After Admitted to TAMU Class of 2026... Whoop!

They went over it all at the national scholar day earlier this fall which my daughter and I attended virtually via zoom. They said that the student gets the national merit scholarship or the college board national recognition scholarship, the larger, but not both. Then that national scholar scholarship is stackable with one academic scholarship (e.g. PES or Lechner or McFadden).
Also it says on their website regarding students who have multiple national scholar designations: “Students who have multiple designations will only receive the scholarship offer that can lead to the highest valued scholarship package.”
https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Scholarship-Programs/National-Scholars

6 Likes

Howdy! Whoop! Son excited to be admitted to Mays 2 days before Christmas! So- can someone shed light on the tuition code thing?? I’m new to this. Which did you choose and why thanks!

1 Like

Congrats! NO RUSH to select Fixed or Variable, just has to be selected by NSC. Join the Aggie Parent FB pages, use the :mag_right:, asked OFTEN.
Most pressing issue is to pay Housing deposit, if son plans to live on campus.

2 Likes

In phase 2, there is an optional thing labeled “opt in to roommate selection” on the TAMU housing website. Does anyone know what this means? Does this mean if you already have a roommate in mind, you name them now?

@Smoren01 , if your son checks “opt in to roommate selection,” that means he wants to participate in the Roommate Selection process (Phase 3) in mid-Spring. This is when he can search other people’s profiles and allow his profile to be searchable to match with a roommate. This is also when he can name/link to a roommate he already has in mind. The ResLife Application page has videos explaining each phase of the housing application process.

2 Likes

Hi All! My understanding is that college’s standardize the student’s GPA for admissions. For the purposes of the scholarships do they as well? My daughter’s school had this really weird low scale (a 95% = 3.5 unweighted GPA.) Well, we just got a letter that the school board decided to standardize the scale to be more in line with other schools. So a 95% is now a 3.8 unweighted GPA. They said new transcripts will be available later this month. I’m wondering if there is any point in submitting updated transcript with the new unweighted GPA? Rank remains unchanged. Weighted remains unchanged. She is already admitted and they are announcing other scholarships later in January. I’m thinking it will be too late. But I’m hoping the TAMU scholarship committee is looking at the GPA that admissions recalculated on a standard scale anyway?

If you have formal letter about that you can upload to AIS or contact TAMU scholarship email.

4 Likes

@martinezcs there’s no harm in uploading the new transcript, but not sure if that’ll make a huge difference. And no guarantee the scholarship committee hasn’t already reviewed her file. Scholarships aren’t based solely on gpa or rank, if that helps.

1 Like

@FriscoDad @52AG82 We emailed the scholarship office and attached the letter. The updated transcript isn’t available yet but will be sometime this month. Will see what they say!

2 Likes

Hoping I can get some insight as my son makes a decision weighing TAMU and another school. My son is OOS and TAMU is his first choice. He did not get in Mays but got in Econ his second choice major with some merit aid. He is very interested in MIS as a major in Mays so quite disappointed that did not happen. He has got into a tech/MIS program at another large state school that is also highly ranked for the major. However it’s not his first choice school!
So- he could do Econ with a business or MIS minor at TAMU if the transfer doesn’t happen and try to make it work for a tech job after college. Or he could do to a major more aligned with his interests at a school he’s not that thrilled to attend!
Looking for thoughts from folks who know a bit about Econ and MIS at TAMU. What would you do? How would you advise such a student? Who can I talk to at TAMU to get more info so son makes the best choice? Thanks!

1 Like

I am curious, my S21 is an OOS NMSF. He was admitted awhile ago and was awarded a Maroon Merit. He has heard nothing on PES. Since Brown seems to have passed, he has lost interest in A&M, but as a NMSF, isn’t PES automatic?

Brown is ongoing till Feb. PES mostly fully announced (and loaded in your financial aid portal in Howdy) by March when admission is closing. So you still have good chance for more.

1 Like

Good Luck and Happy New Year! Note that admission work from home this week so they may not reply until next week.

3 Likes

@Peruna1998 has your son committed to TAMU/booked NSC? That could be the hold up, if he hasn’t accepted yet. PES might not be formal until February. Have student check FinAid tab in Howdy Portal for all scholarship, grants & financial aid offers.

@ceramicmom has your son looked into the MIS 4+1 program? Might be ideal!
He’s been given a merit scholarship already? That’s great, and early!
https://mays.tamu.edu/ms-management-information-systems/41-application-process/

2 Likes

We just got a reply that said “Everyone is given a weighted GPA based on the Student Reported Academic Record you completed when you applied to TAMU. When reviewing students for scholarships we look at the whole student (academically and non-academically) when awarding our scholarships. Some of the criteria we look at includes but is not limited to test scores, GPA, academic achievement, rigorous course load, extracurricular activities, leadership, community service, honor, and awards (academic and non-academic), commitment and longevity, special talent, employment, achievement under difficult circumstance, and/or financial need.”

So I guess they recalculate GPA anyway so it shouldn’t matter what the school GPA scale is.

1 Like

It makes sense for whatever algorithmic score that the Admissions office had (based on the SRAR and other numerous factors) to be passed over to the Scholarships office to save time in reviewing applicants.

BTW, this article titled “Prestigious colleges reveal the secret formula for deciding who gets in” is an interesting read.

3 Likes

Good Luck on scholarships!
Not all classes reported in SRAR count towards the TAMU calculated GPA so this answer from TAMU is normal. At the same time some college prep classes in SRAR count as heavy as APs in TAMU.

2 Likes

@52AG82 No. It is my understanding that if S22 is considering other schools, then he should not commit to TAMU or book NSC. So he has not.

@Peruna1998 yes, that’s correct. That could be why your son hasn’t been offered PES yet. My ‘23 Aggie (NM Commended) didn’t ‘accept’/register for NSC until February; she was awarded PES almost immediately after she committed.

2 Likes