Alabama ChemE vs others

How is chemE program at Alabama. Even though it isn’t ranked it seems pretty good.
How hard is it tho compared to UC schools? or even other good schools- UMTC/ UT/ GTech?

It is very challenging. My son was a chemE major at Alabama

how often did he class per week?
and how much freet time did he have (no studying and homework inlcuded)

The ChemE program there is ABET accredited, meaning they believe a student who graduates from that program has the potential to be a competent chemical engineer. Potential employers may be aware that the level of rigor may not match some of the top name engineering schools, however. If you were to graduate from the engineering school at Alabama with at least a 3.0 GPA, you should be able to find some job, but a job at a top name company will be a very long shot.

Student ability in a particular major are going to partly determine ‘efficiency’ in studying and successful course completion/grades in courses/completing degree. For many students (even students with high abilities) who may have not worked very hard at school in HS, a challenging college major is a new paradygm.

^^^^ Is this something you know as a fact or is it simply an opinion? There are students I know who studied at at schools such as U of Louisville and the U of Cincinnati who have gotten jobs with Dow Chemical, Eastman Chemical and others. I would certainly put U of Alabama on par with those schools. I would be surprised if a 3.0 student anywhere would be given top consideration with top companies. In my opinion a 4.0 student with a good backround and who interviews will have opportunities from top companies. I will give you that the best students from the best schools may have the best opportunities but I don’t think a degree from Alabama will give him only second class opportunities.

How is chemE program at Alabama. Even though it isn’t ranked it seems pretty good.
How hard is it tho compared to UC schools? or even other good schools- UMTC/ UT/ GTech?

As long as the school’s ChemE program is ABET accredited it is not going to make much difference which school you pick. I do agree that the top companies are looking for top grades - not necessarily from the tippy top schools.

Pick a school that is a good fit and price and work hard.

@umcoe16 Your post made me laugh. Seriously. My oldest ds is a chemE from a school ranked lower than UA and he co-oped at a top chemical company and had job offers from multiple top chemical companies at graduation. He just changed jobs from 1 top company to another. His pay is on par with chemE grads from top schools at their same pts in their careers. No one cares where his degree is from. They care that he is a great chemE.

<<<
however. If you were to graduate from the engineering school at Alabama with at least a 3.0 GPA, you should be able to find some job, but a job at a top name company will be a very long shot.
<<<

@umcoe16 That is total BS.

<<<
how often did he class per week?
and how much freet time did he have (no studying and homework inlcuded)
<<<

@SREE33

What is your first question?

As for your second question: ChemE is a very challenging major, perhaps the hardest major. There were times that he had to devote nearly all of his non-classroom time to studying, lab work, homework, but he usually always had some time for fun and even a part-time job. Since he was premed as well, he had to maintain a top GPA. He graduated with a 3.9 GPA.

sorry i meant how much class time was there per week?
like how many classes each day and how long were each?

I don’t really know exactly. He lived at school, not at home while in college. He took 16-17 credits each semester. Classes with labs require more hours. I would guess around 25 hours per week???

is it preferable to go OOS for chemE (Alabama) or stay in state and go to an UC or CSU?

Basically it’s the issue of investment and return. Would paying the higher cost to go OOS get you a greater return for what you pay (i.e., think about job prospects)?

well actually Alabama will be like 30k with schlarship so little less than UC

Aren’t you an undergraduate student, @umcoe16? How exactly are you coming to this conclusion? Michigan is an outstanding school for engineering, but I don’t think that necessarily makes its students experts in the hiring practices of “top name companies.”

As a rule of thumb: “For every one credit hour in which you enroll, you will spend approximately two to three hours outside of class studying. Therefore, to help determine the course load most appropriate for you, use the formula: 3 credit hours (1 course) = 3 hours in class per week = 6-9 hours study time per week.”

^^ Maybe double that for engineering to be on the safe side?

so whats the average study/ hw time for chemE?