Anyone gotten a booster shot?

I am wondering why studies showed that a Pfizer booster for the Moderna primary series upped antibodies more than a Moderna dose. Even more interesting, the study was done with the full dose of Moderna, and not the 1/2 dose that is the actual booster.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1451418802416197633?lang=en

Received both vaccines (Jan ‘21) doses and booster (late Sept ‘21) and I’m currently lying in bed after a positive COVID test 2 days ago.
Essentially feels like strep throat
hopefully the vaccines keep it from getting any worse.

1 Like

Mixing it up always produced the best results.

1 Like

Besides the study that showed Pfizer booster after Moderna primary series produced more antibodies than a full Moderna dose (study only used full Moderna dose), I heard a rep of vaccine administrators in the CDC’s ACIP committee meeting re boosters say that his organization was very concerned about maintaining sterility of the Moderna vial when there could be twice as many draws from it (half-dose boosters).

And, I am of the “less is more” mindset with meds, etc. My H got Pfizer primary plus Pfizer booster. That is a total of 1 microgram of vaccine. I got Moderna primary plus Pfizer booster, which is a total of 2.3 micrograms of vaccine.

People who got 2 doses of Moderna primary plus 1/2 dose Moderna booster got 2.5 micrograms of vaccine.

And those who got three full doses of Moderna got 3 micrograms of vaccine.

1 Like

old fort: have you considered a 4th shot using J&J which boosts the T-cells (instead of antibodies)?

I think I may get Pfizer as my 4th booster.
I will read up more on it.
Do you have any research to indicate JJ maybe better?
My younger daughter got JJ initially then 2 shots of Pfizer.
D1 got 2 shots of Pfizer and one shot of Moderna.

Those looking for “vaccine diversity” in terms of varying immune responses (antibodies versus T cells) may want to get a J&J booster if they previously had an mRNA vaccine and an mRNA vaccine if they previously had J&J.

2 Likes

Can you reference any credible research paper on that? I tried to google

Anyone know if I currently have Covid and haven’t gotten a booster yet, should I now wait a certain amount of time before getting the booster or is it okay to schedule it in a week or two?

If I had my first two shots and currently had covid I would feel quite protected for the time being and delay getting the booster. Iimmunity should be higher after your current infection. I personally would probably wait 90 days and then get the booster.

Sources I have read do recommend getting the booster after infection once you feel better though. Which could mean getting it soon if you are otherwise eligible.

That being said, speak to your doctor. They should be your resource for advice.

3 Likes

There was this: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2115596

Once you have recovered from your illness (no symptoms, fever free, and come out of quarantine), you can receive a booster.
Now that I think about it, when I registered at CVS, I believe there was a question asking if you had covid in the previous 14 days. You can check to be sure.

2 Likes

There was a study of long COVID (defined at continuing symptoms 12-20 weeks after) where previously unvaccinated people who got infected were less likely to have have long COVID if they got vaccinated after their acute infection, and less likely the sooner they got vaccinated after. However, those who were vaccinated before and got breakthrough infections had the lowest risk of long COVID.

Of course, this was pre-booster, so it may not directly apply to those who got breakthrough infections and are now considering when after infection to get a booster.

Saw my oncologist yesterday, and asked her about when I should get my booster (was told six months after the 3rd full dose of Moderna in September). My specific concern is that if my knee replacement actually happens in mid-February, I definitely want the booster before the surgery and hospitalization – and because of all of my active chemo, cardiac and blood clotting issues, I will be in the hospital a couple of days. They may try to send me to a rehab hospital, but I will fight that tooth and nail. BTDT, was not impressed. OTOH, I will have to be able to manage stairs as soon as I get home – no bathroom on the entry level of our house.

tl;dr – oncologist told me to get the booster ASAP, no matter what happens with the knee replacement. Think I’m going to do Pfizer to get a different spin than Moderna.

1 Like

Someone on the news yesterday said the original recommendation to wait several months before getting another shot after having covid was in part b/c of some natural antibodies that one had for several months after contracting covid in the face of a limited supply of vaccine. Interesting comment. Not sure if it’s completely true, but it was an interesting comment. ANd yes, you can now get the vaccine/booster shortly after you recover from Covid.

Your PT will be there to show you how to do that ASAP. I have a neighbor PT and expressed some concern about this
and she said
it would be the easiest thing to learn to do post op
and she was right!

But they did suggest limiting trips up and down stairs for a bit. So
you might want to plan to be on the floor with the bathroom until they clear you to go up and down whenever!

I believe the FDA just lowered it to 5 months, down from 6. Depending on when you had it in September, you may be able to fit it in.

The FDA lowered the time for a Pfizer booster–now 5 months. However it is still a six month interval for Moderna. (As an immunocompromised person I am eligible for a Pfizer booster later this month, but could not get a Modern until late February. I kind of wanted to mix and match, but my doctors say to get this as soon as I can so, Pfizer it is again).

1 Like

Erk. Sounds like butt stairs
just make sure you have handholds ready so that when you try to get up from the floor you’ve got stuff to grab onto and don’t wind up accidentally resting on the knee or swinging the surgery leg into a wall or baluster. Might want to practice with that before the surgery date.

And not to be indelicate, but
portable travel toilets are available, cost about $100. The featured one on amazon reminds you that you can use it on your yacht. Because that’s definitely how I imagined people buying yachts: “Hey, I sure love my yacht! Check out the gold braid on my cap! Nothing but open water for me! Now where’s the
oh, man, didn’t I get the model with a toilet?” “Don’t worry, captain baby, I’ve brought my portable travel toilet along.” “Wow! You’re a lifesaver!” “But captain baby, the lifesaver’s on the wall over th – oh.” “Oh man, did I buy the yacht without the lifesavers included?”

Might be a good idea for the first few days at least.

No problems. Scheduled online.

Me: 2 doses plus booster: Moderna
Husband: 2 doses plus booster: Moderna
18 y.o. daughter: 2 pfizer doses plus moderna booster
14 y.o. son: 2 doses pfizer plus pfizer booster

Moderna boosters through CVS. Pfizer booster through walmart.

1 Like