Anyone from CA?

<p>Jimmy: What did you choose as your major?
Haha, fashoo we can room together!
I’m Hiren, do you have a Facebook? <– Very blunt ;)</p>

<p>The Legend: Wow already providing some great advice!
I went to Borders this Saturday and spent a good 5 hours researching Purdue.
I have to agree with you that Purdue is only good for their Engineering and Business program. Which is perfect because I am majoring in Business. </p>

<p>Oh and the weather…
I can barely stand the winds of California, not to mention when tis 60 degrees…
But there are things in life where you just have to suck it up, and those are one of the things.

1. I’m assuming you went to Purdue, have you already graduated?
  2. What was your major? Do you regret going to Purdue?
  3. From what you said, the weather seems disastrous, is at least tolerable? I honestly don’t go to the beach that often so I don’t plan on missing the beach…but the love I have for the sun is immeasurable.
    4)Oh and if you can, can you tell me what the Undergraduate Studies Program is? That’s just undeclared right?
    5)Is it difficult to switch majors? </p>

<p>You don’t have to answer all of them! I just needed some information cleared up. :)</p>

<p>Oh, I added you, well at least I hope I did.
I’m majoring in Business</p>

<p>Haha fasho I got it.</p>

<p>Um… i lived in Purdue for 4 years when I was a kid and I know lots of people from there [Although not currently attending =(] I am deciding if I should go there…</p>

<p>I am an Engineering major and I can only answer the weather question lol.</p>

<p>Compared to CA, it is horrible. Freezing cold in the winter and super hot in the summer. Expect to wear heavy clothes most of the time and have boots with snow filled in them. </p>

<p>sigh… I have some good choices here, but the Engineering prestige is attracting.</p>

<p>People that have gone to Purdue that I know for Engineering are successful. </p>

<p>But I have heard it has weeder classes for its strong majors. They have a high acceptance rate, but an equally high drop out rate. If you “survive” Purdue, you will be successful.</p>

<p>But don’t we have AC and heaters?</p>

<p>^Of course lol. I guess its fine if you sit indoors all day in the winter lol.</p>

<p>Quickly looking at the rankings, for Business anything from SB, Irvine and up seem to be on par with Purdue. Irvine has an outstanding buisness school. </p>

<p>Just curious, why not go to any of those schools?</p>

<p>Uhh, I didn’t get into the schools I wanted and I’m skeptical of the UC budget.</p>

<p>Guys, it does get cold and icey during the winters. Purdue is infamous for “polishing” the sidewalks with snow/ice instead of shoveling it away. You will see once you get here. Getting a snow day is like asking God for a sexual favor pretty much. When I was there my freshman year, the sidewalks were all polished up so you’d be slipping and it was -20 degrees due to wind chill and we still had class. They could care less if you get hypothermia or frostbites. lol</p>

<p>Hey Legend, global warming, heard of it? There were two bad months (Jan/Feb) this year but since Mar 1, weather has been pretty consistent (50/60 highs). On a side note, if you are an engineering major, the bad weather is a benefit. It is hell to study if the weather is beautiful and the RHI majors are out partying and your are slaving at the books. Believe me, if the weather had been any better I would not have finished engineering.</p>

<p>None the less, they wanted to know how the weather was compared to CA, and it is just horrible. If you lived in the mid west all your life, it wouldn’t matter. But for CA people, it will be very harsh.</p>

<p>Not gonna lie, compared to what I’ve heard about CA weather, Purdue would be like hell… only cold. I’m from Northern Indiana, where after some parts of winter, we rejoice for a 30+ degree day. However, there are some hills where I could see people sledding down during the winter if they can handle it. Just buy some warm clothes and learn how to cut through buildings. If you pick up a Starbucks at the Union and need to study, go through the underground tunnel to Stewart during the winter. I’ve been to Purdue on many occasions as my dad graduated there. Oh, and Indiana has pretty bipolar weather in fall and spring.</p>

<p>Temperature-wise, California has the edge. However, from a mudslide/brushfire/earthquake perspective, Purdue comes out on top. Plus, there have been scientific breakthroughs over the years that have enabled people to survive, and even flourish in winter. The most well-known of these breakthoughs are clothes. People where them in layers during winters, and do quite well in relation to the harsh cold. Whereas, with regards to mudslides/brushfires/earthquakes, the advances have been very limited. Classes at Purdue are held within headed buildings, and the weather lends a certain incentive to get to class quickly and focus on studies as opposed to wandering aimlessly along the California coast, which, by the way, is subject to tsunamis.</p>

<p>This having been said, I understand the concern that Californians have for actually experiencing four seasons, one of which happens to be winter. The beautiful flakes of pristine white that characterize winter’s onset rapidly become the grey slush of cursed slips and slides and bone-chilling cold that characterize the latter half of winters in the midwest.</p>

<p>So…you make the choice: mudslides or muck. It’s up to you.</p>

<p>I don’t think you should deny or accept Purdue for its weather. But think about if it is really worth the extra 10k, leaving very far,etc…compared to some nice options in CA.</p>

<p>If I was not considering Purdue, I would have already SIR’d to a school by now.</p>

<p>Also, as far as the budget system goes. I don’t understand what you expect to happen? This should be something that should not be factor in choosing against UC’s. The UC’s are still known as the “Public Ivies” and for CA students even with all the price hikes they are still way cheaper for CA residents that any private or OOS would be. I don’t believe that a system with millions alumni with a huge endowment and a huge attendance rate will soon just shut down or something. If anything they will be more selective in the future and cut even more applicants, this makes your college stronger as in terms of people attending. </p>

<p>I have no bad things to say about Purdue, besides its weather lool. But, just think about its worth before and consider all the options before making the decision.</p>

<p>Well, I’m about to find out. My ideal temperature is 80 degrees and my freezing temperature is roughly around 65, but I’m going to be a big baby about the weather. There are plenty of legitimate ways to keep the body war. Wink Wink. </p>

<p>I guess I’ll find out next week. I’m going to visit Purdue on 8th.</p>

<p>My ideal temperature is about 65, but then again, I’m from Indiana. We’re actually supposed to have good weather this week. So maybe you’ll actually get good weather from Purdue.</p>

<p>Hey guys here is a post of mine from anther thread: </p>

<p>Well, after weeks of researching and talking to Purdue/ UC students, this is what I have… I am writing all this down to help others with similar problems. =)</p>

<p>Well, I am probably going into Bio Medical Engineering (BME) and for this particular engineering, Davis is one of the best in the country. Overall, Engineering for the two UC’s and Purdue are not as far as the rankings suggest. Purdue is superior to those two UC’s in EECS, Mechanical and such. Overall, it is a very nice school for engineering. </p>

<p>As for the other popular major: Business. The UC’s are actually better then Purdue from what I have gathered. The extra amount of money is not worth it for Business. </p>

<p>Also, for people who want to go to Grad School. The advice is to save your money and just do very well in your undergrad school. Because it comes down to what you do in undergrad and not where you go. </p>

<p>For me personally, Purdue wants me to pay the full price, 40,500 or so. Davis is 25,000-28,000 or so. I am heavily leaning towards Davis, and will probably end up there. I did appeal to UCSD, so thats basically what I am waiting for.</p>

<p>I hope that this helped any one else who is making some similar decision.</p>

<p>Good Luck to all!</p>

<p>I am from right outside Philadelphia! Oh, is this not the PA thread? Oh, well. Still looking for a roommate, I am going for Natural Resources Engineering. Hit me up.</p>