Any advice on the move-out process?

<p>I am dreading move-out with my D. I am such a planner and I need some advice. </p>

<p>Should my D start packing now? We left the Rubbermaid containers under her bed so she could fill those with stuff. Do the students get rid of things? Is there a place on campus that accepts the cast-offs? </p>

<p>Is there a protocol that roomies tend to follow? For ex. the last one out keeps the vacuum cleaner? Does the last one out of the dorm do most of the cleaning? Should we bring cleaning supplies since the roommate that moves out first will have taken the supplies home? </p>

<p>I know that there isn’t help for move-out like there is for move-in but are the carts still there in the building? </p>

<p>I would appreciate some advice from those who have been there, done that. And thanks for not laughing…too hard!!</p>

<p>^ Me too.</p>

<p>While you don’t want to leave a huge mess or garbage behind, housekeeping cleans every dorm room once vacated. Some of the dorms are used for summer activities like Bama bound. </p>

<p>Anything left behind is forfeit - if I remember correctly stuff is donated in some cases, and isn’t there an auction of left behind bikes, etc?</p>

<p>Tell your students to pack up as much as possible beforehand. I recall thinking we were done and discovering that all D’s drawers were still full! </p>

<p>In Riverside North, lots of people put discards - stuff that wouldn’t fit in the cars - in the open rooms at the end of every hall. A lot of bagged trash was piled up in there, as well.</p>

<p>I don’t recall seeing the big carts, but we found a grocery cart on site and used that for move out - lots of trips up and down!</p>

<p>RCS has a couple of big carts in the lobby.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help. </p>

<p>Randomparent: That made me laugh!</p>

<p>Do encourage your student to donate whatever he or she can – clothing, school supplies, even furniture. The dorms usually have large bins available for students to place donated items. While visiting my son during Honors Week, we put together three bags filled with clothing he no longer wears. We met a nice young lady at our motel whose nephew was growing out of everything. So we left her the bags. What her nephew does not wear will be donated or given to someone else.</p>

<p>As for cleaning, in an ideal world, everyone would help. This is not an ideal world. But try to encourage your student to start the cleaning out/up process during Dead Week.</p>

<p>I was also concerned about move out since I’m pretty sure my daughter will be the last one to leave from her suite. I was not looking forward to cleaning the suite! I found this list on the housing website: [Student</a> Affairs | Housing & Residential Communities](<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/move_out.cfm]Student”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/move_out.cfm)</p>

<p>The dates are wrong, probably still up from last year, but the checklist may be helpful. I was glad to see that the “cleaning” is more a wiping down than a scrub the tub :)</p>

<p>Momreads: we will look for donation bins. I will encourage the cleaning during dead week. It’s a break from studying.</p>

<p>BamaMomof3: Thank you for finding that cleaning list. Just what I needed to know and I will send it to my D.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the input. </p>

<p>Cuttlefish123, Thanks for asking the question. ;)</p>

<p>Bumping this…yes, sadly, I am thinking ahead to May.
In addition to the help offered in comments so far, can others who went through the move-out process give advice on the following:

• how do we pack up when suitemates are still studying for finals that week?
  • what is the process to check out w/ an RA - how long does it take - and how thorough are they in their inspections for damage? (the list of charges on UA housing website is rather frightening)
  • is it as busy as it is on move-in days - do we need to have a specific time reserved to pull up to the curbs, etc?
  • do we need parking permits or visitor passes or anything special for our car?
  • how long does this all take - in other words, how many nights do you estimate we need to stay overnight in T to work around this, if we are coming from OOS? (My S’s last final will be Friday afternoon May 3rd - bummer, that.)</p>

<p>I also would like to know how people handle storage over the summer. My DS does not have a car at Bama but he does have a bike, desk chair, book case and lots of stuff that won’t be carried on an airplane.<br>
*Should a parent plan to fly out and rent a car to put things into storage?
*Is it difficult to find storage units for the summer?
*What recommendations do experienced CC have for parents of freshmen?</p>

<p>Well as an OOS parent, I can try to give you some hints and advice.</p>

<p>It is difficult to pack up while the other suitemates need quiet for studying. So you can have your student check with the suitemates as to their final schedules and try to plan accordingly. Otherwise you can pack up their room very quietly, close the bedroom door, no music, no trips to the bathroom etc…this way you are as unobtrusive as possible. The time it takes to pack will differ for each student based on how much stuff they have to put into storage. </p>

<p>They can certainly start to prepack some of their items into storage containers; things like books, school supplies and extra items that they won’t need could be packed. They can discard items that they no longer need or want. This can all be done prior to your even arriving. All laundry can be washed and folded to avoid bringing home dirty clothes. I encourage all students to put a donation box in the common room where they can put their unwanted items.</p>

<p>You will need to find a storage unit by April and put a deposit down. Some facilities are fairly close to campus, but you will need a car if your student doesn’t have one on campus to move all the boxes, clothes, school supplies, kitchen items, the bike etc. It can certainly take more than one trip to the storage unit depending on the size of your vehicle and the size of the items. Many students have extra furniture like storage units or bookcases, mattress toppers, exercise equipment, printers and other items too. Some students have musical instruments to store but you might have to make separate arrangements for these. Musical instruments are very sensitive to humidity and temperature fluctuations which can happen in a storage unit. </p>

<p>If you set your student up at the beginning of the semester, you should be able to judge the size of the storage unit you will need. You can even coordinate and share a larger space between several students.</p>

<p>Don’t forget that you will need to vacuum and clean the bedroom, kitchen and bath before you leave. If you are the last student/parent combo to leave, I would bank on being the one to clean the common areas. You hope that each student dumps their own food, washes their dishes and cleans up after themselves. Don’t bank on that…especially if you have messy ones residing in the suite. Sometimes it can be downright gross when they leave.</p>

<p>You are not responsible for the other bedrooms but you are responsible for the common areas because if there are broken items or damage in the common areas, all the students will be billed equally. I have always been the last one out, and I can tell you that I come prepared to clean. You can take photos of the room(s) once you are done to dispute any repair charges. Hopefully if anything was broken when your student moved in, he/she reported that on their check-in sheet. The RA will do a fairly thorough walk through, and then lock the bedroom. Reminder: move the furniture and check behind dresser/desk to make sure nothing is left behind.</p>

<p>I would also recommend a climate controlled storage unit. I also pack all clothes, bedding, and soft items into vacuum sealed bags. Everything else goes into plastic storage buckets and then into large black plastic bags. This will prevent dust or bugs from finding a home. </p>

<p>When I arrive in T-Town, I make a run to Walmart or Target and get all my supplies. If you are driving you can bring storage buckets, plastic bags and anything else you will need with you.</p>

<p>With planning, it can all go very smoothly. I would plan on staying at least one night so you have time to pack and clean. Don’t count on any help from your student if their exams go to the last day. They need the time to study, so you will be doing the work. If you can’t lift boxes and large items, you might need someone to assist you.</p>

<p>I always bring snacks and plenty of beverages so I don’t have to waste time once I get packing.</p>

<p>Just remember that you need to be out of the suite by the time they close the residence hall.</p>

<p>You can usually find parking in the lots but risk a ticket if you don’t have a permit. DO NOT ever park in the spots reserved for campus police, you will be towed. You do not need to line up like on move in day and there is no set move out time. Just drive up and let someone (your helper or student) bring the stuff to the car. There are usually carts in the lobby to help you move the items. Don’t forget a small toolbox if you need to dismantle something.</p>

<p>It’s funny to see my thread from last year. My what a difference a year makes. Don’t worry, you will be a pro very soon! :)</p>

<p>^^ Excellent post Robotbldmom !!
It will be hot in Tuscaloosa in May. As Robotbldmom said, bring plenty of drinks and snacks. One of the difficulties is your child will have the key to the dorm and the room and you will have to coordinate when to be there. Once in the dorm, you really can’t leave as you will not have a key. Last year in May my husband was the one to “help” my D move out. He actually did it all! My D had finals and her huge CBH project. She worked on it until the last minute. Friday, of course!</p>

<p>Your student schedules the move-out/checkout time with the RA. They come on time, look around, lock your bedroom door, and you leave. My D had a checkout time of 5pm on Friday night. Problem was my D was still out working on her project. He had to find her on campus and get her key! He had all of her stuff out of her room. After checkout, he was able to stay in the dorm living room because the other girl’s dad was still there.</p>

<p>My advice, pick Saturday checkout!</p>

<p>You will get this notice soon. [Services</a> offered at The University of Alabama | Dorm Room Movers](<a href=“http://www.dormroommovers.com/Services-at-The-University-of-Alabama]Services”>College moving, storage & shipping made simple | Dorm Room Movers)</p>

<p>I think someone here on Bama CC used this service last year.</p>

<p>Excellent posts and advice! THANK YOU GUYS!</p>

<p>You are welcome. </p>

<p>It is very difficult to get a hotel around move-out time since graduation happens that Saturday. I suggest you look for a room now. You might have to get one for 2 days to actually get a room. You can start a new thread regarding rooms. I can’t help in that regard since we are able to travel from grandpa’s house to T-town and back in one day. </p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Cuttlefish123 - I am having flashbacks from last May!! Sitting with your husband all day while our D’s worked on their CHB project. Good times!!</p>

<p>our first move out was after the tornado, so kid was not able to pack much. we were in a hurry, so we threw a whole lot in garbage bags and into the car. not the ideal way to pack, but it was fine. we did a modified version of this after year two. most soft stuff got packed in garbage bags and washed at home. kid was able to pack a good bit more stuff this time, though.</p>

<p>after both years, i went through everything and got rid of what we wanted to and repacked the boxes so they were ready to go for the next year. most of what she brings is clothes, so the boxes fit in her bookshelf in the garage.</p>

<p>after year two, she moved to a shared room and didn’t need any of her kitchen/living room items. so we held those back for her sister to pack in her college stuff.</p>

<p>it is not a huge deal. have them pack some ahead of time if they can.</p>

<p>we have not done it, but some people get a storage unit for their things. i was planning on it after year one, but we ended up moving out in a hurry. we didn’t do it after year two since she needed to bring a bunch of stuff home due to moving into the smaller space.</p>

<p>this year, i think we are finally planning to leave some stuff behind over the summer, not sure where yet.</p>

<p>Hi ShamrockDad! Yes, you were so helpful to my husband. Good times!!</p>

<p>I am glad that you found my post helpful, you all will do great and by this time next year, you will be the ones posting the helpful hints.</p>

<p>It really will be just a matter of timing and organization that wins the move-out game.</p>

<p>Reminder: If your student has clothes at home that they can use for the summer, you can pack and leave the majority of their wardrobe in storage. Foe example; we don’t bring home any of the winter items. Oh and don’t forget to bring home your student’s Buisness clothing if they are interning or working where they will need to dress in that type of attire.</p>

<p>I also organize the storage containers into kitchen, bath, clothes, bedding, books, and school supplies to make unpacking and setting up for the next year easier. I also stack the storage containers in the unit so most items are off the floor.</p>

<p>Don’t store any food products that are opened, discard those. You don’t want any unwanted visitors to the storage unit.</p>

<p>Take time to have a nice evening meal with your student (if they can spare the time) otherwise, just grab another mom or dad and have some good BBQ.</p>