An Open Letter to those Interested in CBH / RRS

Dear Reader,

Please apply, even if you do not think you have the stats for it. You may surprise yourself.

I am a freshman at The University of Alabama in the Computer-Based Honors Program (soon to be renamed the Randall Research Scholars Program). I was initially placed in the reserve pool and did not think I was going to be accepted in to the program. I was interviewed at my Bama Bound orientation and promptly selected for the 50th cohort in June. My goal with this letter is to provide an inside look at my experience with this program in my first couple of months at UA. If you’re anything like me, then you will enjoy getting the “inside” scoop on what it’s really like to be a freshman in this program.

Let’s start off with the class itself—CBH 101. CBH 101 is a class offered at 12:00 or 1:00 PM MWF, and 6:00 PM on Monday. Half of your cohort (22 in this year’s case) is in one section, half in the other. The sections combine on Monday night where everyone attends a lecture. This is what the UA catalog has to say about the first class that students accepted in to CBH take:

“Taken by first-year students in the Computer-Based Honors Program, this course provides an accelerated introduction to computer hardware and software.”

Please note the adjective “accelerated”. During the first couple of weeks of the semester, the course is very simple: you are introduced to your instructor (Darren), you slowly learn everyone’s names, and Mrs. Batson makes a few announcements. Next, Darren has you read and learn about cybersecurity. You are quizzed frequently (almost every class). Then, you start to learn about hardware and number systems (binary, decimal, hexadecimal, octal, etc.). Darren assigns a group for you to conduct a presentation on a piece of hardware. My group was assigned motherboards. Presentations are very professional and last the length of a class period. In the midst of number systems swimming around in your head and worrying about your presentation, you are assigned a different group and a mentor with whom you will use CAD software to design and 3D print a Christmas ornament. Now we are in the present, and the rumored “final project” looms in the near future. Darren has already warned us that the effort required in learning FORTRAN in such a short time period is immense. This is what is meant by accelerated. The semester starts slowly and begins to build and build.

Now that we have that out of the way, let’s talk about the social aspects of the program. I’ve been told many times that a student is not admitted to CBH based on stats alone, but I never truly understood what they meant until I got to know my fellow classmates. Students are admitted based on their character. Words cannot describe my love for my fellow classmates. I have never been surrounded by more intelligent, respectful, or caring students in my life. Each and every student has a passion, a dream, and the drive to get there. It’s extremely motivating to see everything that everyone is doing.

One of my favorite parts of being in CBH is having 24/7 access to the CBHP Undergraduate Research Lab. In laymen’s terms, it’s a computer lab where CBH students are always welcome to do homework, grab a bite to eat in between classes, or in my case, receive advice from extremely encouraging upperclassmen. I have never felt more accepted or wanted by a group in my life, and I was heavily involved in one of my high school’s largest extracurricular activities.

Speaking of advice from upperclassmen, every single freshman is assigned a CBH mentor. The mentor simply exists to help you adjust to UA and CBH life. From recommending organizations for me to join, helping me prepare for on campus interviews, or even just grabbing a quick bite to eat from the Ferg—my mentor has been incredible.

CBH also presents a lot of opportunities. Upperclassmen often pop in to our freshman group message asking for help with their research or organizations. I have personally gotten involved with an upperclassman that is assisting a professor build a composite oven for an aerospace prototyping laboratory on campus.

Just this past week, Darren let us out of Monday night class early to listen to Dr. Randall (yes, THE Dr. Randall) give a seminar on professionalism. It was humbling to hear from such an educated individual and I have a newfound sense of joy knowing that the program is being renamed after her.

There is also “The List”. “The List” is an email list of every single current student, alumnus, alumna, and faculty member involved with CBH (freshman rule #1: NEVER reply directly to “The List”). Many things such as internships, research, scholarships, fellowships, announcements, and more are emailed out through this system.

Finally, I want to end by saying how much this program means to me. I have only been on campus for a couple of months, but the people in this program have made it my favorite part of UA. I strongly encourage anyone on the fence about applying to apply. CBH has been a college-defining experience for me so far. My words may not ring true for everyone, but I have spoken to other freshman about this and they seem to agree. If anyone has any questions for me, I would love to answer. Thank you to everyone on College Confidential for first making me aware of this program. I’m looking forward to my coming years at UA and growing closer to my CBH family.

All the best,

@Auallonia My ds is a sr in CBH/RRS. It has been a great experience for him and it was one of the selling points for Bama back when he was a sr in high school trying to decide what school to accept. He has loved Bama.

I can’t believe he is a sr. His yrs there have flown by. He is in the process of applying to grad school. Being part of CBH and the research he has done since freshman yr definitely confirmed his love of research and his desire to pursue grad school.

Glad you shared this open letter for this yr’s high school srs. Bama is a great school and has fabulous opportunities available for students that want to pursue them.

In terms of the final projects in programming in the first year, students are highly ENCOURAGED to work as a group and help each other complete the projects. It is truly a bonding experience and one where students look back and realize they all got through it as a group! Yes, there will be students who put in all nighters of finals week, but others will be done by the beginning of the week since a great part of it depends on how complicated you make the program.
FWIW, in our experience, most CBH have not had classes in programming. Darren will assure you that some of his best students are those are starting from scratch.

CBH is a tight knit group! Although many students lean towards the STEM majors, you will find students with very different interests, backgrounds and goals. I concur with Auallonia that mutual respect is a key to the success of the program.

In years two and three there is a lot of time spent on professional development, presentations, and dialogues which is especially useful for job interviews, building confidence, and personal growth. Dr. Sharpe, who is greatly loved and respected by all CBHers, leads these classes.

As a parent, I know that CBH not only gave my kids a place to belong from day one, but also provided tremendous encouragement for them to make the most of their time at UA and dream big for the future.

Thank you all for the CBH/Randall Research Scholars Program input. We met with them last week, and needless to say we were beyond impressed.

One thing we neglected to dive deeper in to was the additional time commitment that RRSP adds. Understanding that I am asking a very general question, would someone like to guess at the additional hours per week that are required when adding RRSP to the standard Honors workload? I am not really referring to the class itself - those are hours one would spend in some different class anyway. But rather, the additional time requirement based on the rigor of the course, the research requirements, and the community of being in CBH.

That is impossible for me to gauge. My ds loves research and would have been spending hours in research regardless of CBH. I believe he spends around 14+ hrs on research per week, probably not that much as a freshman.

DavidPuddy, I’m glad to see that you read this post and that you are considering UA and CBH/RRS! I originally drafted this post to assist parents and students like you during their college search.

I believe that I was actually in the research lab during your visit, as I recall a family coming in while I was helping a classmate with his resume. It is truly a wonderful place to study and cultivate relationships with your peers.

To the extent of my freshman experience so far, I can answer your question. External time commitment for CBH (so far) has been very low, but I believe that your student will find themselves eager to spend more time cultivating relationships with some of the truly incredible students in this program.

With that said, we have not started the final project. As ccforlife said above, the project requires significant external time and teamwork in order to be completed correctly.

If you would like to communicate one-on-one with a freshman in the program, please PM me. I would be more than happy to speak with you or your student about why I chose UA, my high school experiences, my time in CBH/RRS in more detail, etc.

@Auallonia
Thanks for the reply. I am sure there are dozens of families touring each week though!

Since you mentioned it, I’ll say it again, you students in the program are remarkable!

Great Program! Apply no matter what your intended major is or your comfort with coding. My DS is in the program and had no coding experience. Darren is one of the best professors he has and the RRS cohort is truly an incredible group of students.

Research presentations for this year will be LIVE tomorrow, 12/7 and 12/8. http://live.cbhp.ua.edu/
Check the schedule to see different topics/times. Watching these will give you a good idea of what current students are doing for their projects. IMHO, this is one of the best ways to understand RRSP. In previous years, they have welcomed questions-including from those watching live stream. They usually include some pictures/biographical information of those currently in the program between presentations.

Hi all, do we have a sense of how many semi finalists are invited to the weekend in February?

I recall reading there are about 40 chosen each year; is that correct?

@DavidPuddy
I was not a finalist so I can’t say for sure, but if I recall correctly ~50-60 are invited for the weekend and then invitations are extended. There are 44 students in my cohort with ~10 from the reserve pool.