AP English Lit and AP English Lang Comp credit

<p>I’m pretty sure that current students will benefit. If I remember correctly, current students got the AP Enviro credit when it was approved.</p>

<p>Once the new rule goes into affect, I would call the Registrar’s office…but first check your child’s unofficial transcript…it may show up there first.</p>

<p>Latte lady…</p>

<p>Bama is a testing center, but I don’t think CLEP is offered at each BB. According to the site, CLEP is offered weekly…yet there are 2 BBs per week.</p>

<p>[url=&lt;a href=“Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama”&gt;Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama]CLEP[/url</a>]</p>

<p>I have never heard that you have to take CLEP at Bama. Bama also offers the ACT, but we know you don’t have to take that at Bama, either. :)</p>

<p>To give an example…</p>

<p>CLEP is offered on:</p>

<p>May 29…9am
June 5…9am
June 12…9am…11am…1 pm</p>

<p>so, it doesn’t look like they’re coordinated with BBs. So, I don’t think you have to take it at Bama…hopefully SEA-tide will say where/when he took his CLEP. I just don’t think you HAVE to take it at Bama.</p>

<p>Sounds good. I think I confused with the Language Placement test which is apparently offered at Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Yes! The math placement and FL placement tests are during BB…They may be the second day…don’t remember.</p>

<p>However, if we had known about CLEP, we would have done THAT instead of FL placements.</p>

<p>M2, when I asked if he could take a lighter course load, I didn’t mean in terms of difficulty. I know he has to take all the required high level courses. I meant quantity, i.e. taking 4 classes per semester instead of the usual 5. If this were possible (thanks to lots of AP credit), it would be easier to maintain high GPA, and/or allow more time for other things.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I know that’s what you meant…less credits per semester…lighter load.</p>

<p>However, I would only do that for maybe Fall Frosh semester for adjustment purposes.</p>

<p>I would take advantage of those college credits and either get into UA Scholars and take grad classes senior year (and maybe some junior year)…or do a second major or minor.</p>

<p>An engineering student who gets into University Scholars and takes grad classes (even if he doesn’t complete the Masters) would have a leg-up for acceptance into top PhD programs elsewhere…fully funded.</p>

<p>About a month ago, I spoke with Sandy (I think) in the UA Testing Center about CLEP. It is offered at UA for certain. She mentioned that UA charges a $22 or $25 testing fee. I think it makes the CLEP about $100 each. I’m going from memory.
It’s the same as taking it at a local university (or wherever offers testing) and having the test scores sent. I believe that you get your results right away which is much nicer than waiting for weeks for AP exam results. My daughter will be doing a combo of AP & CLEP. Mainly, the CLEP for French due to the AP changes and because she’s only in French II.</p>

<p>Right…it’s about $77 for the test…and another $2X for testing at Bama. So, about $100 per test.</p>

<p>If you go to the link in #22 post, you can get exact prices, tests, and dates.</p>

<p>It’s a little confusing because you’ll first see the CLEP price (about $77), but then when you add it to the Bama shopping cart there will be about a $25k charge (that’s for Bama). So, about $77 goes to Collegeboard, and about $25 goes to Bama.</p>

<p>Can’t students take the math placement test online before they go to BB? I thought I read that somewhere. </p>

<p>I still don’t know what my D should do about Spanish. She has to take the Spanish AP test at her high school. If she takes the CLEP test she might test out of more spanish/ same is true if she takes the Spanish placement test during BB. But she is double majoring in Spanish and I am worried she’ll place too high and the next required class will be too tough for her. This has happened to a number of my older child’s college friends this year in their freshman year of college. They have had to drop the class and then wait until the next semester to schedule a lower level foreign language class.</p>

<p>If a student has 13 hours of college Spanish credit from dual enrollment during 10th, 11th, & 12th grades, how does UA apply the credit? DS will also be taking the AP Spanish Language test (his school really encourage all students enrolled in AP courses to do so).</p>

<p>and I am worried she’ll place too high and the next required class will be too tough for her. </p>

<p>======</p>

<p>Even if you “place high”, you’re under NO OBLIGATION to go to the next required class. You can start lower if you wish…no problem.</p>

<p>seekingknowledge quote:</p>

<h1>If a student has 13 hours of college Spanish credit from dual enrollment during 10th, 11th, & 12th grades, how does UA apply the credit? DS will also be taking the AP Spanish Language test (his school really encourage all students enrolled in AP courses to do so).</h1>

<p>Sounds like the AP spanish credit will be duplicate credits since it’s very likely that the classes taken DE are Spanish 101, 102, and maybe 201 and 202?</p>

<p>can a student CLEP any English classes with a high ACT English score at Bama?</p>

<p>I don’t think any particular ACT score is needed to do a CLEP test and it count.</p>

<p>Composition and Literature</p>

<p>American Literature
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
English Composition
English Literature
Freshman College Composition
Humanities</p>

<p>The above are the English CLEP tests.</p>

<p>[CLEP[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Wait…it doesn’t look Bama gives English credits for CLEP…or am I wrong…</p>

<p><a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama](<a href=“Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama”>Testing Services – University of Alabama Testing Services | The University of Alabama)</a></p>

<p>The Bama testing website does say that it gives some CLEP exams for subjects that Bama doesn’t give credit for.</p>

<p>Check with your advisor and university catalog for eligibility and minimum score requirements. (Not all exams are approved for credit at The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>I think azaleamob251 is referring to the practice of some schools giving automatic credit for some courses based on an ACT score.</p>

<p>oh…no…you don’t bypass any English classes solely on a ACT English score. You need to take the AP exam. Even if you didn’t take AP English Comp, some schools will let you take the exam (notify GC now) and you can get credit that way.</p>

<p>However, I think if you have a certain ACT English score, you can take English 103 and that will count for both Frosh Comp I and II…and it counts as an honors course.</p>

<p>Edited to add…info here…</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.as.ua.edu/fwp/guidelines.html[/url]”>http://www.as.ua.edu/fwp/guidelines.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>M2CK, in looking at the link you posted, it conflicts with that I was told by the registrar’s office!</p>

<p>The page on the link you posted has a bullet that says: 4 or 5 on both AP English tests (Language and Literature) substitutes for EN 101 and EN 102 credit (fulfilling a student’s 6-hour core composition requirement) and also awards the student 6 additional hours of elective humanities credit.</p>

<p>The registrar’s office told me the humanities elective would be 3 hours.</p>

<p>I hope 6 is correct!</p>

<p>4 or 5 on either AP English test (Language or Literature) substitutes for EN 101 and EN 102 credit and fulfills a student’s 6-hour core composition requirement. Students with these scores qualify for optional placement into Honors sections of 200-level literature surveys (EN 215, 216, 219, or 220)</p>

<p>4 or 5 on both AP English tests (Language and Literature) substitutes for EN 101 and EN 102 credit (fulfilling a student’s 6-hour core composition requirement) and also awards the student 6 additional hours of elective humanities credit.</p>

<p>hmmm…since this all “new news”…perhaps everyone doesn’t know what the final decision was…there may have been a few different suggested outcomes, and some haven’t heard what was finally decided.</p>

<p>I would call back and tell them about that web page.</p>

<p>Wow, the 6 credits would be even better. Awesome early morning news!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Our excitement is short-lived! M2CK nailed it…</p>

<p>I spoke with the Chantel in the registrar’s office again. She is 100% positive that students who take both Lit and Lang Comp (and score 4+ on both) will only get an additional 3 hours of humanities elective credit.</p>

<p>She said the page on the website, which is from the Arts and Sciences, is incorrect and she will be contacting them to get it corrected. </p>

<p>She also indicated that the decision on this AP credit change was just finalized early this week.</p>

<p>I’m still happy to know that the 3 hours will be available!</p>