Anyone gotten a booster shot?

I feel like a chemistry experiment right now.

Got the covid (moderna) in the spring, scheduled for my booster on Friday. About 10 days ago got my flu shot and first shingrix. I also need a Dtap and a pneumonia shot! I had the original pneumonia shot about 9 years ago and it was supposed to last 10 years, so not only is it time for another, the new one is better. I am most concerned about whooping cough as I’m starting to do some volunteer work in an elementary school and those germy little kids are out to get me, I’m sure.

Good news is kids (those germy elementary school ones) are going to start getting vaccines next week!

The standard recommendation is Td or Tdap every 10 years for adults. If you are concerned about whooping cough (pertussis), be sure to get Tdap rather than Td, which still seems to be the default when someone is getting that booster.

T = tetanus
d = diptheria
ap = acellular pertussis

The same arm? I thought that it’s recommended to get simultaneous vaccines in different arms?

Does anyone know if you’ve had whooping cough, (thanks anti-vaxxers!), how long the immunity might last. I think I’ve been vaccinated in the meantime as I got it in 1981, but for some reason I don’t have a list of vaccines I’ve had. I should ask for it.

Some observational studies suggest that pertussis infection can provide immunity for 4 to 20 years. Since this immunity fades and does not offer lifelong protection, CDC still recommends pertussis vaccination.

You are supposed to get DTap boosters every 10 years. I’m really not as worried about tetanus as I am about whooping cough. A kid in our grade school got it (fully vaccinated, healthy kid) and he was done and out for a month, and then coughed for 6 more months. It was pretty bad.

Both my kids are past due for it too (25 years old) so I have to push for them to get a booster. A mother’s job is never done!

My semi-quantitative antibody level 5 1/2 months after my second Pfizer was 1075 U/ml with reference negative value <0.8. Optimal is > 2500 but >250 is a good response for me. Some people get >25,000 soon after shots!

Now I have to decide whether to get Pfizer or Moderna for my third.

I never ever want to get whooping cough again. I’ve never felt more like I was dying.

@MADad - I also had some slight dizziness after booster…

It is not unusual for antibodies to be quite high shortly after vaccination, but decline thereafter. Of course, it is less easy to measure how much of an effect that makes on vaccine protection from the virus, since vaccination affects other aspects of immune response that are less visible and counted compared to antibodies.

Yup, same arm. I was in the military and would sometimes get 5 shots at once. 2 in one arm, 3 in the other. The only vaccine I avoided doubling up in one arm was Anthrax. I had no issues or reactions with the Moderna 1 & 2 so I just went for both vaccines in my right arm this time. I went for my dominant arm so that it got more movement.

Today I got my second Shingrex shot. I got the flu and booster in my right arm a week apart (I’m a lefty), and did the Shingrex today, a week later, in my left. As with the first Shingrex, no reaction (yet).

4 Likes

I got an appointment for the Moderna booster next week. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Did you have Moderna for first and second?

No, Pfizer. From listening to interviews of doctors, it seems like mixing is a good option. CVS will let you do that.

1 Like

Meaning that you want a bigger dose (Moderna and 0.5 Moderna are larger doses of mRNA than Pfizer)?

Seems like the theoretical advantages of mixing may be more when mixing J&J with an mRNA vaccine, due to stimulating immunity somewhat differently. But risks of unpleasant effects may also be greater than if you stick to the same one that you had before without being too unpleasant.

1 Like

Got my Moderna booster this afternoon. Had Moderna #1 and #2 back early in the year (Jan, Feb) Got my flu shot when I saw my PCP 2 weeks ago.

I’m now up to date on all my vaccinations- pneumonia, Shingrix, TDaP, flu, Covid, etc … I’m spending a lot of time with my 1 YO twin granddaughters and can’t risk passing on anything that might make them sick. (Though I think the babies have had more vaccinations than I have. D1 read me the list of shots they get at their 1 year check up. It’s something like 7 shots for 9 different diseases.)

5 Likes

Here is the CDC vaccination list for infants and children:

At one year, they get vaccines for:

• Hepatitis B (3rd)
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b (3rd or 4th)
  • Pneumonia PCV13 (4th)
  • Polio IPV (3rd)
  • Influenza IIV (if time of annual dose)
  • MMR (1st)
  • Varicella (1st)
  • Hepatitis A (1st)

Just chiming in on Covid vaccines.

I had J&J in March and just got a Pfizer booster on Sunday. I had no problems through the day on Monday (adrenaline?) but felt a bit chilled with a slight headache in the evening.

I had tried to keep the fluids up and take Tylenol as recommended, but by mid-day Monday, I’d lapsed on the Tylenol and didn’t have enough to drink.

The arm hurts a little and otherwise, today I feel fine.

1 Like

n = 1, but I had Pfizer x 3, and if anything the side effects from the 3rd were weaker than from the other two. Mild arm achiness if I raised my arm. Was out picking the last of the apples from the top of the tree the next day. Far worse reaction to flu and Shingrix.

1 Like