American University Class of 2027 Official Thread

My kid is currently in UC. In addition to what was mentioned above, a benefit for my student was a smaller and more targeted roommate pool (his cohort has all International Relations type complex problems classes and most of the kids in the cohort are fellow SIS majors). Also, his cohort was assigned a floor in one of the nicer dorms and room selection was easy. A possible downside is that it is very much up to the individual student to take advantage of UC activities/supports. My kid is an introvert and hasnā€™t done much. You get out of it what you put in.

Overall, more pros than cons in my opinion.

2 Likes

Same issue here. My current senior was also waitlisted with high stats and her older sister is a sophomore there. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Hey how does your student like the SIS program? My DD is accepted to the SIS Madrid program and weā€™re considering it. Any advice? Thanks. :slight_smile:

From the looks of it, the SIS Madrid program looks to be the most useful of all the Cornerstone programs. All of the credits in the program satisfy either Core or SIS requirements, so thereā€™s no ā€œuselessā€ electives. It also helps that Madrid is one of AUā€™s global centers, so sheā€™ll be with other AU students, from all grades, the whole time. Highly recommend the program to your daughter: Program Details | American University, Washington, DC

Your daughter can also reach out to her admissions counselor to ask to talk to a student tour guide to get info on the SIS and Cornerstone programs from a student perspective: Contact | American University, Washington, DC

1 Like

is their a difference in living costs? like housing and dorms

No. Students in UC live in either Anderson or Letts Hall, which are typical freshman dorms. They just get their own hallways within the dorms. Housing Rates | Housing & Residence Life | American University, Washington, D.C. | American University, Washington, DC

Overall we have been very happy with the academics, SIS classes included. Very small class sizes, good professors, substantive/thoughtful work, etc. Happy to answer any specific questions you have.

1 Like

Thank you! Iā€™ll let you know if we have questions in the days ahead. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Thank you! Very helpful!

Son just admitted to AU, excited to go to Admitted Students Day. Applied and accepted as BA Japanese major in College Arts and Sciences, possibly minor in history (?)ā€¦ No mention of SIS in admit letter. If he does do UC, will he feel left out if most kids are SIS? What EC opportunities are there if not going to school for politics, poli sciā€¦Anyone have a student studying Japanese there? Trying to figure out if right fit school. Thanks!

Not at all! There are many different UC Cohorts that cover a wide range of topics. Basically they group similar complex problems classes together into a cohort. International studies (SIS) is just one of several loose groupingsā€¦. There are definitely others!

2 Likes

UC is about 700 students large, so thereā€™s a lot of students in there. While SIS is the largest major at AU, itā€™s only 400 per class level, so thatā€™s 1,500 non-SIS students in each class. The point of the complex problems class is to be interdisciplinary, so students of all majors are in those classes. AU also has over 200 clubs and organizations, so Iā€™d suggest your son attend the club fair thatā€™s held at the beginning of each semester, or visit the club website: - Engage AU

AU also has a large Japanese program, your son can email the program director and ask to speak to a student or professor in the department: Japanese, WLC | American University, Washington, DC

2 Likes

I will add that some of my sonā€™s favorite classes and favorite professors have been in his language classes this year (German). He has also participated in German Club activities. My impression of the AU language programs has been positive based on limited experienceā€¦.

1 Like

Yes I agree with all that. But they have obviously updated their algorithm incorrectly which will list lots of kids as safety that shouldnā€™t be

1 Like

My son was accepted to AU as well! Does anyone know how flexible AU is with changing majors/ schools? I think he applied to a major in arts and sciences, but if he changes his mind and wants to be a business major, is that possible or very complicated? How about international relations? Thanks!!

AU is extremely flexible. During orientation, advisors send out a form asking if students want to change. Once enrolled, students just have to email their advisors asking.

Just to piggyback on the prior post: You enter AU with an intended major, but donā€™t have to formally declare your major until the end of sophomore year. Very flexible.

Thanks so much! This is fantastic. My son (like so many other kids) isnā€™t 100% sure of what he wants to study, so I think flexibility in majors/ schools is important. I wish more schools were able to do that!

1 Like

Just to clarify, students can declare their major(s)/minor(s) at the end of freshman year. Itā€™s required they do so by the end of sophomore year.

1 Like

Where did you end up? My daughter is a junior and her list overlaps with yours. DU, AU and Elon all look good. Also looking at Lehigh and Syracuse. Also likely an IR major with comms possible dual major. Just curious as you seem to have visited a lot of them too!