Can i write I'm Hispanic?

<p>My mothers Dad grew up in Argentina and moved to america but otherwise I'm pretty Irish. So could i apply as Hispanic even though I am only a quarter Hispanic? Thanks for any and all input</p>

<p>What do you mean, he grew up in Argentina? Was he a citizen of Argentina? Even if he were a citizen, if that is your only connection with the Hispanic culture, then I do not think you can write your are Hispanic.</p>

<p>Did you read post #1 of the Definition sticky thread on this forum?</p>

<p>While some programs and scholarships require a specified percentage of Hispanic background (eg. NHRP), general college admissions uses the US Census definition of Hispanic which is cited in that post.</p>

<p>Once you read that post, if you still have questions, please ask.</p>

<p>Okay I now understand it a little better but I’m still a tad confused. My grandpa grew up in Argentina and both his parents grew up in Argentina but before that they lived in Italy. So am I Hispanic or not really enough to write down so on colleges. Thanks for the help</p>

<p>If you personally identify yourself as Hispanic, then you could. If you don’t and you’re hoping that being an URM will help you with admissions, then I wouldn’t if I were you. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID X2 using CC</p>

<p>The fact that your great grandparents came to Argentina from Italy is not a problem. A large proportion of Argentines immigrated from Italy, and they ‘became’ Argentine and therefore Hispanic/Latino.</p>

<p>The key question is what Silly states: do YOU self-identify as Hispanic? There are so many ways (eg. learning the language, participating in cultural activities, visiting relatives in Argentina, etc.) and degrees of identification, it’s really up to you to make an honest evaluation. You can identify with more than one heritage (eg. Hispanic and Irish), and you can be of any race(s); just be sure that you are comfortable in whichever designation you make.</p>

<p>To give you a better idea of how Hispanic candidates are considered in college admissions, see the two threads linked to in post #2 here:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1311583-high-income-hispanics.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1311583-high-income-hispanics.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>jeff,</p>

<p>I just read your Chances thread where you set off looking for a ‘hook’. I just wanted to say for the record, that if you think checking the Hispanic box with nothing more than a grand parent of Argentine origin is the key to being admitted to a highly selective college, you are misinformed. Without substantial and long term demonstration of interest and involvement in the Hispanic community, and likely some sort of disadvantage (underserved HS, low SES, etc.), a C/B student is not going to magically be admitted to colleges with low admission rates.</p>

<p>I just want to make it clear to all reading this that URM status is no magic bullet and could actually backfire on you if AOs get the impression that you are only using it as an admissions ploy.</p>