Anybody did MMSS summer program in UM

I am a sophomore in HS and I was accepted for the program. But not sure how it is like. Has anyone did ’ Social Choice and Mathematics of Voting ’ and how about ‘Graph Theory’? Please provide your comments. I need to make decision by the end of this month.

My son did this program last year and took a Number Theory session. He was a sophomore like you when applying. It was offered online last summer, not sure about this year. I’ll say this about it–it was much more high-level than he expected it to be. The course had no prereqs per se and he’s a sharp math student who at the time had only missed 4 questions on the math portion of the SAT and learns math concepts easily. But this was another level of math expertise he said. The majority of those students came with much more knowledge of the subject and of math proofs in general. He said it was the first time he felt like the dumbest kid in the room. And many of the students seemed like they were international. It has since made him rethink majoring in math in college. I told him not to let one summer session in a very specific topic do that. He’s considering Physics as his major now. We’ll see.

So the program was good but maybe the course wasn’t the best fit for my son. We probably should have asked more questions about it.

Thank you for your response!

My child also did one of the math courses the year it was online, and really loved it. It was a great class. I think it was on Polynomials.