After self studying AP calc for college admissions

I am currently in 11th and deciding what classes to take next year.
In 10th grade, I self-studied AP calc BC because I was bored in math class and wanted to learn more (I would be taking it in 12th grade if I had not self-studied). I got a 5. However, I heard colleges have negative impressions of those who self-study classes that their school offers - what can I do now to make up for that?

What other APs does your school offer that you haven’t taken? Which interest you? What are you thinking about majoring in?

Colleges prefer students take an AP class if the school offers it because they want to see your grade. So if your school offered the class, and you chose to self study it instead, that’s a wasted opportunity to get a good grade. Grades are always the most important element of your application.

1 Like

What are your math options in school for senior year? Do you have an opportunity to take a higher level math course at your school or through DE? That would be my recommendation for senior year math. If you get a good grade in that next math sequence, it won’t matter that you self studied for BC calc.

It’s not that they have negative impressions; it’s just self studying adds nothing to an application.

If you have post-BC options at your HS or through DE, take those.

4 Likes

If you had not taken the AP exam through the college board, then self-study wouldn’t add anything to your application. However, since you took the exam and got a 5, my suggestion is to be sure to bring that out in your application. It confirms that your self-study was one of discipline and rigorous enough to achieve the highest score possible on the actual exam. You can use this as an opportunity to highlight these positive qualities since your score confirms things.

4 Likes

Other than listing the score, my suggestion is to say nothing further about it in the application. There is nothing that can be said that will be viewed in a positive light in these circumstances IMO; the OP simpky needs to avoid casting it in a negative light. And given the disproportionate percentage of 5’s on this exam, admittedly from a very self-selecting group, this is not a feat to highlight.

Now if the high school didn’t offer calculus, my answer would be slightly different.

3 Likes

I would still disagree given that only 20% or so of all students (most of whom take the AP class) get a score of 5. In the end, I do agree that GPA is far more important.

41%

I want to major in math, and will definitely be taking other APs next year. just want to get ideas for how to make up for the lack of a grade

Thanks for the advice! I will try to find colleges to DE to, don’t have any near me but will try to do the cornell / stanford online ones

Thank you for the correction. I was mistaken and recalling the AB exam. Still, most people do not get a 5 even having taken the AP course, so the fact that someone can do this with self-study shows discipline.

I would totally put it in the essay somewhere. Even a one liner of not feeling challenged in math so I self studied… It’s impressive and shows the student is driven and has the ability to do this during the school year. I only see positives from this. As long as he finishes and or exceeds what his school offers. At my son’s school they used to end at Calc 3. Wonder also what the students showing rigor at this school go to in math.

2 Likes

I would think most college admissions would be pretty impressed if you got a 5 on an AP calc test any way you slice it. Doing it without the benefit of instruction or a class lecture is perhaps even more impressive than the standard route since it shows a great amount of discipline and understanding of the material, which you were able to accomplish on your own.

Discussions with AO’s, and their other writings/responses on this topic, tell me this is not the case. They are impressed if you get an A after a full year of classroom education, class discussion, homework, tests, etc.

Trying to clarify the role of AP courses in the MIT admissions process.

It is true that few students who had the option to take AP Calculus and an AP science (or similarly advanced calculus and science curricula, such as IB, A level, college classes, etc.) and chose, for no good reason, not to take them, find themselves admitted. And many students will avail themselves of further advanced coursework. For many students, we do see their creativity and excitement for learning coming through most clearly in the classroom and related activities, and when we see this, we do pay attention.
…AP scores are not part of an admission formula.

1 Like

@Ziplox was banned. So the OP should view that advice in context