tuition scholarship programs that they have. His goal is to continue applying to both internal and external scholarships until he has the Cost of Attendance at one of his choices which would sure be nice for his parents;)

This is hilarious!!! Ok so my daughter is majoring in biology as well. Ultimately she wants to go into reproductive endocrinology, which would be an OBGYN track. Our dentist told her to be open minded because she may want to change and be a surgeon?. She is for certain that she wants to be a doctor. We’ve done research and watched a ton of videos. And most seem to suggest that U Chicago can be a challenge for “pre-med” students because of the teaching style and curriculum. Her reach school was Columbia, but we were not happy with their required core curriculum. If I didn’t get my way with her going to Howard, I think my second choice for her would be Vanderbilt for a pre-med track.

@ChangeTheGame Listen, when we went to homecoming, even I was impressed! Just seeing all the black excellence was just a breath of fresh air! It was like I was on another planet! In another post, you mentioned the Bison Stem program. I looked into it, and students have to obtain a PHD and MD. Just not MD alone. Also DD said she doesn’t want to apply for it. I think she’s just worn out. I’m thinking about making her apply anyway.

@MomOfThree80 I read about how hard is for students to have a high GPA at UChicago because how challenging classes can be and this being an issue when applying at medical school. This worries me, but at the end of the day they would have an excellent education and they meet 100% demonstrated financial need without loans. I have a junior in college as well.
Good luck!!

@MomOfThree80 We may find out something about Howard institutional scholarships this year (mid-December) before the Bison STEM Scholars application is due (Jan. 15th) so you could wait. This is directly from Howard’s Domestic Admissions page:

“Early Action (EA) is a nonbinding admission plan. EA allows high achieving students the opportunity to receive their admission decision early in the admissions process. EA acceptance decisions are provided to students in December. Scholarships are also awarded at this time for all accepted Early Action & Early Decision applicants that meet the specific requirements.”

https://www2.howard.edu/admission/undergraduate/domestic

Question
Is there anyone in this group who is not considering any HBCUs at all? If so, why not? Not looking for any drama at all, just looking for some info. Thanks.

@Sarrip , my son has applied to 3 HBCUS and may end up applying to another, but none are now among his top choices.

He understands (as much as he can) that HBCUs provide a nurturing environment for young black minds to grow and mature. He appreciates that option. And he believes there are great educational opportunities on many HBCU campuses.

But ultimately his desire is to attend a school more diverse. He doesn’t want to be on a campus that is 90% white, nor 90% black. Some of his favorites at this point have no more than 60% of any one race, and some have no more than 50%.

It’s kind of a tightrope to walk, satisfying his educational wants, and his location wants, and his diversity wants, and his other requirements 
 not to mention finding all that at a school he can be admitted to and I can afford.

I hate I forgot all about Howard’s homecoming. I wanted to attend part of that with him. I think that might have helped push the needle for him.

Disclosure: many members of my family attended HBCUs. My father was a college professor who initiated the first Black History curriculum at the HBCU where he taught. My grandfather founded a black high school in the south at a time when blacks in that part of the state were not legally allowed to attend high school. I appreciate the history of HBCUs, but I don’t want my son to feel pressured to attend an HBCU. It is 100% up to him.

I am happy to see this thread has become so robust. D20 has not applied to any HBCU’s . I don’t want to start a debate but she just was not really that interested. Her interest was a little piqued by Howard early in the process and I thought it would have been a great, supportive environment and provided a good undergrad education and experience but her interest waned and she did not end up applying.

@sarrip I know quite a few African Americans class of 2020 students who are not considering any HBCUs. I believe it is okay either way because each student should be looking for the right fit (financially, academically, and socially) for them and I am proud of each of our students who go to college (and even those who don’t but have a plan).

I think my kids have been affected by a family legacy (Great grandparents, grandparents, and parents have attended HBCUs) and see HBCUs as the next step even though they have a world of options and are the 1st generation of our families to grow up in a diverse environment (which has slightly surprised me because that is not the normal choice among their black friends). At the end of the day, my wife and I just want to see our kids happy and thriving and we would be happy with any school that could provide that environment.

My husband attended an HBCU and I didn’t. I’m often very envious of all the black history that he learned at his school and the self confidence that he had when he conducts Board meetings in a room where he is the only black. My DD wasn’t interested in HBCUs either. I asked her to consider Howard. She was Extremely hesitant. After a weekend in DC for homecoming, hearing the President speak (who also happens to be a surgeon), and visiting the National Museum of African American History, I believe Howard is tied with U Chicago for first choice. As a Mom that attended a PWI, I am going to strongly encourage DD to attend an HBCUâ˜ș

1 Like

applied ea to stanford so that’s a bit of a confidence booster lol

@caged_bird I would also love to see your list. Please do post or PM me. I have a DD21 so any ED/EA statistical information would be greatly appreciated

@ChangeTheGame , thank you for responding. My husband is disappointed that none of our children considered HBCU. Neither of us attended an HBCU due to family circumstances so we were commuters. Our youngest is graduating 2020 and is not considering any either. She wants a more diverse campus due to having gone to elementary and middle school in an urban area and not feeling accepted. She did not feel like she fit in. She was referred to in school as the “Oreo”. She then went to a college preparatory high school where she is very much the minority but was very much accepted.

@Sarrip I do think my wife and I would have been quietly disappointed if our kids did not at least consider applying to an HBCU. My daughter is currently so happy and living the life of her dreams at Howard (like minded friends, full-ride scholarship, 4.0 GPA, a great internship at a top 20 school after her 1st year etc.), which has helped my son believe that a HBCU would be the best choice for him for his undergraduate education. I am so sorry that your daughter had to endure taunts, but I am glad that she has found a place where she has been accepted and hope that she finds more of the same at her future college.

My son received his acceptance to North Carolina A&T this weekend and was excited because it is one of his top 3 schools. Now, we wait for the Honors college decision and whether he will get to the interview portion of their competitive full ride scholarships (Dowdy and Cheatham-White Scholarships). while he is still working on the NCAT Alumni Scholarship essay and application (another full ride scholarship). African American class of 2020, don’t forget to continue to apply for scholarships (even the small ones add up). Good luck to you all and please keep the updates coming.

Good luck all. I’m a parent of sophomore attending school in Boston. If you have any questions about New England area schools, I have a pretty good feel for most.

I’m a French Canadian, second gen American - Caucasian. Believe me when I tell you that the parents with the most concern on the “admissions preference“ front on CC are primarily not “white“ parents. And tbh I dont see much push back on race based affirmative action much at all. It’s more along the donor, income based and legacy advantages/issues that get people hot.

I wish you all the best and @ChangeTheGame is real source of wisdom on many of these issues. I’ll be rooting for you all!