AP English Lit and AP English Lang Comp credit

<p>When we met with Dr. Morgan last week, she indicated that she believed she’d seen cases of students receiving additional credit for having both of these exams. Based on her advice, I contacted the registrar’s office and learned the following:</p>

<p>The new catalog will reflect a change in AP credit policy for these exams. If a student has taken both exams and received a 4 or higher on both exams, the student will receive credit for EN 101 and EN 102 and a 3 hour Humanities elective credit.</p>

<p>So that is new…with passing both tests with a 4+, the student will now get an extra humanities credit. :slight_smile: That’s really good news for engineering majors.</p>

<p>That is very welcome news!</p>

<p>That is AWESOME news…but my son will be bummed that his AP test actually matters this year! LOL </p>

<p>Can I assume the new catalog info will take effect with Freshman fall of 2012?</p>

<p>Thanks for doing the research and posting, lattelady</p>

<p>Yes…but I have a feeling that currently enrolled students will get the benefit as well.</p>

<p>Bama has also added credit for AP Environmental Science (or whatever it’s called…lol). Robotbldmom knows what credit is given.</p>

<p>What about just English Language Comp without Lit? What credit does UA give?</p>

<p>For that matter, S will have 4+ on:
English Language and Comp
Physics B
Physics C
US History
Calc BC
Spanish</p>

<p>He also had 3 on European History (as sophomore), and has college credit for Spanish IV (1 credit Adelphi U), Creative Writing (1 credit Molloy College), and three Project Lead the Way engineering courses (9 credits RIT).</p>

<p>What credit might he expect at UA?</p>

<p>I don’t know how they do PLTW- there is a thread on here somewhere about it though. The AP credit is all on their website,[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>max # of credits by AP or testing is 45. Not sure how PLTW factors into that!</p>

<p>Chardo…</p>

<p>“What about just English Language Comp without Lit? What credit does UA give?”</p>

<p>If you take AP English Comp (only)…or you take AP English Lit (only)…and you get a 4 on either test, then you get credit for BOTH Frosh Comp I and II…6 credits.</p>

<hr>

<p>For that matter, S will have 4+ on:
English Language and Comp…6 credits
Physics B
Physics C
US History…6 credits
Calc BC…8 credits
Spanish</p>

<p>He also had 3 on European History (as sophomore)… 6 credits</p>

<p>and has college credit for Spanish IV (1 credit Adelphi U), Creative Writing (1 credit Molloy College), and three Project Lead the Way engineering courses (9 credits RIT)</p>

<hr>

<p>The above is from memory…I’ll have to look up the rest.</p>

<p>==================</p>

<p>Physics B …3 PH 101 and PH 102… 8 N
Physics C – Mechanics …3 PH 105 …4 N
Physics C – Electricity/Magnetism …3 PH 106… 4 N</p>

<p>Spanish Language³ 3 SP 101… 4 FL/HU
Spanish Literature 3 SP 101 and SP 102 8 FL/HU</p>

<p>Chardo, did your son include that he had the RIT credit when he applied to UA? My son did and included a transcript from RIT. His applicable credit shows in his student profile.</p>

<p>I think the enviro credit is GEO 105, Sustainable Earth. D is banking on getting that based on what we’ve read here.</p>

<p>^ He did not include the RIT transcript when he applied. </p>

<p>M2CK, if you add it all up, you’re saying he would get the max 45 credits. Does that mean he could take a light course load every semester?</p>

<p>I think your son would have about 40 AP credits, unless I’m missing some counts.</p>

<p>I don’t think the Adelphi and RIT credits are counted within that 45 limit.</p>

<p>As for lighter loads…certainly he could take a lighter load for the first semester or two…but as for junior and senior years, with upper division courses, I’m not sure if those would be lighter…maybe a little bit? And will your son have a minor?</p>

<p>I would print out a copy of the 8 semester sequence for your son’s major and cross off the AP credits to figure out his situation. Many with your son’s situation do a minor or even two minors…or just take some classes for fun and leisure.</p>

<p>Mdoc…copied from another post…</p>

<p>Thanks! I knew you’d come to the rescue with the latests and greatest info. So…good…AP Environmental Science now provides 4 credits for Geo 105 Sustainable Earth!!! That DOES count for 4 credit hours of Natural Science!</p>

<p>Darn, this info is one day too late for us. Registration for AP’s had to be done by Wednesday at my D’s HS. DIdnt sign up for English as she already had a 4 from last years. Oh well.</p>

<p>Call the school, you can probably still schedule it. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>i would call the GC. It’s doubtful that it’s too late for College Board.</p>

<p>I’m sure it isn’t too late as far as CB is concerned. Our school deadline for APs is March 19. </p>

<p>I wish I’d thought to ask about any other AP changes. I did ask about French Language as it is a new and more difficult curriculum and test this year, but has remained at 3 hours credit. Clearly, the CLEP test will yield a better result (well, assuming that the score is high enough!). </p>

<p>Does anyone know if the CLEP tests have to be taken physically at UA? Is it at Bama Bound? A friend of D’s took a CLEP test online at home for some college work she is doing this year (as a senior in HS).</p>

<p>I highly doubt CLEP has to be taken at Bama. I don’t think they’re offered during BB.</p>

<p>They’re like APs…you take them where the tests are offered (look at the website) and have credits sent.</p>

<p>LatteLady, you don’t have to take the CLEP at Bama. My D is planning to take it at our local community college. They offer it by appointment.</p>

<p>This has confused me! </p>

<p>[Testing</a> Services - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://testing.ua.edu/index.php]Testing”>Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>I will research it further and arrange to have it taken locally.</p>

<p>m2ck … did I read your comment right earlier in this post that you think that this rule may be applied retroactively? My D would have qualified for this, and hey, an extra three credits would be great! :-)</p>