Anyone gotten a booster shot?

But not cost-free. It does look like they cost more than what the government is paying for any of the vaccines.

Looking around the web, it looks like COVID-19 antibody tests come in spike and nucleocapsid versions. If you want both, you have to pay for each one.

Yes. I paid for the spike one. About the cost of a few glasses of wine at a restaurant. So, since Iā€™m not spending the $$ doing that - I figure this is a good use of those funds :slight_smile:

If you really want to know whether you had a previous COVID-19 infection, then you may want to get the nucleocapsid antibody test.

Deleted

I had a quantitative antibody test last week as part of a Johns Hopkins study on immunocompromised/chronic conditions and vaccines. My friend, who has rheumatoid arthritis, went from 250 to greater than 2500 level two weeks after vaccine.

My test last week was before the booster. Then I will get tested two weeks, one month, three months, 6 months afterward (as I remember). I will share results if useful.

I do keep in mind that antibodies are only part of the immune system. Clearly Moderna produces the most antibodies, Pfizer second. The T cells are best enhanced by J and J apparently.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no place to note it on your vax card. One of the commenters at Thursdayā€™s ACIP (CDC) meeting said there was concern that there is no way to note a half dose on the vaccine registries (something about the NDC code?).

@ClassicMom98 did you indicate you were immunocompromised? I thought only immunocompromised folks got the full dose.

To be honest, I donā€™t remember. The website had changed from when I signed FIL up two weeks prior. I had to say he was immunocompromised since he was Moderna and there was no booster choice. This time there was but the simple list seemed like I had to pick full dose. But then if you clicked the CDC list link there were choices for over 50 (H), teachers (also H) and then high risk professions which is where I put myself since I work in a building where nobody cares about social distancing, masks or vaccines.

But also our cvs didnā€™t seem to pay any attention to the online stuff. They had us all check in again in person and enter stuff manually but didnā€™t ask any questions.

2 Likes

I had Pfizer originally and have been pondering whether or not to get J&J for the booster precisely because of the different immune response. Iā€™m hoping guidance/studies on this are forthcoming soon.

2 Likes

Me too! I am anxious to get a booster but hope for more info.

1 Like

We just got our Moderna boosters (1/2 dose) , this morning. Just wanted to to be sure to get it done before the Thanksgiving holiday and had Moderna before, so no ā€œponderingā€ involved.

We got out Moderna booster today at Walmart. Plenty of appointments and no wait. We are eligible bc work in a high risk industry, though our little corner is not particularly high risk. They didnā€™t ask for our ID though or eligibility. I like that Walmart provides a digital vaccine card now (since we got all vaccines there, all three now show up).

I have been torn about getting the booster. We are at 8 months out now. But ultimately I figured that Iā€™d end up caving before more studies or variant boosters were out. So just did it. Iā€™m glad I donā€™t have to think about it anymore. And if another booster is needed, then Iā€™m that much closer to being eligible when it appears.

Iā€™ve read some articles saying half dose booster shouldnā€™t produce as many side effects as first two. Wish that were true for me! First shot I was fine; second I felt like I had the flu for 36 hours; third is replicating second and Iā€™m feverish, achy, a little nauseous. Worth it, but still annoying.

3 Likes

My husband and I received our Moderna boosters yesterday at CVS. Our reactions were milder than after dose #2. After dose #2 I had a low grade fever for 1 evening and he felt very fatigued the next day. This time around all we have is a mildly sore arm.

5 Likes

Now that Moderna has sorted itself out, I have an appointment for Tuesday, and canā€™t wait! Now I need my H to get on the ball or give me his schedule, and get his done.

1 Like

Same here so far ,both of us just have a mildly sore arm. Hope nothing more develops but just glad to be able to get the booster at Rite Aid before getting together with family for Thanksgiving. Definitely smoother than the process at a big vaccination site for the first two Moderna doses.

1 Like

I noticed this morning (36 hours past shot) that my shoulder was all pink like a sunburn. Itā€™s slightly tender to the touch but not as sore as yesterday. I slept very well last night and thought I felt great but the headache and body aches came back. On Tylenol I feel perfectly normal and have gone on with my day as usual, but once they wear off, the aches come back. I donā€™t seem to have a fever, but admit I havenā€™t taken it. Slightly annoying but I will definitely take it vs even mild covid. I can do aches. Respiratory stuff no thanks.

Also annoying - H said he didnā€™t feel good in the middle of the first night after the shot, but since then nothing. Of course, he had zero reaction to the second shot and maybe zero to the first as well. He might have had a mildly sore arm.

I may have commented too soon. Hubby has already headed off to bed, which is unusually early for him for a Sunday night. Perhaps a bit of fatigue after all.

Just booked both mine and my husbandā€™s for this week. I am going Friday after work to give myself the weekend, in the event I donā€™t feel well. Neither one of us had a any problem with our 2 Moderna vaccines, I hope for the same outcome with the booster.

1 Like

Probably COVID arm. You can look it up to see.

A relative had this. It went away after a few days no problem. She did not get it with her second shot. It was her only symptom (she is in her mid-80ā€™s). I didnā€™t think it showed up that quickly after the shot though - in my relativeā€™s case it was several days, maybe a week later.