Am I am URM?

<p>I am mostly Indian American, however my great-grandfather lived in Kenya and married a Kenyan woman, so my grandfather is half African, thus making me 12.5% African.</p>

<p>Is this enough to make me a URM?</p>

<p>Also when applying to schools should I select multiracial, just African, or African and Asian?</p>

<p>Probably not since you are mainly Indian American. However, on the app, you can select multiracial and specify that you are Indian American and African-don’t know if that will help your chances.</p>

<p>^ I’d say exactly what he did.</p>

<p>What ethnicity are your parents? If both are Indian, then I’d say go with Indian. Just because my great-grandmother was 100% French (she was) doesn’t make me biracial. Same goes for Kenyan.</p>

<p>Multiracial could be an option, if that is offered. I didn’t remember it being there, but perhaps my memory is a bit fuzzy. I don’t see why it would be on the Common App, though, since a good deal of humans come from a decently varied background.</p>

<p>Listing both would be the most honest way to present yourself. Just list both, as it is allowed. You are both, so it is the truth.</p>

<p>Here is the answer to your question : <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/927219-race-college-admission-faq-discussion-8-a.html&lt;/a&gt; .
When you say Indian American do you mean Native American? If you do, then you come from two underrepresented minority groups.
“People from India (or Pakistan) are Asian. That’s the current federal definition. I can remember the time when people from that part of the world were officially deemed “white.” The definitions are arbitrary.”
Even though Asians are an underrepresented minority, they are overrepresented at many colleges, so they do not count as an underrepresented minority in most admissions offices. Since you may come from both an overrepresented and underrepresented minority group, I am not sure whether you will be considered and underrepresented minority.
However, you should not worry. You will have the opportunity to explain your background on the common application. While it is true that the standards have been lowered for underrepresented minorities, it would be foolish to claim that every URM with an 1800 can get into the school of their choice. Stiff competition among URMs have raised the standards since the inception of affirmative action. You can see that on the African American forum that most of the people admitted to the top institutions have stats comparable and even better than the stats of the average admitted students. Your college selection should not be skewed in the hope that URM status guarantees admission. I hope that I have answered and/or provided you the information that you seek.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Excellent general advice, thebep. :)</p>

<p>sorry habibti you’re not a URM :/</p>

<p>Doesn’t mean that it’s gonna stop you from getting in where you want :)</p>

<p>I agree with ksarmand. If you don’t identify yourself as African American/Black then you shouldn’t specify that you are one. Honestly, I think a lot of people could say that their grand father, great grandfather, or great great grandfather was a minority, so I wouldn’t really consider it a URM. Besides, if you are up to par with other canidates you shouldn’t be worrying about race. I would say check Multi-Racial. Its the most honest answer.</p>

<p>best of luck</p>

<p>Don’t put down African American or Black unless that’s what you and other people would call you. You’ve asked this question before, stop trying to cheat the system.</p>

<p>06-28-2010, 05:16 PM </p>

<h1>1</h1>

<p>twazie
Junior Member</p>

<p>Join Date: May 2010

<p>“Chance me please
I am an Indian American …”</p>

<p>Whatever you have decided, make “us” proud…you will be fine…</p>

<p>you are indian.</p>