AP Credits

<p>How does having AP credits affect students? Do people typically use them to do a double major, add a minor, take less classes at one time or what?</p>

<p>Having AP credits allowed our daughter to enjoy a lighter load when she wants.</p>

<p>People use them in any way that best fits their situation…to put towards a second major, a minor, to skip to the next level, to fulfill Core, etc.</p>

<p>My older son did only take 14 credits his first semester because we knew he had a lot of AP and we were concerned about “college adjustment” and the difficulty of CBHP.</p>

<p>Do you have a particular concern?</p>

<p>Part of me thinks it would be nice to have a lighter load and some adjustment time and the other part of me think it would be best to take advantage of the full tuition scholarship she has. Just wondering what most people find works best.</p>

<p>Even though my older son only took 14 credits his first semester, we still feel that he took full advantage of the scholarship in the end. He graduated with a whole bunch of extra credits. It was just one semester out of eight that was a light load. He finished 2 minors and took a good number of classes just for fun and interest (foreign languages and fitness - jogging, tennis, weight training). He also took additional classes for his major since he wanted to strengthen his PhD app. He had all but one of his req’ts for his major complete by senior year, so that year was a real breeze.</p>

<p>The “fun” classes are a great idea.</p>

<p>My son, too, entered Alabama with a boatload of AP credit (65 hours). He needs just two classes in the fall to complete his double major. The extra credit afforded him the chance to earn four minors (he nearly triple majored and got a masters, too). But most of all, he got the chance to take some fun, interesting classes so he could broaden his knowledge base. </p>

<p>It’s nice to have so many options, thanks to those AP credits. My younger son hopes to follow his brother to UA … and with lots of AP/dual enrollment credit, too.</p>

<p>I have seen several people post about kids coming in with 60+ AP credits, but according to the UA website the maximum amount of AP credit that can be awarded is 45 hours. My son is interested in University Scholars and so would love to have the most AP credit possible, so I’m curious how people are getting credit for more than the 45 hours.</p>

<p>I’ve talked to admissions about AP and transferring duel credit stuff. To be considered a freshman (and get freshman scholarships) you must have under 45 credits total.</p>

<p>that is valuable info tutu! Thanks</p>

<p>Our HS sophomore is taking classes for college credit through the UA Early College in addition to her high school AP classes. What Dr. Causey told students and parents was 30 credit hours of UA Early College credit plus any AP credits would be the maximum accepted in order to maintain the eligibility for a freshman scholarship. I would check with Admissions/Scholarships to be sure. It is possible that this rule only applies to Early College students.</p>

<p>Any student considering nursing should speak directly to a nursing advisor because some dual enrollment or college credits can impact preference for eligibility for promotion to upper division and GPA.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>that is not entirely true. You must have taken less than a certian number of credits AFTER you graduate from HS to be considered a freshman. You can enter with the maximum AP and community college credits that they allow.</p>

<p>This si the AP policy in the catalog:

</p>

<p>So that is the number of AP credits you can bring in. On top of that, you can bring in dual enrollment credits from a community college.</p>

<p>^^
Sorry, my post cross posted with yours. That is what I was thinking also. I’m guessing Early College is playing by different rules, but I would want to check with Admissions & Scholarships to be sure.</p>

<p>I have an email somewhere that says the CC credits are limited if they are taken after the student graduates from HS. Not if they are taken while IN HS. I just have to find it!</p>

<p>this is the discussion we had about credits last year. Maybe it will help someone!
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1213108-junior-standing-freshman.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1213108-junior-standing-freshman.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I have taken 1 AP class. My hs offers a program where they will pay for you to take classes at a local university. These courses are during my senior year. I get the college credit and hs credit. Admissions told me that if I stay under 45 credits I will be considered a freshman when I start at Bama. Otherwise I will be a transfer student. There maybe other rules for only AP and early college I’m not sure.</p>

<p>THat would be a new rule this year then, tutu. When my son applied last fall, the application clearly stated “graduating HS senior, or have taken less that 9 credit hours of college courses”. Because my son had taken more than that already, and I did not want to get into a situation where he was not eligible for the scholarships, I contacted admissions, and was told that incoming freshman was “graduating HS senior, or have taken less that 9 credit hours of college courses” with emphasis on OR. it was definately not AND.
My son would not have applied if the 45 total credits thing were in place for him!</p>

<p>Tutu, while the rules may have changed, it is also possible that the admissions officer or student answering the phone was confused. From what I’ve seen, dual enrollment is not common in the State of Alabama, programs like UA’s Early College excepted, which might have lead the person in the admissions office to quote the policy for credit by examination instead of the policy for freshman admission. </p>

<p>I came to UA with over 75 hours of college credit. If I wanted to, I could graduate a semester early with a triple major and a master’s degree. I highly recommend transferring as much AP and dual enrollment credit as possible, with certain exceptions, so one can take more upper division courses, have a lighter schedule, and/or graduate early.</p>

<p>for kicks and giggles, I went to the UA site to try to find the “9 credit hours” statement that used to be on the site. Interestingly, they do seem to have changed some of the statements on the website. I can’t find the reference to 9 credit hours after graduation to remain a freshman status, but I can’t find one that mentions 45 hours either. I did find the below info that is different:

</p>

<p>however, they do contradict themselves in other places about that as well.</p>

<p>I have again called and talked to multiple people in the admissions office and I got the same answer over and over.
As long as you don’t graduate early UA has been accepting up to 45 credits. In this case you may be considered sophomore or quickly become a sophomore but still can get freshman scholarships since you haven’t been a student at another university.</p>

<p>*I’ve talked to admissions about AP and transferring duel credit stuff. To be considered a freshman (and get freshman scholarships) you must have under 45 credits total.
*</p>

<p>this isn’t true.</p>

<p>As long as your credits were achieved before high school graduation you get the scholarships. Actually, Bama is lenient about CC classes taken during the summer before frosh year. the awards have already been given out anyway.</p>

<p>If it were true, people would just wait til they started at Bama with their awards and then have AP credits sent over via Collegeboard.</p>

<p>People are given their scholarship awards before all credits are sent anyway.</p>