Any tips for campus vist?

<p>Hi there,
We are going to visit the campus in a few weeks. We've signed up for the general admission session with tour in the morning and the engineering session in the afternoon. I am wonder if there is any suggestions for my trip like where to park and where to eat lunch. Particularly, we will have only 30min to eat between the 2 sessions in Union South and Engineering Hall.
Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Union S. is new and not much parking. Check with staff. Need an all day pass. Wear comfy shoes. Could be hot–or not. Hills.</p>

<p>You can eat in Union South - plenty of options.</p>

<p>Did your email have parking information? There is a parking ramp next to the Engineering buildings - it is also where parents park for SOAR.</p>

<p>Get on one of the 80 buses, which are free. It will take around campus and start and stop right by Union South. It will give you a better idea of the size and lay out of the campus than the tour will.</p>

<p>@tsdad,
So the bus is free for anyone, or it requires student ID?
That would be a good idea to explore the campus. Thanks.</p>

<p>@Madison85,
The e-mail has little information regarding parking. It just directs me to the web page. We are going to stay there for ~6 hours. It seems the hourly rate would be cheaper than the one day pass. The question is where would be the most convenient location for parking and yet easy to find a spot at 9:30am.</p>

<p>just found an app on the website that it shows the current available visitor parking spots in each garage/lot. It seems the Lot 17 is much bigger and has many more visitor parking spaces.</p>

<p>Yes and it is really just a short level walk from there to Union South. Park all day and no worries about meters. If you park up top you can get a nice view of the football stadium, etc.</p>

<p>The bus is free for everyone and does not require a student ID.</p>

<p>^ Thanks. I found the bus map and info on the map too. It is a great idea to ride on those buses. We will certainly do that.</p>

<p>Our campus tour did not take us into a residence hall, the union, or the library, so if you have time, you may want to compliment your tour with visits to those places if they are of interest to you.</p>

<p>^ Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>If you have time after all of your sessions, a stop in the State St./Memorial Union area is always worthwhile. It’s about a fifteen minute walk from Union South, but I believe the free bus 80 drives past if you’d prefer - you’d have to check the map. Around there you can stock up on Badger gear at the University Book Store, get Babcock ice cream and see the lake at the Memorial Union, and walk up State Street for shopping/people-watching/food/culture. You get a great view of the capitol from State St. too. That whole area is pretty key to campus life and why a lot of people love it here so much, so it definitely warrants a closer inspection. Good luck on your visit!</p>

<p>^ Thanks a lot.</p>

<p>If you want to tour a dorm, the only residence halls that you can make an appointment to see are the ones with Learning Communities in them. When my son and I made a campus visit, we went to the General Admission session, then had lunch at Union South and in the afternoon we had tours of Bradley Hall in the Lakeshore Region and Chadbourne in the Southeast region. Even if you are not interested in any particular dorms, it is good to get a view of what some of the dorms are like. The tours do not take you to a dorm as the poster above states. But if you contact the residence halls where learning communities are, you can schedule a tour of some dorms with them and usually a current student takes you around.</p>

<p>^ Thanks for the info. We also have an afternoon session for engineering. I guess we won’t have much time to look inside the dorm. But we can check out the outside and the surrounding while riding the bus and driving around I guess. Is there any dorm pictures posted on the web?</p>

<p>Here you go: [Photos:</a> Residence Halls « Photo Library « UW-Madison](<a href=“http://photos.uc.wisc.edu/photos/list?tag=19-Residence-Halls]Photos:”>http://photos.uc.wisc.edu/photos/list?tag=19-Residence-Halls).</p>

<p>^ Thanks. That’s great.</p>

<p>You can use Google Earth or Bing to see arial views and street views of the dorms. You can see various indoor shots and get other info from the Res Halls website. Many varied styles and locations.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the tips. We will be there this Friday.</p>

<p>Please update us on your trip. If you are here today, 8.16, you have a great day for the tour. Weather is perfect. Actually the whole week has been pretty good.</p>