Any Northeast Schools Favor IB Diploma Students in Admission?

<p>Still looking for the "hook" lol. White, middle-classed 4.0, IB, top 5 %, no sports, the usual ECs (Senior class co-vice president). </p>

<p>Nope. Most colleges consider AP/IB classes to be equivalent. Obviously being an AP student is no hook and thus being an IB students isn’t either. </p>

<p>Hooks are things like being a recruited athlete, URM, legacy etc. </p>

<p>Well, I"m going to answer this myself since someone this morning posted a link to admission stats for IB students an I think there must be others interested as well. Admission rates went up substantially (more than 10%) for: Amherst, BC, Colgate, Ithaca, Mt. Holyoke, Smith, Wellesley, Wesleyan. Oberlin, while not in the NE, went from 33%-83% for IB diploma students. Wow. There are more, but those are the schools of interest for D that had good acceptance increases.</p>

<p>I disagree with pink. I believe some schools do favor IB. At admissions discussions at Mount Holyoke and Wellesley, we heard MUCH praise for IB. Mount Holyoke was especially effusive. They didn’t come right out and say, “we prefer IB to AP” (I am sure there were many parents of AP scholars in the audience they did not want to alienate!) but they had a lot to say about how they felt IB students were extremely well prepared for college. I wouldn’t say it’s a “hook”, but I do think that being an IB diploma candidate who’s done well in HL level classes will be a definite plus to your daughter’s application at some schools.</p>

<p>I’m happy to hear that about MoHo, its a contender in the top 3 choices or so. D has great ranking (school doesn’t rank but she is either #1 or #2 of 109 in a very challenging IB school and hopefully the gc will get that across to admissions somehow), has a 4.1 UW GPA and a 4.8W. From what I understand, her gc will also project her IB diploma score and as it stands it will most likely be 42/45. Standardized test scores don’t really paint the same picture though.</p>

<p>Well that’s one of the great things about holistic admissions at these type of schools… they’ll look at the entire picture, not just the test scores :slight_smile: My D had an unusual application, with low-ish GPA but great test scores and amazing recommendations describing a challenge she’d overcome, and I’m sure she would not have had the same admissions results at big universities of the same stats/selectiveness range as the SLACs she applied to.</p>

<p>I am in the IB diploma program as well and found a post on here a few months ago that showed acceptance rates for universities followed by acceptance rates for certificate IB students followed by rates for IB diploma students. I would estimate the data was six or seven years old because some of the super selective universities showed higher general acceptance rates than they currently have but it wasn’t anything outrageous. What I did was found how many more times likely an IB diploma student was to get accepted to eliminate the old-data issue as much as possible. No school had a lower rate for IB diploma students. The lowest were Harvard at 1.1x Brown at 1.15x and Yale at 1.16x. It went all the way up to 1.9x at Carnegie Mellon and Harvey Mudd though. If you want a specific school that I don’t put on here just ask but I only calculated for 27 schools. Here are the ones that appear to like IB the most: Clemson 1.8, Cornell University 1.64, MIT 1.5, Penn State 1.6, Rose Hulman 1.54, University at Buffalo 1.6, U UIllinois Urbana Champagne 1.55, U of Pennsylvania 1.6, U of Pittsburgh 1.7, U of Rochester 1.75, Vanderbilt 1.4, U Chicago 1.4, Washington U St. Louis 1.78. Also, University of Rochester really likes IB and has scholarships for IB students. Sorry this was so long. If I find the post with that data I’ll share it. </p>

<p>That is most likely the same post I saw (and I can’t recall where now). Vassar was the only school of interest that showed a lower admit rate for IB students. I found that peculiar.</p>

<p>@NEPatsGirl wait may I ask, how much lower is it? Because I’m in IB and I applied ED II :open_mouth: </p>

<p>Keep in mind that these numbers are from 2011, but it was significantly lower, nearly 10%. I believe Vassar in 2011 had an admittance rate of 30% and it dropped to 21% for IB students. Like I said, its very peculiar and could most likely be a misprint…and, don’t always trust what you read on the world wide web. Good luck 12345n :smile: </p>

<p>@NEPatsGirl haha wow thank you :slight_smile: I think this combined with the fact that I’m an international student lowers my odds a lot</p>

“Nope. Most colleges consider AP/IB classes to be equivalent. Obviously being an AP student is no hook and thus being an IB students isn’t either.”

I love how people just throw this stuff out there.

My daughter was a recruited athlete with an almost 4.0 IB - the hard way as they say - IB Physics HL, IB Calcu HL, etc. etc. Every single NESCAC, Liberty League, Patriot League, etc. school that wanted her there and with whom she interviewed with the adcom mentioned IB. Williams, in particular, said to her, “you know you’re doing the hardest thing out there.”

So, no, not all schools just treat them the same. I’m not saying AP is some kind of second class curriculum, but your standard fare AP line of classes isn’t considered as rigorous as a full-line IB diploma curriculum, and there are a lot of schools that will weigh it heavily and more so than AP coursework.

I agree it’s not a hook. But it gets your transcript a second look.

SUNY Binghamton gives you up to 32 credits for an IB Diploma:

Students in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program may receive up to 32 credits. To receive the full 32 credits, the following conditions must be met:

The IB Diploma must be completed with a score of 30 or more points; and
The student must complete at least three Higher Level exams with a score of 5 or higher.
Diploma holders who meet these conditions receive credit for their individual exam scores plus additional liberal arts elective credit to total 32 credits.

QUESTION: In comparing AP & IB: With APs, one can achieve AP Scholar or higher status prior to Junior year and note this on the college application. How does the IB work in comparison. I am uninitiated when it comes to the IB program, so I would appreciate learning how the program compares when it comes to college applications. Thanks so much.