AP credit, to take or not to take?

<p>Hey guys, I self studied both Calc AB and BC and took the AP exams. I am wondering whether I should take the Calc I and II credits or not (assuming I score well enough)? The pros are obvious, but I am just worried if I missed some concept would I suffer later on or would I be fine? And another thing is that I would be letting go off two easy A's in freshman year, I hear that first two years I should try and get as high grades as possible. I would really appreciate any help at all.</p>

<p>I plan on doing Computer Science with a minor in math.</p>

<p>What is your major and what math classes are you required to take at VT (assuming you did not want to use the credit)</p>

<p>Im doing Computer Science, and the required math courses for me to receive a CS degree are
Elementary Linear Algebra, Calculus I, Calculus II, Vector Geometry, Intro to Differential Equations, Multivariable Calculus, Intro to Discrete Math, and Applied Combinatorics.</p>

<p>Of those I can take credit for Calc I and Calc II if i scored well enough which I feel like I did.</p>

<p>One item to consider in determining to take or not. The Calc classes at VT are very difficult, regardless of what you have taken during H.S. Do not assume that it will be an easy “A”. For example, my son received a 4 on the AP Calc BC exam. He decided to use the credit for 1205 but take the 1206 Calc. It was by no means an easy A. He worked really hard and got a “B” (no plus/minus given by his professor). He was shocked at how difficult it was even after taking it in H.S. However, I do agree that building a good GPA prior to the Sophomore / Junior classis is a really, really good idea. BTW - He is finishing his Junior year in ME.</p>

<p>Thanks for the heads up. I only said they would be easy A’s because people have been telling me that I would miss out on the opportunity to boost off my GPA at the start of university and that they would be easy courses and that I could strengthen my foundation and all that.</p>

<p>@Janmeister‌ : Some intro. classes don’t really boost a foundation and are taught and graded in ways that result in a lower GPA than the one you would have gotten from just “moving on”. General chemistry is a notorious example. You can retake gen. chem at a difficult school for the “easy A” (or what usually turns out to be a B grade if you have AP credit), but you will be at no advantage in higher level chemistry courses (especially organic) vs. those who used the credit to place out simply because many do not retain the content/skills from the course. Sometimes it’s just better to start building new skills as soon as you arrive so you get used to high rigor/demands and new (as opposed to the same, but harder exams and presentation) content earlier. Because often those who forfeit AP and take the intro are just as in shock about how difficult some upperlevel math and science courses are as those who came in with no AP credit (simply because the person w/AP is adjusting as well). Some people who take the AP credit may struggle at first in the advanced/higher level they place into, but many go on to do well in the other advanced courses ahead of them simply because they’re used to it and know how to tackle it (no adjustment involved and they are ahead in coursework so that doesn’t hurt). Often retaking it puts you in the same position as the “noobs” which could slightly weaken some students especially if they approach future courses with an attitude of complacency if they easily made their A or B in the intro. course. Some students who retake are wasting their time and their mind, so evaluate your decision carefully and decide if you may indeed benefit from learning new stuff early on as opposed to “refreshing” (this is often what pre-meds say when they retake intro. biology or chemistry lol. Often they are hardly “refreshed” knowledge by the courses and have at least slightly scathed their GPA’s). </p>

<p>Given that the math courses do build on each other and you have many others to take after the “core ones”, consider your AP credits carefully. For my son, the 1205 would have been a waste to “re-take”. Even with his “B” in 1206, he said he was glad he took it given it was not just a refresher and did help prepare him for the next level Calc classes. (ie: Multivariable and Diff Eq) The other 2 math classes you listed (Linear and Vector) were indeed easy to get an A in…Again, you should evaluate for yourself, this is one persons experience. He really wishes he had AP credit for CHEM as he had to take it and it will NEVER be used again. </p>

<p>I feel as if some do. For example, calculus 1 concepts, series and integration is very important for other courses, however I just beg to differ that retaking it in college is necessary if you got a 5 on both AB and BC (or just BC) and you feel as if you mastered those concepts. If you don’t need the refresher, you simply don’t need it (now many schools, especially engineering oriented ones like VT and GT have changed calc. 2 to include linear algebra which could make it useful to take). You could also just “shop” the classes and see if you feel comfortable with the next level depending on your background. That’s better than initially just assuming you’re rusty. And yes, general chemistry is a relatively useless course if you have AP credit. If you are a chem major (and thus may take GRE chem) or even pre-med, the concepts in gen. chem are probably better covered by analytical/quantitative chemistry and inorganic chemistry. Generally, inorganic and organic combine to provide a superior coverage of structural chemistry and analytical is much better at presenting issues of kinetics and equilibrium. Gen, chem is just…yuck and nearly obsolete. It is almost purely a service course at this point. Introductory biology courses at many have seen much more change and are more relevant than most general chemistry courses (only the schools that have migrated to a physical chemistry and inorganic sort of model of presenting material are particularly good).</p>

<p>@bernie12‌ thanks for the advice. It would kind of be pointless not to take the credit after self-studying two courses. I most certainly did not consider such factors in my decision. I thank you very much. </p>

<p>@bboop42‌ I can understand your son’s situation, but I think I will gamble this one and skip them. After all, if i had the determination to self study them I’m pretty sure I can always go over something with ease - especially with the professors available during their office hours (assuming I can get ahold of them with ease)</p>

<p>I have two CS majors at VT. They both skipped Calc I and II mainly because they didn’t want to have to retake something they had already studied. Plus, the CS applications from calculus may be limited. </p>

<p>That puts the final nail in the coffin for my decision on skipping them.</p>