Any FYE tips from current students?

<p>Hi, I'm pretty worried after hearing how difficult FYE is... So my questions to the current students are: what were The most difficult topics? (in specific)
And also if you could have studied topics prior to starting FYE what would you have studied?(I want to begin studying the difficult stuff) thanks.</p>

<p>Most difficult topics (from personal experience/ classmates complaining): ENGR 131/132/195, PHYS 172/272, Math (in general). Actually… taking into account all my classmates, at least one person has complained about every class we have to take. But it’s really not that bad. If you hate math, you’ll probably think math is hard. I hated chem, so I thought chem was hard… The rest was a bit of a cake walk (albeit a cake walk that required you to work hard and long… but not too difficult).</p>

<p>I took AP CALC BC and AP PHYSICS E/M C, along with basic honor classes in biology, chemistry, blahblahblah. I spent all summer having fun. If you’re traditionally a good student, understood what your high school teachers were trying to teach, you’ll be fine.
I ended FYE with a 3.9. So yeah, totally not impossible.</p>

<p>Also, read this? <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/1490427-what-some-advice-future-purdue-engineering-students.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/purdue-university-west-lafayette/1490427-what-some-advice-future-purdue-engineering-students.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Ok thanks. Oh and one more question: since the FYE GPA determines what engineering discipline you can enter, would there be any advantage to jump classes with AP credit? Or should I not transfer any AP credit so it would be a bit easier to get a higher GPA? Thanks.</p>

<p>Do you really think you’re going to get lower than a 2.8/3.0?
I say use as much AP credits as you’re comfortable using. I got a 4 on the AP BC Calc (5 on the AB part), so I decided to retake Calc 2. The rest I transferred (AP Physics E/M C (5), AP Psych (5)).
APs really help you not get overloaded some semesters. And it’s nice to get math/ science requirements out of the way.</p>

<p>Haha, I really don’t know what to expect :(. I’m kind of confused about this credit transfer thing. If you transfer a 5 on AP physics C, according to the website you can skip 2 semesters. Do you have to take another class in place of that? Like another higher level physics course? Thank you. Because that means if I transfer chem, calc, and physics credit, theoretically I can just take the communications and ENGR course the first year?</p>

<p>@GreenTreeFrog:</p>

<p>Why would you take classes in place of your transferred credit? If you did well on your Ap exams, you got the credit for it! Do you know which engineering you would like to go into? I always suggest one of the four broad majors: Civil, Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical.
If so, then you can start taking the intro major classes your 2nd semester, while taking some general education electives your first. Message me if you have specific questions about your scheduling process next year if you know all these credits transferred.</p>

<p>You’ll be fine in school even if you transfer credits. Just figure out how to study properly, and you’ll be set (ESPECIALLY your first year, which should be breeze for a student like you).</p>

<p>I see, thank you so much Seirsly and Purdue2014 for your help :). To answer Purdue2014’s question, I really want to go for chemical engineering.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t just take 2 courses freshman year. xD You wouldn’t be a full time student. Take the next level math class, next level science class, you also need english credits I believe. Try to hit ~ 15-17 credits? I guess? (that’s my advice for graduating ‘on time’). </p>

<p>(I got a 5 on AP physics C, NO COLLEGE PHYSICS FOR ME, WOOT~!)</p>

<p>Is it hard to CODO to FYE?</p>

<p>Uh, from what I’ve heard… Kinda?
You HAVE to be on top of this. Schedule all your adviser meetings, go to the required seminar things and everything EARLY. Get all the paper work in, all the meetings done, and that’s half the work. (The whole CODO process gets really crowded really quick).</p>

<p>Second of all, you should work hard and do well in your classes. But that’s just advice for college in general.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Hi, I just finished my freshman year at Purdue in FYE. First of all, DO NOT WORRY! If you are working hard and giving your classes an honest effort, you will be fine. From the sounds of it, you are very on top of your studies already. I think that the math courses and physics 172 are probably the most challenging courses in the FYE curriculum. However, if you did well in the AP courses, it would not hurt to retake them to have a better taste for how Purdue runs their courses. I took Calc 1 and 2 in high school, but decided to start in MA 162 my first semester (Calc 2). If you are strong in math, this is a great way to establish a good GPA right at the start and also get accustomed to college classes. Sometimes lectures can be a little intimidating, so I found that by retaking calc, I could adjust to the environment without having to worry so much about the course’s content. ENGR 131/132 are also tough courses, but in a different way. These engineering courses, I believe, are mainly to establish a solid work ethic. The course itself (content-wise) is very manageable, but there is a heavy workload. Just make sure that you are managing your time- but I promise you will adjust. Give it a few weeks and finishing your work will be no problem at all:) I hope this is helpful, and BOILER UP! Purdue is such a great place to be, and any degree you choose to pursue here will take you far. But again, don’t get too stressed out about this! I was in your shoes a year ago and I know how it feels, but you will do great:)</p>

<p>@kknicj thank you for such a detailed response! That was really helpful! :D. I really look forward to starting my freshman year at Purdue.</p>

<p>Can I take engr 131 as non engineering major?</p>