African American students who attended or are currently attending Rice University.

This question is directed solely to African American students who attended or are currently Rice University. Do you have any personal knowledge as to whether AA students at Rice get research opportunities as often as non-AA students in the science field? If so, what are your observations?

This question is directed to a niche of members on CC. I am hoping to obtain first hand information from actual students, not college advisors. And yes, I appreciate that you are providing only your opinion, not documented facts. Thank you in advance for confining your responses to the question posed.

@Tampa2015 I’m not a Rice student or alumni but the obvious answer is mostly like no … AA students don’t get as many opportunities as non-AA (whether they are aware of it or not). Don’t be surprised if you run across Rice faculty/students who feel you only got in b/c you’re a diversity quota and not on your outstanding academic record (happened to my friend at Harvard). With that said, it doesn’t mean you can’t be successful or get opportunities. It just means you need to be vigilante and that much more persistent than non-AA.

There was a study by Gallup in 2014 that showed that AA at HBCUs were better off when it came to opportunities and support compared to AA who went to non-HBCUs. BTW some Rice AA students are known to hang out at Texas Southern University to get their cultural fix, the only HBCU in the city that’s only 5 miles away.

Below is the Rice BSA … there are emails listed of the executive board. Create a fake email account and send them anonymous questions if you’re concerned about your identity being revealed. I’m almost sure they’re more than willing to help.
http://bsa.rice.edu/home/officer-contact-information