an embarrassment of riches: AMEP vs. CoE

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>One of the most attractive things about Wisconsin is that it offers both a great engineering school and the Applied Mathematics Engineering and Physics program. I'm going to be applying pretty soon for fall 2011 freshman admission, and I just don't know which one to shoot for. It'd be great if you could tell me anything you know about AMEP or the College of Engineering so that I can try to reach a decision.</p>

<p>Also, how hard would it be to go from CoE -> AMEP or vice versa? Is one direction easier than another?</p>

<p>Thanks so much.</p>

<p>I had a similar problem when applying, but I was deciding between business and L&S. Just to let you know it DOES NOT matter. At SOAR (summer orientation), regardless of what school you have been admitted to, you can pursue any college or major. That includes switching from BA and BS degrees, L&S to pre-business-pre-engineering, etc. Also there is no direct admission to the Engineering school. Applications and admission to the engineering school does not occur to the second semester of freshman year. Just know what you want to pursue at SOAR, or by second semester of your freshman year. </p>

<p>This is all coming from an incoming freshman.</p>

<p>Many engineering majors involve 126+ credit curricula. AMEP is also a pretty intensive major in L&S. Thus, if you’re going this route, you’ll want to decide on it your freshman year…If you start engineering/AMEP in sophomore or junior year then you probably won’t graduate on time. </p>

<p>That said, it’s not relevant for admissions. If you have good grades, transferring between Engineering and L&S is easy.</p>

<p>Thanks for the thoughts.</p>

<p>No problems. You get admitted to the university as a whole regardless of stated major/ school so it doesn’t matter which college or major you put on the application- that just helps assign your SOAR advisor. Once at UW you would be in L&S for freshman year with either of these plans and can take the required courses needed for both since there is a lot of overlap in introductory level math/physics requirements. Once you are there you will better be able to define your goals. You can also change your major at any time so there’s no rush to decide.</p>