Anyone gotten a booster shot?

H and I just got ours and are waiting 15 min. Funny they didn’t make FIL wait at the same location as two weeks ago. But then nobody was here getting a shot. Today they were 7 ahead of us. But two were really good long time swimming parents of mine. We hadn’t seen each other in a few years so it was awesome catching us and showing how our super scrawny little kindergarteners are now 6-3 big strong men.

2 Likes

That hits close to home! :grin:

2 Likes

We got ours at Walgreens. H has Medicare and there was no charge for either of us.

I just hope the Walgreens near your mother is run better than the one near us. At this Walgreens there was hardly any mask wearing or social distancing by employees or customers. We left the second we got our shot instead of waiting for 15 minutes inside. If there had been any problems, we’d be closer to our (new) doctor’s office at home than from there.

1 Like

It doesn’t appear to matter for folks who got mRNA vaccines from the limited data that’s been put out.

1 Like

Some questions to consider:

1. Do you want a different kind of vaccine for your booster (i.e. J after M/P, or M/P after J) to try to stimulate the other parts of immunity better (still speculative), or play it safe (in terms of risks of adverse effect associated with specific vaccines) with the one you already got (assuming that you did not have any particularly bad adverse effects)?
  2. If you want an mRNA vaccine booster, what dose level do you want (P < M0.5 < M)?
1 Like

Good questions, for sure. No data has been released to help inform any decisions. The one study that the FDA used only goes out 30 days and only uses a full dose of Moderna. So for folks needing or wanting a booster now, if you got an mRNA vaccine initially there is not current evidence that it matters what mRNA booster you get. And no one seems to be suggesting that J&J after mRNA is a good choice, although we just don’t have the data to say right now. I will welcome more evidence gladly.

The female doctor on CNN (I think her name is Patel) was on tonight and said if you had Moderna or Pfizer, just get the booster. It doesn’t matter which, but she sees no reason to switch if you were happy with the one you got. If you got J&J and are a woman between 16-49, she’d recommend getting a Moderna or Pfizer because they are now available. She said she got the J&J because that was available, but since a few women have had issues with J&J (just a few), why chance it, just go with one of the others.

But definitely get something was her recommendation.

3 Likes

Yes, yellow fever and typhoid shots were the worst! All seven of got them simultaneously before we moved to Germany in 1970, and every one of us was sick and fevered.

My Shingrix arm hurts , but nothing from the flu shot.

2 Likes

I did read, for the first time, that there could be some benefit to those who originally got mRNA shots, to now getting a J and J. The gist was that it is possible that J and J lasts longer and also does a better job of stimulating T cells (antibodies aren’t the whole game here).

I am sensitive to inactive ingredients in meds and shots and did okay with Pfizer. Otherwise I would be pretty confused right now. It is going to take a long time to figure this all out .

1 Like

This whole thing is not reassuring in the least. At this point the experts are saying ‘get a booster, take your pick - or - take what is being served - something good will come of a booster - but w’ere not really sure which combo is best.’

Here is something that’s had me befuddled all along…the CDC does NOT recommend getting an antibody test to see if you have - well - antibodies. Because - supposedly - knowing your antibody status/ count can’t be correlated to a guaranteed level of protection. BUT at the same time the booster push seems to be based on declining antibodies.

The messaging is strange. It really does feel like ‘just DO something’ is the science of the day.

2 Likes

Just a reminder to those getting a booster. You might want to not get it on the side you sleep on. Just saying. Because some people not might remember this when asked which arm :roll_eyes:

Had a not so good night because of the sore arm and a headache and general Blechs. Tylenol helped with the general blahs. Once it wore off this morning it came back but back on meds I feel ok again. If it was a work day I would have gone in. I can deal fine with non illness related aches. I am a horrible sick person - very grouchy and angry. I’m glad I got it done.

I think I got the full dose of Moderna. I didn’t ask, but the nurse asked if it was my first dose and I said 3rd and she just nodded.

1 Like

Even if they had an idea for the “best vax regimen”, no way would they suggest it publicly as it would cause a run on that regimen only and discourage unvaccinated folks from getting their first jab.

It makes (public health) sense not to spend money on an antibody test; just get the jab, it’s faster and much cheaper. And note, the J&J enhances the second line of defense (T/B cells), not so much antibodies, the first line of defense.

(That is why my crystal ball says the best regimen is 2x of J&J and 2x of Moderna – accelerate both lines of defense.)

1 Like

I’ve had Pfizer 2X and am leaning towards 1X J&J.

We don’t know where this is going…are we all going to line up for another booster/dose in 3-6 months? Is the increased immunity from the booster longer lasting than the original jab(s) or will it wain even faster. We just don’t know. So I’m inclined to keep this first round of ‘just DO something’ to a lower content cocktail.

Both H and I did a quantitative anti-body test. He is 8 months out and I’m 6 months out of our 2nd Pfizer. Both of us show antibodies (his are higher than mine but both on the lower end of the scale) No one seems to know what they are. Was there an original infection (I suspect I had IT in December 2019)? Are the antibodies simply signs of a previous cold? Are they to the vaccine. The answer is unknown. If/when we decided on a booster - I’ll have us both do another antibody test.

It’s all too new to know exactly what is best when it comes to boosters. If they pick their best guess now and end up being wrong, everyone will be mad at them and call them liars or incompetent.

Seems at this point they’re acknowledging the lack of info while providing what is there and letting us each decide for ourselves - which I personally appreciate.

As I said before, the only “known” (from those who look at actual data and stats) is that any (US approved) vax is better than no vax. This they say repeatedly.

It’s definitely not fair to expect exact knowledge and guidance from something this new. Experts aren’t superhuman. They need data to go on. Covid is deadly enough, plus the long term issues many get, that waiting for data for “exact” known is deadlier than saying take your pick (even picking none is an option). At this point in time, the vaxxes x3 aren’t very harmful.

By the time 6 more months roll around I expect there to be more real data to consider before a x4 or not becomes an issue. This will come from all of us choosing our groups - control group included - and see what happens.

5 Likes

You are correct, no one is sure which combo is best. But any of them would be good, so that is the reassuring part. Expect for perhaps J/J followed by J/J.
The CDC not recommending antibody testing is because there is not a definitive cut off where you can say hey - you definitely need a booster. But we’re getting there. But also because antibodies are only one part of the immune response. You can have the maximum titre but still get sick if other parts aren’t working correctly, or if the viral load someone is exposed to is so high that it overwhelms the system.

You can tell if the antibodies are from the vaccine (spike protein) or infection (nucleocapsid).

1 Like

Took my mom for her booster and my heart sank when we got to Walgreens and I realized their power was out. I remembered that the pharmacy had told me yesterday that they were even doing walk-ins - so I put the car in reverse and went to another Walgreens a few miles away. They actually had the power out Walgreens list printed - guess they figured people would just detour to theirs! So no problem got hers done.

I have to say I was surprised that we literally walked in. No line, no one else getting one. This was in Michigan. (Also VERY few masks in any stores up there as well - so interesting the differences from area to area).

I don’t have it with me but I did notice the paperwork they gave her showed “Moderna Booster” and then a % of dose. Which reassured me it was the booster.

Also BRING YOUR ORIGINAL CARD if you can. I swear online it had said bring a copy - which I did - but when we got there they asked for her original card to update it - she did happen to have that with her.

2 Likes

Some antibody tests can distinguish between prior infection (will show nucleocapsid antibodies as well as spike antibodies) and vaccination (only spike antibodies). But those may not necessarily be the antibody tests you got.

Other than research, antibody tests (for anything, not just COVID-19) appear to be mostly used when checking individual response to vaccination for occupational purposes (e.g. paramedics, fire fighters). For most other situations, getting vaccinated is cheaper and quicker if there is any question.

Antibody tests are virtually 100% risk free…