Anyone use the kitchen?

<p>I was curious if anyone had a student who took time to use the community kitchens in the dorms? </p>

<p>Since DS will be arriving early and eating venues on campus will be scare, I was thinking that he may need to make use of the kitchen…but wonder if it would actually happen?</p>

<p>D1 uses the kitchen all the time. Even when she was a freshman & had to have a meal plan, she used it a couple of times per week.</p>

<p>My D used the kitchen mostly for baking cookies. On one visit I used it to make a big batch of salsa.</p>

<p>Do they have cookware? Or do I need to send him with what he would need? He doesn’t cook a lot, mostly breakfast. I just know he won’t do well with only having “fast food” he isn’t used to it and it makes him ill after a few meals.</p>

<p>No cookware, so he will need to take his own.</p>

<p>This summer, my son’s roommate has made much use of the kitchen. Son says he has made pretzel bread, like the new Wendy’s sandwiches, and even made fried chicken for the 4th of July. Son enjoys Food Network, so he is really digging rooming with this kid.</p>

<p>I think I would like rooming with the kid, too!</p>

<p>My son used the kitchen a few times when he lived on campus. When I visited him, I also used it. My son was glad that I made several dishes that he loved. If my younger son attends Bama, I envision him using the kitchen as he loves to cook.</p>

<p>My D and some friends from her dorm used to have one night a week at the beginning of last year where they’d take turns making dinner in the community kitchen. When I dropped D off for Move-in we saw upperclassmen who were AA and OA leaders making dinner in the kitchen. And I know the kitchen was used for frozen pizza and cookies. You’ll need to supply your own cookware and utensils.</p>

<p>My D did use the kitchen. One year the kitchen was close to her room; the next year it was down 2 hallways. You do need to clean up after yourself. Kinda goes without saying. But you do have to take everything to the kitchen. Cook. Clean up. Then take everything back to the dorm. So it is a bit of work. </p>

<p>Suggestion: practice making food in the microwave at home. For example, you can make rice in the microwave.</p>

<p>See, me, if there’s no dishwasher, I ain’t cooking in it. Drives me nuts to go to the dorm and see that sink full of dishes. I know, I’m terrible, I should be green, but I send son with disposable, as I don’t want to stay awake at night envisioning that sink full of dishes. At least he’s not eating off of that stuff.</p>

<p>Excuse this question but I am a first time college parent~When others (parents) say that they used the kitchen does this mean you go and stay at the dorm? Can you spend the night in your childs room? Do you just spend time there and cook for them? Thanks
(<a href="mailto:gotjenks45@live.com">gotjenks45@live.com</a>)</p>

<p>gotjenks, I personally have not spent the night in the dorm but its not unheard of. I thought I was going to have to during move-out but ended up able to get a room in town. But if I had, my D would have given me her bed and she would have slept on the couch. </p>

<p>When I cooked, I just made a large batch of salsa. D invited her friends over and we sat around eating chips.</p>

<p>Many of my son’s friends had their dads come down for Parents Weekend to enjoy a football weekend with their sons. Those dads did crash out on the floor in their son’s rooms.</p>