After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

I just got mine today and I was accepted on the 26th of October!!!

2 Likes

From the Woodlands to College Station, not a good idea to drive.
A lot of condos and apartments sharing about $500 a month you have your own room. May not be a very nice room just make sure it is along the free campus bus route.

With so much DC, you can retake some to boost your GPA and have extra time to get a part time job to pay for that $500 a month room. Even better you can just stay at the dorm.

Classes in TAMU can be time consuming, it is not just show up in class and get back home, you have projects that you need to stay extra hours on campus.

1 Like

The problem is that they aren’t comfortable with me living by myself.

Does anyone have a sample schedule of what the New Student Conference may look like? We’re traveling from out of state and wondering if we should plan on coming the day before if it starts early on Day 1.

Thanks

@kcmodad NSC Day 1 starts at 8:30 or 9:00 am, so yes you definitely need to travel the night before. Depending on the major, Day 2 is over between 2-4:00ish.

A&M isn’t a commuter school. U of H is more of a commuter school than A&M

1 Like

lol
I would live on campus if I could, but I’m 14.

1 Like

To piggyback on an earlier question about paying the housing deposit before registering for NSC / accepting admission to TAMU, how do you do that?

Asking for a friend (top 10% auto admit). My DS is not admitted (review applicant still waiting), so we cannot see how to do it ourselves. His friend says the system is making him register for NSC first, but he is reluctant to commit to TAMU until he hears from other schools. DS is hoping the friend can pay housing deposit now to the extent they can be roommates at TAMU, but again the fiend says he is first being prompted to register for NSC. After reading this site, I feel certain that it is possible to pay the deposit without the NSC. The friend must be missing something. What can he do?

@ashill77 paying Housing deposit and signing up for NSC are completely separate. One does not depend on the other.
There should be a ‘apply for Housing’ button somewhere (my Aggie did it all, in 2019) so I’m not sure where it is found.
Signing up for NSC is ‘committing’ to TAMU. You can wait as long as you want to sign up for NSC, especially if you’re waiting to hear from others colleges.
Paying Housing deposit is simply securing a bed on campus, for dorm selection in the spring. The deposit is non-refundable, and if a student decides to go to another school, they simply cancel the Housing contract prior to May 1, and they are off the hook.
You definitely do NOT have to sign up for NSC, to pay Housing deposit.

3 Likes

Go into howdy, not the AIS. Once in Howdy, there is a link that says “on campus housing”. Click that and it takes you to the housing portal. Complete phase 1 there.

2 Likes

Has your designated driver made the trip to Tamu already so they understand what the drive will be like? If not, yall should drive up there during the week, getting there before 8am, and then leaving in the afternoon. That might be a typical day for next year, 4 or 5 days a week. And also, your driver needs to realize they need to find something to do up there while you are in class , maybe going to the mall or a park? Please let your driver really know what is involved
a bus to U of H might be looking pretty good in the eyes of the driver.

5 Likes

I agree. Although your daughter doesn’t have much free time now, she will have an easier time her freshman year. I have talked to young engineers at my work that even though they took AP in HS chose to retake the calculus in college and said it gave them confidence and an A.

I understand. It sounds like a good plan for engineering or other STEM majors. I have found a facebook group for my daughter’s major (visualization) recently and they do routinely take the ap credit and then take calc 2 at community college in the summer and they are then done with math. :grinning: They also take physics at community college another summer. It makes sense for anyone who is going on to higher level math or science to take it at A&M and be well prepped for higher level courses. But for other majors they are just knocking out the required calc and physics and then they are done with math and science and focus on their major. These classes will be her highest level of math and sciences classes. Whereas for STEM majors they are just the beginning. :grinning:

1 Like

We toured TAMU, but not that early in the morning. What you’re saying makes a lot of sense and we’ll definitely take the drive into consideration. Thanks!

3 Likes

@Texas231343 i agree, your parents definitely need to make some mock drives with you, during a regular school day. High chance you could get at least 1 8:00 a.m. class, and another 2:00 p.m. class. You won’t have much option when you register at NSC, especially since you have a lot of dual credit-you’ll be limited to what you can take, but still considered a freshman. It gets complicated, and your schedule may not be ideal.
You also need to make a few trial runs on the UH bus, spend all day on campus, etc. Get a feel for both campuses, the commute and environment.
You’ve got 2 great options!

1 Like

Will we receive an email about Aggieland in February? We’ve been told to go but aren’t sure how and when to register. Is it safe assume we will get an email to register for it?

Aggieland Saturday will be widely publicized. They haven’t updated their web page yet:

https://admissions.tamu.edu/agsat

If I recall correctly for the last Aggieland Saturday in 2020, they didn’t post the info until January, and then it was about a week before the event when they posted the full schedule. Registration is recommended, but not required.

BTW, if you want to see the “Calling All Juniors” presentation from 2018, it’s on YouTube:

The main presentation is a few years old so the numbers might be off, and they don’t do Academic Admits anymore, but the rest of the info is helpful. But as the title states, it’s really aimed at Juniors who are thinking of applying.

Of course, there are plenty of other things to do – take official tours, eat in the dining halls, watch the Aggie band, etc. For us the Engineering fair at Zachry was great; we got to visit with all the departments and learn more about each major. Another fair in the MSC for other organizations. And the dorm tours on both Northside and Southside were fun.

1 Like

@martinezcs normally Aggieland Saturday has a Facebook event/page with details. I think that’s the only way we found out about it, maybe we got a flyer in the mail. You can always Google, too.
Facebook & Instagram are definitely the best way to find out about events-for parents.
All communication goes to the student, so make sure she gets in the habit of checking Howdy and TAMU email often, especially after the holidays.

1 Like

My son received an email from his department recruiter to save the date for Aggieland. No info was in it about needing to register. Just the date (along with dates for some extra invited add-on stuff). I assume we will find out more much closer to the actual date.

1 Like

Rank - Top Quarter (OOS - school does not rank)
GPA - 3.88
Test scores - 33 ACT
Major - Computer Engineering
Date of App - Apply Texas submitted 9/3; SRAR linked and all green checks 9/7
Date of decision - 7 tabs on 11/3; AIS updated on 11/4; official “WHOOP! You have been ADMITTED” on Howdy on 11/9
Extras: 4 years of theater, 4 years of JROTC, only 2 AP classes

4 Likes