Am I Hispanic? Strange Circumstances

<p>Okay, so I'm Jewish and in order to escape from the Holocaust, my great-grandparents decided to immigrate from Germany to Uruguay. Right before they moved, my grandfather (my dad's dad) was born in Germany. </p>

<p>My grandpa grew up in Uruguay (a little over a decade) before moving to the U.S. At this point, Spanish was his first language and spoke German at home. </p>

<p>Due to some government regulation, his brother and sisters were named Pedro and Maria after being born in Uruguay. From this, I would assume that my grandpa's sibling's children and grandchildren are Hispanic.</p>

<p>So, am I Hispanic?</p>

<p>No.
Think of it this way… if an African family three generations ago moved to China… then after a couple of generations moved to the US would they be Chinese or African?
You are an American citizen, your ethnicity is Jewish. Your grandpa is a German national who emigrated to Uruguay and lived there before moving to the US. Unless your grandpa’s wife was Uruguayan or your mother Hispanic, you are not Hispanic.</p>

<p>So my grandpa’s sibling’s children and grandchildren are not Hispanic as well? There are a few kids at my school whose parents were born in South America but never had any heritage there and consider themselves to be Hispanic for the SAT.</p>

<p>While you may not be Hispanic, it would not be for the reasons given in post #2, which exemplifies the misinformation many people have about how Hispanic ethnicity is determined for the purpose of college admissions. </p>

<p>Please go to post #1 of the Hispanic Definition sticky thread at the top of this forum. You will see that in order for you to be considered Hispanic for college admissions, which uses the US Census methodology, you must to self-identify as Hispanic. Factors such as appearance, color of hair, first or last name, speaking Spanish, etc. are not relevant, what is important is whether or not you identify yourself with the Hispanic culture and community.</p>

<p>My guess (and it’s just that), by the way you worded your OP, is that you do not. While your grandfather may have identified as Hispanic while he was being brought up in Uruguay and when he moved to the US, you don’t mention whether either your dad or you identify as Hispanic or not, which makes me think that it has not played a part in your up bringing. </p>

<p>Also understand that within the pool of Hispanic applicants, the amount of impact on college admissions varies depending on several other considerations. See this thread for some discussion:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>There are plenty of Europeans that settled in Latin America. A lot of Germans especially settled in Argentina, Uruguay, and Chile. I think you can consider yourself Hispanic. But to me you’re not truly Hispanic unless you speak Spanish or identify with Uruguayan culture.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>ONLY if what you say later is true:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This part of your post does not always hold true and is not a defining factor in Hispanic status:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There are people who associate with their Hispanic culture but do not speak Spanish as their first language for a variety of reasons.</p>

<p>A Hispanic is anyone that comes from a Spanish speaking country. There are Asians who are Hispanic and Africans who are Hispanic for this reason. They speak Spanish in the Phillipines and in the African country of Guinea Ecuatorial.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>As stated in post #1 of the Definition sticky thread at the top of this forum, ethnicity and race are two different but not mutually exclusive concepts. Hispanics can be of any race(s), that is why the CA asks about race and ethnicity in two separate questions.</p>