Anyone gotten a booster shot?

I have two appointments for a Moderna booster on Thursday - one at noon at the CVS five minutes away, and the other later in the day at UCSD’s outdoor tents 15 minutes away (which would involve $3 parking cost). I am a UCSD Health system patient. My husband thinks it’s better to go through the medical system - and that the vaccine administrators would be better than possibly a pharmacy intern or helper - not sure who CVS is using. I basically agree but can’t decide! What would you do - closer free parking drugstore, or further but handled by my health system?

I don’t think it matters which one you go to.

3 Likes

Agree. We went to Rite Aid. It was a pharmacist that administered the shots, not a tech. Much smoother, quicker, for us than the bigger vaccination site where we got the first two doses.

I had a 3pm CVS appointment. I had booster in arm at 3:01.

That said H had an hour wait at Walgreens so probably depends on staffing and organization.

2 Likes

Did your H have a confirmed appointment at Walgreens? We made appointments at Rite Aid for 11 and 1120. We checked in together and both had our shots by 1102. The pharmacist asked us to wait for 15 minutes to leave, so we left at 11:17.

Yep. He had an appointment. There was only one pharmacist working and no assistant. They were trying to do everything.

OK, just confirmed with the CVS store that it’s the pharmacist administering the booster (and that it’s the 50% Moderna dose booster). It really is more convenient.

5 Likes

My pharmacist is great at giving vaccines, so I am happy to have him give me my booster! He has given both my husband and I flu shots for years, as well as both Shingrix vaccines, which is more shots than most doctors have given in their practices.

1 Like

It varies around here. Our pharmacist is great at giving shots. The tech not as good (gave H a bruise). I like nearby and free parking myself. That’s where we’ve gotten our 3rd Pfizer and our flu shots, neighborhood cvs.

It’s funny because I went through the same thought process–nearby CVS, or farther away county site where I got the first two shots.

I decided to do CVS and it seemed fine. My question is, if anyone here is in a state that uses the Docket app, will CVS vaccinations show up on it the way my “government” ones did?

I must admit that when I go for my annual flu shot, or for other vaccines at my local Tom Thumb, I wander back toward the pharmacy department to see if Brandon is working. If he isn’t there I’ll come back next week. Some people have a gift at injections.

The pharmacist (in Virginia) said the booster we got is reported to the state.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure my CVS sign up online included an agreement that the vaccination could be reported to the state (California). Also looks like my choice is between a pharmacist that can be contacted again vs an unknown nurse? tech? whoever is working the tents. I sure didn’t know anything about whoever was giving me the first two vaccines in the Petco parking lot, nor did I know whoever gave my drive through flu shot last year.

What’s amusing is that my husband wants to get his booster through his health system (different than mine) but his appointment is at their pharmacy. So likely also a pharmacist.

1 Like

I know my CVS shots were reported to NYS because that’s how I got my Excelsior pass.

1 Like

I know that the health system that gave me Pfizer 1&2 reported my shots because my SafeTravelHawaii.gov site approved my and H’s electronic vaccine pass. I’m not sure whether or not cvs reported the booster but I’m thinking and hoping they did.

1 Like

Well…had the shot about dinner time last night. So far, just a mildly sore arm. Slept well! Hoping the whole day is like this…and that tomorrow the sore arm is OK…because I have 100 daffodil bulbs to plant!

7 Likes

Thanks all! I’ll trust the CVS shot will show up eventually on Docket. As far as the original ones–they were in an empty school building the county had fitted out, a very permanent feeling site (it’s still running, one of four in our county that have been doing vacs since last February non-stop.) So for me, going to CVS seemed iffy because the county system is so incredibly well-run. But, it seemed fine once I did it.

So far today, very, very mildly sore arm and a little tired. I’d actually like some “real” symptoms" to make me feel like it was working even though I know that’s not necessary, lol.

My Moderna 1 and 2 were reported to somebody by CVS, as I brought my card to my first physical post-vaccination, but the practice already had all my vaccine info on file.

Wife got her vaccinations at an NFL stadium that is kinda busy right now…she’ll be going to CVS for her booster!

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday. I have to say, I feel like crap. Chills all night. Tylenol is helping this morning.

Yeah I think I had all of the moderna symptoms for you all. For me it lasted about 3 days of headache and bodyaches. I’d feel normal on Tylenol but as soon as it wore off, it’s be right back. My arm wasn’t as sore as the first, but more than the second. And it turned pink like the first for about 3 days. But even now 5 days later, it will still itch if I go poking at it. I suspect I got the full dose which is fine. It is all just minor annoyances. A million times better than anything respiratory.

3 Likes