Any tips for campus vist?

<p>Yes, please do. I might attend UW and would likecto know if its a good school.</p>

<p>The visit was excellent. The campus is beautiful. The buildings and the lecture halls are very new and nicely equipped. The Lot 17 is very close to the Engineering Hall and Union South. We got 2 BOGO free ice cream coupons when we checked in. It was quite a walk during the tour, but the weather was really nice for that. It was the best of the 4 campus tours we did within the past month. We only had time to take Bus 80 to go around the campus after both sessions so we only see the capitol area from a far distance. The campus is very safe. By the way, the ice cream is great and it’s made on campus.</p>

<p>Billcsho, did you get to see the Memorial Union, the one on the lake? </p>

<p>I helped my daughter. a rising junior. move into the triplex she is renting with her girlfriends on Friday. Then I stuck around on Saturday to watch her run in the Madison Mini, a half marathon. It started and finished at the union, so I hung out there. There was a band playing on the terrace, the weather was perfect and it was so idyllic watching the sailboats on the lake. </p>

<p>I was reminded that my daughter took a tour prior to her senior year of high school and sat on the terrace and decided “I can picture myself here.” Of course the weather isn’t always that great in Madison, but her experience there has been great. She’s made great friends, has a really nice guy for a boyfriend and has had a great internship. Soon she will start another internship that promises to be great too. Those internships help shrink the large school experience to something more ideal.</p>

<p>I your student chooses Madison, I hope he or she has a similar experience.</p>

<p>We only see the Memorial Union from a distance on State Street in the middle of the tour. We did not intend to go there as we see the construction right in front of it. We met initially at the Union South which was built 2 years ago. The tour guide mentioned it has similar facility in the Memorial Union, so we are not so interested in going there. Anyway, the campus is a bit too big to see everything in one day.
Thanks.</p>

<p>I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, but too bad you didn’t go to Memorial Union and sit out on the Terrace with its views of Lake Mendota. Union South is certainly better than the dreadful building it replaced but it isn’t on the lake. </p>

<p>[Memorial</a> Union Terrace « UW-Madison Photo Library](<a href=“http://photos.news.wisc.edu/photos/10381/view]Memorial”>http://photos.news.wisc.edu/photos/10381/view)</p>

<p>To all who read this thread. DEFINITELY include the Memorial Union in your campus visit. Union South serves a function but THE Union is the one on the lake. We always found time for it when we made trips to Madison, with or without guests, just for the ambience. People of all ages can be found on the terrace, not just college students, as well.</p>

<p>Any similarity between the two unions is marginal. Cannot duplicate nearly 100 years of history and location in a new building. That is one of the silliest claims anyone could make. The guide needs some re-education as does the tour designer if it does not go to the Mem Union and Terrace in summer. One of the star sites on campus. Sometimes I wonder about the folks running things @UW. Their concepts of good marketing leave much room for improvement. I know the campus is too big to hit everything but hit the obvious stuff. Sheesh. BTW is was similarly unimpressed with the tour I took a few years ago just to see what they did. I was hoping for better now they they moved the starting point to the other side of campus.</p>

<p>I wish I know that before the campus visit. Anyway, the only time I had to visit the Mem Union would be during the walking tour. They should definitely include it in the tour. But I guess it may be related to the construction in front of it. It is nice to know there is a good place to visit on campus, but I think we are impressed enough with the campus without that. We are more concern with the engineering admission process.</p>

<p>Trying to fit in a tour of the Union Terrace would mean no time for any other areas of campus as the tour groups might refuse to leave! The campus is large enough, with enough great areas to visit, that no tour could capture everything. You could spend four years as an undergrad exploring the campus and still have more to discover. Another plus for UW.</p>

<p>That’s why you put it near the end of the tour. Not including it is so dumb on its face it simply boggles the mind. Give me the hours and I could put together a killer tour. And the 15 minutes we spent in Sterling looking at a big piece of equipment doing nothing visual–maybe not on general tour. Also never went into a single library–I’d use the History reading room. It LOOKS like college. And beautiful.</p>

<p>[Library</a> Reading Room Renovation Open House, Highlights at the Wisconsin Historical Society](<a href=“http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/highlights/archives/2010/04/renovation.asp]Library”>http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/highlights/archives/2010/04/renovation.asp)</p>

<p>My son and I visited in August. We went to the State Capitol, Memorial Union, State Street, etc. prior to the main tour. Since students were moving in, one of the counselors allowed us to see his dorm room and we also enjoyed the marching band preparing for the football season. For the record, the Memorial Union IS awesome and I was surprised when it wasn’t part of the main tour of campus. My son felt very comfortable in Madison and I hope he attends.</p>

<p>“Memorial Union… not part of tour.” Hmmmm</p>

<p>Well, it’s under construction and Park is blocked off at Langdon.</p>

<p>Greetings,</p>

<p>This is a representative from the UW-Madison Office of Admissions and Recruitment. If you have any questions or concerns regarding campus tours, we encourage you to contact Visitor & Information Programs at 608.263.2400 or <a href=“mailto:askbucky@uwmad.wisc.edu”>askbucky@uwmad.wisc.edu</a>.</p>

<p>It was not on tour before that started. Most of the good stuff is still open and people manage to get there. Can take-in new Alum Pier too.</p>