Anyone gotten a booster shot?

I did not have an elevated temperature in response to the #3 Pfizer. My usual ‘resting temperature’ is 97.6 +/- a bit. It didn’t rise and I was tracking due to the rapid heart rate.

Hmmm, mom and I had no reaction to Pfizer 1, 2 or 3. H reacted each time!

We now consider COVID to be a cardio vascular issue as much as a lung issue. It concerns me that, in my case, the vaccine actually caused a mimicking of the disease. That hasn’t been the case with other vaccinations.

Where my guy works they unofficially consider Covid to be a blood clotting disease that also affects other systems - usually due to the clotting. This is for the hospitalized cases anyway, though when looking up the long term issues for my other lad who likely had it, people often get issues from Covid even if they’re asymptomatic. To me, that’s worrisome.

Also where my lad works they wonder what the effect is going to be on health systems further down the road. Many have cardiac, lung, kidney, brain, and probably some issues I’m forgetting, but live. Their systems are still impacted and as they age, the fear is there will be plenty more than “usual” needing care.

Those are all more reasons they’re stymied that folks are anti-vax (or anti-booster). So many don’t realize that Covid, itself, provides more harm from side effects than the vaccine does for the vast majority of people. It really isn’t all about current death rates.

3 Likes

As to heart rates, since I can hear mine all the time I don’t have to purposely monitor it. I’m usually at a resting rate of mid 50s to lower 60s. For any sort of actual illness it raises to the 80s and I just consider it normal TBH. For the vaxes it raised into the 70s, briefly hitting 80s on the last one. If it were to go to 90s or 100+s I’d be worried, but I can’t imagine getting concerned with “the usual.” The immune system is simply working as it should be it seems.

People are different, of course, but it’s still all in the range of normal.

Other than “flu-like symptoms” from the flu vaccine or “mild pink rash” from the Measles vaccine, or “headaches” from the Meningococcal vaccine, or “swelling of the salivary glands” from the mumps vaccine, or “diarrhea or vomiting” from the rotavirus vaccine, or …

4 Likes

MY experience has been that most vaccines mimic the illness, or at least, they make me sick. The flu vaccine gives me fever and chills, body aches and headache every time. For 4-5 days.

I was pleased to get side effects from my COVID booster. I felt that my immune system was working. I also think it tended to inflame areas that already tended toward inflammation, so I got severe pain in my left rib cage, probably costochondritis.

I have afib occasionally with pulse rate approaching 200. I understand concern about a slightly higher pulse in the 80’s, but it does make sense that pulse and bp might increase while our immune systems are working hard, and I would even see that as a good sign of a strong response to the vaccine. But that’s just my view. I was more concerned when I had virtually no side effects from #1 and #2.

When I ran seriously, I monitored my heart rate every day. When it was high in the morning, I knew I was fighting off something. Often, I would develop symptoms later in the day. It’s normal.

1 Like

I didn’t get more than a sore arm or a slightly foggy brain, but I liked getting something to know it was working.

I asked my lung doc if I should be worried about no side effects from Pfizer 1, 2 or 3 and he said nope. I rarely have reactions from any shots, nor does my mom. They seem to work because we don’t get the conditions the shots protect us from.

My feelings of reassurance from getting side effects may indeed be irrational!

I dread a flu shot and would rather get protection without any evidence of immune response :slight_smile:

I had written this two days ago, but need to come on to add additional information about it for clarification since we just talked with him again today.

That one (only) person who had Covid in the ICU and was fully vaccinated with a booster when he’s been working was NOT in the ICU because of Covid. They were asymptomatic for it - it was only discovered because everyone gets tested. They were in there for another cause and have since gone home.

He also told me some Covid patients in the hospital are only there because their place of residence requires their going to the hospital if they test positive - even if they are asymptomatic. Some of those are vaccinated too adding to the “post vaccination hospitalization numbers” where he is. These folks are not in the ICU.

To me, that info was rather critical to understanding numbers if they do it the same way everywhere. It’s reassuring, and annoying in that I wish they would keep “bad” or “severe” Covid numbers separate from the others.

Are other places similar?

Lest anyone assume all is well, he also said they are now getting in Covid patients from other, smaller, hospitals not really in their region due to lack of ICU beds there. I don’t know how many. He just said they had their first and are expecting more.

Then he wanted to remind everyone to get boosters because the worst are those unvaccinated (they currently have people in their 20s and 30s in the ICU for Covid - all those are unvaxxed), and if vaxxed to get boosters because “it does help, esp if older or with other risks,” so I’m adding his thoughts on here. He’s quite literally on the front line this rotation (as a resident) and sees both the deaths plus people who have been in the ICU for weeks or months. Being where he is gives him high respect for what Covid can do, even if many never get to that stage.

I’m glad we have our boosters already. I wish FIL would change his mind. I’m not sure how much of what medical lad said he could hear and understand. His hearing isn’t the best.

3 Likes

The AL where my in-laws were in 2017-18 does something similar. My co-worker’s uncle in law is up there and turned up positive in a random test. They sent him to the hospital where he tested negative on the rapid test. The hospital also did a PCR test but since he was negative on the rapid and not in distress they discharged him - but AL wouldn’t take him back. So he went to stay in his old home which fortunately hadn’t sold yet for 14 days until he was deemed ok to come back. But his PCR test was positive (took 3 days to get the result) so I guess it was good he didn’t go back. But what happens if you don’t have a place to go. My coworker said they would take you if you stayed in your room for the 14 days and hired someone to sit there and take care of you. Sounds like a nightmare.

And he was vaccinated but not boosted. He’s in his mid 90s and I don’t think he ever got THAT sick. Or at least not sick enough to require a hospital or advanced care.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at D’s. A couple that D & SIL are close with were supposed to join us. Both of the friends are vaccinated & have had boosters, and they take the same precautions D & SIL take. Unfortunately, the woman had a medical emergency earlier this week & spent time in the ER & then was admitted. Yesterday morning, she couldn’t smell or taste … after a trip to urgent care, Covid was confirmed. She figures she got it at the hospital - she really hadn’t been anywhere in the past couple weeks other than there. It’s just so hard to escape. We are glad she found out before exposing our 11 month old granddaughter.

6 Likes

That’s so strange that ALs would be “requiring” Covid positive residents to be hospitalized even if mildly ill or asymptomatic. Hospitals will not admit patients who are not sick just because some third party demands it. Where does that leave someone without other options???

1 Like

I’m taking my son for his booster at 5:30 today. I got him the appointment just before eligibility opened up to everyone. His severe mental illness qualified him.

Now they’re predicting snow late afternoon, ugh. I have to drive him to his apartment after his shot, so I will be driving an hour and a half in the snow. I don’t want to postpone it because appointments are hard to find now.

Medical lad’s apparently does. I’m not sure if it’s a NYS Covid “rule” or just what they are doing. They aren’t in the ICU, but they are in the hospital.

I wonder if those people will have trouble with insurance companies refusing to pay for hospital care for people who are not even showing signs of illness. That’s just crazy.

Two years ago my brother was sent by his doctor to the ER for a critical blood level. The ER determined he needed a blood transfusion and colonoscopy. The insurance company denied all claims for a man who was very very sick, saying it was not justified treatment. He didn’t get the colonoscopy and two years later he still looks like death warmed over because he is still severely anemic.

And people with NO symptoms of Covid admitted to hospital simply because their facilities demand it?

Our healthcare system is just ridiculous.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure if the Feds or State is paying for it or what. NY had the problem of sending Covid patients back to their nursing homes in the beginning and got slaughtered for that decision in the news. This policy could have come from that? I honestly don’t know and doubt my lad does either.

I know it surprised me to hear it. I understand Covid patients being in the hospital for something else and Covid just being a side issue, but to have them there with nothing else wrong (including bad Covid symptoms) really seemed strange. He said they don’t want them spreading it to others in their living facilities.

I wish the numbers could get broken down to know how many are hospitalized “for real” instead of for distancing for both vaxxed and unvaxxed people.

Well – and who are you going to hire? It’s incredibly hard to find anyone, let alone on demand. It was rough a year ago and has only gotten worse.