Any recommendations on first year classes?

<p>my son is in Calc 3 this year. Will probably re-take calc 3 next year. He has too many credits to transfer anyway, and that is one of the classes that seems to make sense to repeat.</p>

<p>*Can anyone (everyone!) weigh in on whether to retake Calculus at UA if you took AP BC Calc in high school (and passed w/ 4 or 5) and are going into Engineering?
*</p>

<p>My kids used their AP credits to skip Cal I. They did take Cal II at Bama…That said, Cal II doesn’t really build on Cal I…different concepts. One kid is a math major (graduated), and the other is ChemEng’g (junior).</p>

<p>I know that the advisors recommend retaking the Cal classes, but that’s because there are so many “average or below average” high school math teachers out there and the UA advisors have to assume that you had one. If your child had strong high school math/calc teachers (mine did), and your child did well, then feel free to move on. If you have a strong Cal I background then you’ll be bored retaking Cal I.</p>

<p>A couple of questions- first of all, is it possible to see yet which classes are available for fall 2012? If so, where?</p>

<p>I think I remember someone saying that Alabama Action was for credit. If so, where does that fit in for core requirements, or is it just extra?</p>

<p>I see that a core requirement is 8 hours of science (non-engineering major). Does that mean D should take 2 sciences each with a lab? Have any of your students taken astronomy? If so, how was it?</p>

<p>Last question! D will have to take 1 semester of math for her core requirement.
Currently she is in regular pre-calc. She doesn’t like math at all. She thinks she is bad at it even if she scored a 32 on the math section of the ACT. Can she just sign up for another pre-calc class at UA or is she required to take the math placement test? She is an English major- perhaps with a double major in Spanish, so I don’t think she is required to take Calc.</p>

<p>linnylu: Fall classes are not listed yet on mybama. They should be up in the coming weeks, as current students will be registering in mid-/late March. </p>

<p>Alabama Action is a one-credit course. It can be applied to the honors college requirement.</p>

<p>linnylu: She will have to take the math placement test, but assuming that she achieves a score high enough to enter pre-calculus (which she should given her ACT score and the fact that she has had pre-calculus already) then she will be able to register for Math 112. This is exactly what my daughter, who is a music major did. She placed into Calculus, but had no need for it and found that taking Math 112 was just the ticket for a stress free math experience. (It was actually easier than her high school pre-calculus class because her high school class included trig.) </p>

<p>One thing to note – for the degrees that don’t require calculus, the advisors often suggest Math 110 because it is supposed to be an “easier” math class – but if your daughter has been on a calculus preparatory math track in high school and just wants to take math to satisfy the core requirement, Math 112 is probably a better choice because Math 110 covers subjects that aren’t often covered in detail in the standard calculus preparatory high school curriculum (probability, elementary statistics, etc.) while Math 112 should be a repeat of things she’s already mastered.</p>

<p>I think I remember someone saying that Alabama Action was for credit. If so, where does that fit in for core requirements, or is it just extra?</p>

<p>AA is for one credit. It doesn’t count for a Core Req’t (I don’t think), but it will go towards UHP. </p>

<p>I see that a core requirement is 8 hours of science (non-engineering major). Does that mean D should take 2 sciences each with a lab? Have any of your students taken astronomy? If so, how was it?</p>

<p>As long as she takes 2 classes that have the N designation, she’s fine. That said, if your D is coming in with any AP Bio or Chem or Physics credits, then that would fulfill Core as well.</p>

<p>Since your D doesn’t seem to have fully settled in a major, I would advise choosing science and math classes that have a broad application to many majors. That way, if she were to change her major to something more STEM related or health related, she won’t have to retake science or math classes.</p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – General Studies Course Listing | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/general-studies/#tab=tab-1)</p>

<p>the above link will tell you the various core curriculum designations…click on the different tabs. The UHP classes that fulfill Core won’t be listed there. Those you can find out on MyBama when they get added. They might also be listed on the Honors College website.</p>

<p>Math classes that satisfy Core (there are also some higher level ones).
MATH 110 Finite Mathematics MA
MATH 112 Precalculus Algebra MA
MATH 113 Precalculus Trigonometry MA
MATH 115 Precalculus Algebra and Trigonometry MA
MATH 121 Calculus and Applications MA
MATH 125 Calculus I MA </p>

<p>Last question! D will have to take 1 semester of math for her core requirement.
Currently she is in regular pre-calc. She doesn’t like math at all. She thinks she is bad at it even if she scored a 32 on the math section of the ACT. Can she just sign up for another pre-calc class at UA or is she required to take the math placement test? She is an English major- perhaps with a double major in Spanish, so I don’t think she is required to take Calc.</p>

<p>Do you guys suggest taking two Intro Languages(German and Latin) at one time? I’m a Classics major btw. Also any Classics classes that you highly recommend (fun,great professor, etc)?</p>

<p>Another question- if you are in the honors college, can you automatically take any english honors course- example EN 215?</p>

<p>D will register for classes in June. Will she have to register for the basic freshman english class, EN 101, and then change it after she finds out the results of her AP lit test? </p>

<p>Finally, does anyone know if AP latin can count for a core humanities credit? I’m assuming that it can.</p>

<p>Can a class count for both core credit and credit for your major?
D will need to take a Lit course to fulfill her 12 seems humanities, lit, and fine arts requirement. For her major, she needs to take English 205 which is also a lit course.
Can EN 205 fulfill both requirements?</p>

<p>For that matter, could EN 206 fulfill the humanities core credit as well as counting toward her major?</p>