Appealing (huge improvement in Senior GPA)

<p>Has anyone had experience with appealing to the UC’s? So far, I’ve been rejected from Riverside, and I didn’t apply to Merced, so I’m not expecting much from the other UC’s. </p>

<p>There are hundred’s of students who appeal, but I’m hoping my circumstances will distinguish me from those just whining that they didn’t get into their top choice.</p>

<p>I was diagnosed with ADD at the end of my Junior year. Up until then, my average GPA was around 2.6. I wasn’t even eligible to apply to the UC’s, but I did anyway. But after being diagnosed and prescribed medication, I’ve matured and completely changed (I explained this in my essay). I’ve improved to a 3.25 UW/3.75 W GPA for my 1st semester of Senior year </p>

<p>Since most will probably reject, the UC’s won’t get a chance to see my improvement. I plan to maintain/improve my GPA during 2nd semester and appeal with my Senior year improvement being the main argument. </p>

<p>Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I think it is worth a try. If that fails I would suggest you look into community college extensions for the UC you want to get into. Several of them have a program so you can live in the community and in some cases even take classes at the UC you want to eventually get into. I know you can do this at Berkeley, UC Davis and UCSB. Also this kind of program is available at CPSLO. There may be others too.</p>

<p>If you have any thoughts about possibly attending the CC near UCSB, you should reserve a spot in the Isla Vista dorms they have there for the CC students right now. It fills up fast once the decisions come out. You live side by side with the UCSB students and get the whole "four year" type of experience while completing your transfer requirements at the CC. having said that, I hope your UC dreams come true.</p>

<p>You cant appeal with your senior grades. They say its not a basis of appeal.</p>

<p>UCLA</a> Undergraduate Admissions & Relations with Schools: FAQ - Denied Freshmen
UCLA says so. UCSD as well. I'm going to assume UCR will too since its all UCs.</p>

<p>Not to be mean but your GPA is extremely low, and you have not even mentioned your other test scores. I know kids who have 'Add' with 4.0 Gpas, and I doubt they blamed a B+ on their condition in their essays. If I was a College Admin looking at an appeal, I doubt I would give a UC ineligible candidate (by a lot) a second chance solely based on improved senior year grades, which are not even supposed to count as an appeal. </p>

<p>I do wish you the best of luck, but understand that this year is an extremely hard year to harness an acceptance to any Uc. Last year a 3.0 got you into Riverside but this year people with 3.4's are clawing at a chance to go to Riverside.</p>

<p>I think that you might have a case, but as said earlier, most schools won't let you use your senior grades. </p>

<p>But considering the special circumstances, I think that you may have a shot.
Call up their admissions office at the end of the month and see what's up.</p>