Anyone going to University of Arizona from California?

I live in California and recently just got accepted to University of Arizona. But I don’t know whether if anyone else is going there from California. Also is it worth it?

I’m in Tucson, there’s a huge amount of people that come from Cali, we have a name for them haha . It’s one of the best state Universities by the west coast you can get into, there’s definitely chances to meet people and party (we do have a rep for being a party school but not as bad as ASU) and we’re huge on school spirit. If you’re pre med or engineering or science , and well a lot of other majors it’s great academically. Only reason I myself wouldn’t want to go is that I’d like to leave state.

What are u studying? Did u get a merit scholarship? Science and Business are top programs. U can get the classes u need and finish in 4 years, unlike some of the UC’s.

Freshman math classes capped at 35 students, English at 25. About 1/3 students from California.

Engineering another good program–they have some growing fields such as materials engineering. Have u visited? Friendly vibe. Classes are hard especially with freshman, sophomore weed out classes in 3 fields I just mentioned.

Good alumni network in CA

Well my major is Aerospace Engineering, and thank you.

My son got accepted and says he wants to go, but they just didn’t offer enough aid. I thought, when he applied, they were a WUE school, but they’re not (except for one major). He is warming up to some other schools now. Anyway, as you heard, there are a lot of California kids there. I’m surprised that so many people pay the OOS tuition. For us it is more than the UC’s, and for sure more than the state schools, so we’re looking more at those.

Thank you

There is an automatic merit scholarship–it was SAT score 1300 I think when DD started 2 years ago. At that time it was $12,000 per year scholarship renewable with 3.0 and 30 units annually. It brings tuition down to around what UC’s cost I think. It is how they get so many CA students.

Also at UCLA, at the time, a UCLA counselor told me DD would have to do many of her freshman classes at night because of over crowding, and the best teachers didn’t teach at night. At the time the UC’s were taking a lot of out-of-state students, it may have changed by now. I wish DD were closer but it has worked out ok.

Yes, I think only mining engineering was on the WUE? DD said no way, although I said she might have an advantage as one of the few women in the field…

I also like that UA locks tuition, the rate each freshman class starts at is exactly the rate they pay for 4 years, no price increase surprises. Living off campus after freshman year also really saves money. Lots of house rentals nearby no car necessary. Everyone bikes a lot.

Classes are big and hard until u get past weedout classes in sciences and engineering.

We are from California and my son didn’t like it there. Californians are much more friendly and excited than Arizona residents—maybe it’s the heat? Both his roommates left the school after one semester due to the lack of social life. Everyone’s dorm doors were closed in Highland. It’s like it’s the natural progression of AZ residents to attend their state school and they are not excited to be there. People didn’t even socialize at the dorm events—they just took the pizza and left. Frats keep getting busted for hazing/alcohol violations. Beautiful, small campus and wonderful administration, however. Food court food (so there is less bonding) or one cafeteria near the party dorm.