Age of consent in Alabama is 19?

<p>I was just on the parent site on a post about being far away from home when one of the posters mentioned that the age of consent in Alabama is 19. I am not sure what the poster meant but it was in context of medical issues. Does anyone know of any problems with an 18 year old being at UA (or a 17 year old as my S will be 17 for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the semester.)</p>

<p>Kids are legally adult in Alabama at age 19.</p>

<p>The student health center treats all students regardless of age. </p>

<p>I’ve never heard of anyone having any issues for other purposes, except when opening a bank acct here… If you’re under 19, your parent has to be on the acct as well.</p>

<p>I think the students need to be 19 years old to purchase cough medicine. So pack some meds for your child. There may be other reasons you need to be 19.</p>

<p>Yes, there are certain cold meds (the ones that are used to make crystal meth) that are controlled, so if your child needs those, buy a box for him/her.</p>

<p>OTC medicines that contain ephedrine and pseudoephedrine require ID (19) to purchase. In some of the cough, decongestant and allergy medicines. Check what you usually use at home, since that is what your child is familiar with, and if it does have it just be sure you get it for their “medicine/first aid kits” beforehand.</p>

<p>Aside from the cold medicine, your student may find out that there are some concerts etc. where they need to be over 19 (and I think R rated movies are 19+ as well.)</p>

<p>I am pretty sure R-rated movies are 17+.</p>

<p>R-rated movies are 17+…in Alabama as well.</p>

<p>I’ve never heard of any concerts that are 19+ in Alabama. If there are some, they must include some nudity or something nasty enough that who’d want to see it any way?</p>

<p>You don’t need to really fear anything about the age 19 thing.</p>

<p>If you’re concerned about emergency medical treatment, your child will be treated in an emergency. If you’re concerned about treatment of minor health issues, the school will treat all students regardless of age. </p>

<p>I’m not sure if you need to provide a signed note to your sub-19 child so that they can receive non-emergency treatment elsewhere or not.</p>

<p>Last year D went to go to a concert on the strip or downtown (a student group raising funds at a restaurant) and because she was under 19 she had a different colored wristband and was allowed in the restaurant part of the establishment but wasn’t supposed to be able to enter the part where the kids were performing (it wasn’t anything racy.) </p>

<p>As for the movies, here in TN you are supposed to be 18 to see an R movie; DH & I think it’s silly, but my kids for whatever bizarre reason are/were the ultimate rule followers and won’t/wouldn’t go even if we said it was fine. Whatever. I thought I remembered D1 saying that the movie age in AL was 19 when she told me about the concert situation but I could have confused them; I’ll ask her when we chat. And of course, that only applies if your kiddo lets it; I don’t believe they’re checking IDs at the door ;)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Yes, areas that are primarily bars with music (like The Dixie) require guests to be 19…that’s Alabama law.</p>

<p>Except for voting and being tried for crimes as an adult, the age of majority in Alabama is 19 and becomes relevant when one least expects it. For example, the Residence hall Association recently held a couple “block parties” with food, bouncy houses/slides, and a mechanical bull. Students had to be 19 to participate unless they had a parent/guardian sign the indemnity agreement.</p>

<p>The age of consent in Alabama is 16 except in some cases where it is 18.</p>

<p>My mistake about the movies in AL, but D said that the problem with the 19+ concert was that it was in a restaurant that served alcohol (which I still don’t understand; 19 year olds can’t drink either.)</p>

<p>^^</p>

<p>Yes, there is some kind of law here (a nightclub law???) that if you’re under 19, you’re not allowed in. Those under 21 have a different colored wrist band.</p>

<p>I think this was to keep high school kids out of nightclubs.</p>

<p>If it’s a regular restaurant that serves alcohol, that’s not a problem…but maybe in the bar area???</p>

<p>When we went on the tour they gave us a paper detailing the rules and such for Tuscaloosa. Luckily my son will be 19 in November. I’m sure kids will help their friends out anyway.</p>

<p>Most bars and clubs in other states have a minimum age of 18 or 21 depending on their liquor license and operator preference. In Alabama, the ages are 19 or 21. </p>

<p>For the record, college and university students are exempt from Tuscaloosa’s curfew for those under 19.</p>