Any miracle UC acceptance stories from 2013?

<p>For last year’s admitted class (c/o 2017), were there any surprising acceptances to the UC system, particularly to any of the mid & high-tiers? (For example: relatively low GPA and SAT scores, little to no EC’s/community services, etc…) I know last year the UC’s were pretty brutal with their acceptances, but at the same time I know there should be at least a few miracles.</p>

<p>Share your stories!!</p>

<p>Bump anyone?</p>

<p>If you search the decision threads from each year in the individual forums, you will see some. There is always the odd circumstance or unlikely case. The profiles are also posted there showing how many were admitted from each band of test scores or gpa for last fall, as well.</p>

<p>@collegevetting were there any who got admitted to UCD, UCSB, or UCSC with a 3.2 UC GPA (3.4 total) and 1800+ SAT? I tried looking for it but most people apply to competitive majors, whereas I applied as a non-impacted/non-competitive major.</p>

<p><a href=“http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/files/freshman-profiles-ca/freshman-profile-ca-ucsc.pdf”>http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses/files/freshman-profiles-ca/freshman-profile-ca-ucsc.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>well, at ucsc over 800 people with between a 2.9 and 3.29 were accepted last year according to the profile, and they accept about half of the people in the 500’s for their SATs on each test, so I would say you have a chance there, but it is not a sure thing. Your test scores seem fine for there so it is more your UC gpa. I am sure from this profile that SOME with your stats and lower made it in there, and you might want to go to the 2013 decision thread to see how tests and grades combined. </p>

<p>Good luck! </p>

<p>OK, I can’t figure out how to edit. If you take your ACTUAL SAT scores and look at the categories in my link you may see your scores got a higher than average acceptance rate on the score alone. You have to kinda eyeball that along with the grade, but there is no perfect predictor. Your not being in an impacted major will help, though.</p>

<p>@collegevetting how about UCD and UCSB?</p>

<p>I’m thinking you can go to those forums and look for the threads I posted there?</p>

<p>Or just go on the link above, and change in your browser window the letter of the school on the html where it says ucsc change it to ucd and ucsb they are higher which is why I particularly looked at ucsc of the ones you picked, but they all have SOME in that grade range.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that the 500’s you see on that page don’t mean that people with all 500’s on their SAT’s got in. It probably means that people did poorly in one section, but they did well in the other two sections. Also, compared to the 40,000 people who applied to UCSC, 800 is really not very many people. Keep in mind athletes and URM scores are included in those stats. I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I think your best bet is to compare yourself in context of your own high school. If other students with the same stats as you were admitted in previous years, then you have a good shot.</p>

<p>Good advice from UCLAstudennt… I’d guess,admitted students (UCSC) with your GPA have SATs in the 2000+ range. Those with 1800 SAT have HS GPA close to 4.0. Unless you have a compelling back-story, I think you are a longshot for the UC system in general. </p>

<p>I hope you’ve planned accordingly and applied elsewhere.</p>

<p>Well, this says UCSC was aiming for a freshman class of 3500 and by the profile link they offered admission to 1000 people, for one reason or another, who had gpa under 2.9. <a href=“Fall 2013 freshman class at UC Santa Cruz is one of the most selective”>http://news.ucsc.edu/2013/04/admits-fall13.html&lt;/a&gt; Since they have to expect a larger percentage of those to accept than would accept from higher gpa categories (who would have more offers elsewhere likely to be tempting) I figure that is a significant number. However, I still consider it a ‘hope’ to get in, not an expectation of getting in. </p>

<p>I agree that the OP should consider applying to some other universities, or consider whether he wants UC enough to go to a CC for two years and use the TAG program to get in. If he doesn’t consider what he will do if he doesn’t get into a UC before other universities and colleges stop accepting applications, that decision might kind of be made for him. I don’t want to be mean, but other university application deadlines continue to run out, and as a parent, I would recommend getting in a position to have other options when decisions come out.</p>

<p>This has a list from 2013 of application deadlines, and if they are the same this year, another wave of deadlines is due 2/15 of this year. Later deadlines are noted as well. Obviously you should check the actual school web page to confirm what the deadline is THIS year, if any of these colleges appeal to you. <a href=“College Search | College Finder | Colleges by Major & Location”>College Search | College Finder | Colleges by Major & Location;

<p>Also, you might receive an offer from Merced if you don’t get into one of the UCs you applied to. If I were going to stay 4 years, I personally might like Chico better than Merced, but the CSUs don’t have the short cuts to apply to transfer to UCs that either the CCs or the UCs have, as I understand it. If you get that offer, you might consider going there for two years, and, if you don’t like it, applying to transfer after two years.</p>

<p>@UCh0peful I’m gonna guess and say that you’re worried about rejection. What are your stats exactly? GPA, SAT individual scores, any AP tests/scores, etc.</p>