Any advice for someone wanting to re-apply to college?

I’ve been out of college for over 10 years and am looking to go back to re-pursue a bachelor’s degree.

If you guys have any tips and/or advice on the process on re-applying, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Get all of your transcripts in order, and make sure you have a working copy.

• Look at the college websites where you hope to return and check that the admission requirements have been met. Things do change over 10 years time. Then compare your transcript to your admissions requirements.

• Check the major department where you hope to be admitted and see how many courses are missing from your transcript.

• Make a virtual appointment with a Guidance Counselor and then the Registrar to see what you would need to take to finish out your BS.

• Make sure your budget will work with your choices. The best funding is typically dispensed to entering freshman.

Since you are now 28 or so…you might want to look for colleges that have programs for non-traditional students.

3 Likes

Do you mean resume a bachelor’s degree you never finished, or you already have a 4-year degree from 10 years back and want to get a 2nd one in a different area? Completely different advice depending which one you mean.

You wrote this in April 2013.

I was in college in the past (from 2005 - 2009) - (College A). I am looking to transfer to another college (College C), but one of the required courses I need, I’ve not taken yet. I would like to take it at a community college (College B) because it would be cheaper. But my question is could I combine my College A coursework and the one class at College B and use both schools in a transfer application to College C?

I hope this makes since. If you need clarification please ask.

Thanks in advance.

So my questions.

1. It sounds like you have been out of college since 2009. Is that correct? That would mean you are in your 30’s. Right? Again I suggest looking at programs that are for students your age. Attending an undergrad that has mostly 18-23 year olds might not work for you.

2. What happened that made you leave college? Just didn’t like it? Didn’t do well? Needed to leave for financial or family reasons?

3. What have you been doing since 2009?

4. You were looking to transfer in 2013. What happened? Did you actually transfer?

2 Likes

resume a bachelor’s degree I never finished.

You need to contact your college. It is very possible that the courses you took a LONG time ago might not even be applied to a degree now.

So…for the best info…contact the department of admissions at your old college. Ask to speak to an advisor. They should be able to tell you what’s what.

1. Yes, I’ve been out of college since 2009. Yes, I’m in my mid-30’s.

2. I was having problems with my academics, as a result of uncontrolled mental health issues.

3. I’ve been in treatment for my mental health symptoms (medications and therapy), as well as doing volunteer work for a few years.

4. Yes I was thinking about transferring back in 2013, but nothing ever came of it. (never transferred)

There are others who have left college for one reason or another. See my post above. You need to contact the college you wish to re-apply to and ask to speak to an advisor in admissions. They will tell you what you need to do for that college.

BUT I’ll say again…at this point you are a very non-traditional student. Your previous college might not be a good choice now.

Good luck to you. You can achieve your goals. You just need advice from your previous college if you plan to apply there again now.

Is there a four year public state college near where you are living now? That is probably your best option, so that you can continue living in your stable living situation in an area where you have medical care and support of family/friends.

Contact the transfer office there and ask them what you need to do to transfer. It’s probably as simple as requesting a transcript be sent to the new college, and filling out an application and paying a fee.

1 Like

So I forgot to update to mention that I did email the college and got the information I need in order to go back.

Thank you guys for your help.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.