Aim Rejection and "Cadet for A Day"

<p>Today I received a letter that I have been rejected from the Coast Guard AIM Summer Program. I thought I had amazing stats except for my G.P.A, I slacked of my freshman year in high school, but I’m an amazing student right know with awesome credentials. All I wanted to know if did anyone receive a letter stating how they got rejected but are still wanted for class 2014 and “Cadet for A Day”. ( I have been dreaming about this school ever since my grandfather told me about in in fifth grade)</p>

<p>Dear ******,</p>

<p>Thank you for applying to the U.S Coast Guard Academy Introduction (AIM) Program. A record number of high school senior joined you in applying this year. I’m pleased to let you know the review committee was impressed with your record, finding you among a select select group of students well qualified to attend AIM. Unfortunately, we were not able to offer a spot to all of the students with your qualifications. Therefore you faired well in the review process, and your name was submitted to this pool, you were not selected in the lottery.</p>

<p>Because you have great potential for admissions next year, I would like to invite you to participate in am overnight visit this fall “Cadet for A Day,” as part of a special program reserved only for students we consider to be strong potential candidates to class of 2014. Space is limited to 40 students per week…etc.</p>

<li>Did you receive this same letter or some other type of rejection letter?</li>
<li>Has anybody gone to “Cadet for A Day”?, how is it, is it well worth it and a life changing experience like AIM ( I need to since Connecticut is far away and plane tickets tend to be a little expensive)</li>
<li>Do you think everyone gets this letter as a let down easily rejection from Coast Guard?</li>
<li><p>For everyone who got accepted to AIM Summer Program, Congratulations!!!</p>

<p>Thank you, =]</p></li>
</ol>

<p>This is not a form letter...not everyone gets the same one you did. They are telling you in no uncertain terms that you are a VERY STRONG candidate for admission to the Class of 2014. They literally don't have enough room for everybody.</p>

<p>Many graduates, including my own son, did not go to AIM. </p>

<p>You should take advantage of the "Cadet for a Day" program. Although it is very brief, I think it will give you a good feel for the Academy experience. I know you are disappointed, but this is just a small speed bump along the way.</p>

<p>By attending this program, you will send a strong signal to the admissions staff that you are very much interested in attending the CGA.</p>

<p>So take a deep breath, keep working hard, and make an appointment to come to New London sometime this fall. I don't think you'll regret it. Good luck.</p>

<p>That's the same letter my son got two years ago. It is not a rejection, rather a statement about your very strong qualifications. The truth is that they can't accept everyone they'd like to into AIM.</p>

<p>FYI, my son was accepted to the Academy in the early decision process and has finished his swab year and is now on a training cruise on the Eagle in the Mediterranean! Keep working at it, and definitely do the cadet for a day if you can fit it in.</p>

<p>Thank you Boss51, and Haroldg48 for the advice, you guys really put my hopes up!
One question though Haroldg48 and Boss51, what did your son do to strengthen his application for admission to look at and be impressed?</p>

<p>-Thank you for everything!!!</p>

<p>He really did nothing except finish his junior year strongly and continue to take a full and challenging course load in his senior year. Keep in mind that from mid-May until November 1 there wasn't much that could be done except to complete the application process, get the recommendations and do everything on time and well. If your SAT scores were marginal, you could retake them, but he didn't need to do that.</p>

<p>yeah I got the exact same letter, did you end up going to Cadet for a Day?</p>

<p>I want to point out something that i've mentioned to several beansprouts who show up here and say that they didnt get accepted to aim. While rumors have it that maybe being selected for aim shows you are a little more qualified at the time than other applicants (which probably isnt even all that true, especially when you look at the large number of applicants and the limited number that we can take over the summer), that aside, aim and the cadet for a day (beansprout) program give two very different insights on the academy. I was an aimster back when i was in highschool, and while it was a good program and i got to stay here for a week, i didnt see any part of how the majority of the time here is spent, ie. the academic year. Aim gives you a better look at swab summer, and then a little taste of the academy. The thing is, is that swab summer is what you will be doing for ONE summer out of the 4 years you'll be here (with the exception 2/c summer but thats different). So as a former aimster.....when i completed swab summer, i had no idea what the normal cadet/academic life here at the academy would be like and i was kinda in shock after swab summer ended and the school year started. While the beansprout program doesnt include staying here for a week, it atleast lets you see how you will be spending the majority of the your time here and what it will be like. So to sum it up, they are both great programs, they just give two different fairly different insights on the academy. oh, and if you get into aim....have fun cause i'll be yelling at you this summer ;)</p>

<p>Our son was also rejected for the AIM program. We confess to being a bit miffed since he would appear to be the model candidate for USCGA. He is ranked 2 of 214 in his class, has a 4.15 GPA, is already taking 2 college courses (as a junior), was an All-State linebacker on his school’s state championship team, finished 2nd in states in wrestling for his wt group, and has significant leadership experience to include being his school’s rep to the mayor’s youth leadership team. He also is very aware of the rigors of a military life (I’m a retired naval officer and USNA grad).</p>

<p>Bottom line, this rejection has very much soured him (and us) and we are leaning towards simply going with one of the other service academies (he was accepted to the other two summer programs - at USNA and USMA) that he applied to. We are seeing comments about acceptance to AIM being all “luck”… frankly, we’re finding this a bit hard to believe… otherwise, why all the information (to include essays and recommendations) if the process is simply a hit or miss lottery?</p>

<p>USNA85, no need to feel so discouraged. From what I understand, lack of AIM experience is no barrier to admission to the academy, which is certainly true in our situation. Lake Jr., will be a swab this summer.</p>