Alabama Housing- Honors vs Engineering?

My son has been accepted to Alabama with terrific merit; however, we won’t be able to visit until Jan or Feb. It looks like students are encouraged to complete housing apps. sooner than later. I’m wondering if anyone has strong thoughts on Honors housing vs. EXCEL LLC (which I believe is engineering). He’s quiet and enjoys his own space so the option of a suite with a single bedroom was hugely attractive to him. My understanding is much of the deposit is refundable if he ends up deciding on another school (most of which we won’t know about for many months). TIA!

My DD is there now, but not for engineering. You may wish to post this question on one of the Alabama Parent Facebook pages – parents there are super helpful and will give you the feedback you’re looking for.

As for putting down your housing deposit, you’ll want to do that ASAP! The date of your deposit determines your pick time when the housing lottery opens. The earlier your deposit, the earlier the pick time. Good luck in your decision!

2 Likes

Ridgecrest, the Honors dorm, is super quiet. My quiet son was bored - and moved off campus second year.

He chose Bama (over Purdue) for Ridgecrest…crazy at it sounds - it’s really nice and really quiet so a great place for study, etc. especially since you get your own room.

My son has been in Honors every year - but won’t graduate with it. He registers early - but he’ll drop last semester. 30% of the school is in Honors so it’s sort of a joke but it’s worthwhile to live in Ridgecrest. Don’t know anything about the LLC but Bama is definitely a party school in the other dorms.

Good luck - if your son loves big schools, he’ll love it…and the engineering quad is as nice as you’ll find in the country.

1 Like