Apple retina display macbook pro-freshman son wants one

<p>We are considering purchasing the MacBook Pro Bundle from the supestore, which is located in the Ferguson Center.
They offer 3 different packages ranging from $1,499 to $2,159. These bundles include the Apple protection plan, Microsoft Office 2011, all-in-one printer, etc…
One of our relatives has offered to sell his old MacBook to our son for a “great” price, we’re also thinking about this option.<br>
Our son, however, went with his friend to the Apple store. His friend purchased the Apple retina display Macbook pro for around $3,500, this is not a bundle this is just the Macbook pro.
I don’t get all the hype about the retna display, I don’t think a college student needs one, unless he plans to work in graphic design, and I think the price is outrageous for a college kid.
Does anyone have an opinion?</p>

<p>I would love to get the new Retina Display MBP, and I might do so this fall. But I am an amateur photographer and can perhaps rationalize the better screen for that reason as well as the additional memory and the flash drive. </p>

<p>Personally, I wouldn’t consider getting it for my child. It is very expensive and I don’t think the additional cost would be worthwhile for a student. And when I think about a computer bouncing around in a backpack all day, I’d want it to be what they need but not more than they need, cost-wise, weight-wise or size-wise. There is a lot that can go wrong for a computer at college. </p>

<p>But just regarding the retina display… yesterday we put an iPad 2 and an iPad 3 (retina display) side by side and looked at the same enlarged photos. You definitely could see the difference that the retina display makes. But is it worth it? Not for my kiddos, IMHO.</p>

<p>We did get my D a new MBP this week when the new ones came out. She went with a 13-inch and is very satisfied with the reduced size (she previously had a 15-inch).</p>

<p>Maybe you should just consider a regular MacBook Pro, I have mine for years. Whatever computer you decide on, i would get a good service plan.</p>

<p>I’m sure your son would like a Mercedes as well, but he’ll be just fine with a Chevy Cruze. In a world where new technology makes things obsolete in 2 - 3 years I’d never spend $3,500 on a computer for a kid. But to each his own and if you can afford it then do as you see fit.</p>

<p>You can get a retina display for $2200 before education discount. I think the OP’s son’s friend must have purchased the higher spec model and then upgraded the memory and flash drive.</p>

<p>We are a macbook family. I’ve had my macbook pro since 2009 (13") - I’m planning on upgrading the memory any day - I already upgraded the hd myself in Jan. Runs like a dream and allows me to run 32 webpages and 10 programs at the same time - the memory upgrade will only enhance that.</p>

<p>D is a junior in college and spending 7 months in China where her macbook died 3 weeks ago even after replacing the hd with an off market. She has had her computer since 2006 and that baby ran constantly when not in class. She will be getting a new macbook pro 13" NON Retina display in August when she returns and before heading back east to college for her senior year. She can’t wait to be done with the netbook she picked up to get her through the summer back there.</p>

<p>S just graduated from hs. He has a late 2008 macbook (the white one) that just needs updating the hd and memory before heading off to college in August. He uses a pc desktop most of the time here so his macbook has mainly been used for music composition (yes, he is a music major) and it runs like new.</p>

<p>There is no reason to buy the retina display unless your son is into graphic design as you mentioned or he will major in digital media, computer science (particularly game design), or anything else that is graphics based. Even then I would question whether it would be wiser to wait for the upgraded display for Jr. year when his major requirements will kick in big time and even more advancements will have been added. We own 11 Apple devices and yes, they are good but I find purchasing any of them right when they come out has its pros and cons. The main issue is software updates and glitches. Less chance of that with a display but still something to think about especially when a kid needs it for class - pretty hard to use a laptop when the display doesn’t work!</p>

<p>The only time I have spent that much money ($3500) on a laptop was back in 1992. Definitely NOT worth it in the long run (pc notebook).</p>

<p>the retina one runs flash storage so it will boot up and start programs a lot faster than a Macbook Pro with the standard hard drive. It’ll be about 2500+ depending on what you want to add to the basic model. It’s also a lot thinner than the Pro, so if you’re wanting to get a mix between the Air and the Pro then it’s right for you. Keep in mind it does not have a disc drive.</p>

<p>My son just ordered his. He’s looking at a Mechanical Engineering major and with the requirements for what he feels he needs and the desire to have it last all 4 years, he found it to be the best option. Although the one without the retina display would have been more than enough, adding in the additional options he needed quickly made that cost higher than the packaging (standard included components) in the retina display model. </p>

<p>Does he really need it? I doubt it. But he’s saved up about $2000 and really wants it so we’re paying the remainder for him. He said you can get an external drive from NewEgg for about $40 so that’s not a huge deal and after years of Apple product experience, we know the Apple Care is a must!</p>

<p>I have a friend that is a computer whiz kid since we were in high school. (And I can tell you that was a long time ago!) He posted this article on facebook this morning. Just might be hard to fix the MacBook with retina display model.
[The</a> New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable | Gadget Lab | Wired.com](<a href=“The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable | WIRED”>The New MacBook Pro: Unfixable, Unhackable, Untenable | WIRED)</p>

<p>The retina display is very nice, but 2 more things to consider from a practical standpoint… the retina display MBP has no Ethernet port and no DVD/CD drive. The lack of built in ethernet would concern me since at Bama Bound they (Engineering Advising meeting) recommended having this in case there are wireless connectivity issues, particularly in the dorms. Not a common occurrence but it does occur we were told.</p>

<p>my daughter is getting ready to buy the mbp 13" as well. however, we are confused as to where to buy it due to the warranty. if she gets it from best buy, they claim that with their black tie warranty program, they would fix it if something goes wrong, would replace it if it gets damaged (includes accidents) and would update the virus program. if she buys it from apple, she can only get the warranty that covers manufacturer problems. i’ve read about a warranty program from squaretrade that also covers accidents. any input?</p>

<p>great question azaleamob251…you took the words right out of my mouth!</p>

<p>You may want to check on discounts between the Apple Store and Best Buy too. In this area, none of the Best Buy stores offer either the education discount ($200) or the $100 gift card that my son got by purchasing from the Apple Store. He did say that on some of his online groups that people said they were able to get the discount in their area (ie the store makes the call) and others got a $150 Best Buy gift card instead of the Apple one. Since we could get neither, it made sense to buy through Apple directly.</p>

<p>I have never dealt with Apple but I can tell you that I would never let the Geek Squad touch any computer of mine regardless of what they wanted to do to it and if they would do it for free. Also, BB is having some corporate difficulties lately. Who knows if they will be around as long as the warranty you’d buy from them.</p>

<p>you can add squaretrade no matter where you buy it, i think.</p>

<p>most people are not that happy with best buy’s service programs.</p>

<p>Mike, could you explain what squaretrade is?</p>

<p>the thunderbolt-to-ethernet cable that Apple offers with the Macbook Air- does it work with the internet at Bama?</p>

<p>seekingknowledge, Squaretrade is a 3rd party warranty service who sells warranties online (discounts usually available) and at Costco. The ones sold at Costco are great because they can be used for items purchased at any store and are in addition to the manufacturer’s warranty ie a 3 year warranty for most items purchased at Costco covers the items for 5 years. Squaretrade also sells warranties online that cover items purchased on eBay. </p>

<p>Squaretrade warranties are usually very-low priced and warranty support phone calls are answered in San Francisco.</p>

<p>tommy, if the cord has an Ethernet plug, it should be able to plug into Ethernet jacks at UA.</p>

<p>Still undecided on which one we will get my daughter, but since we would opt for the 256 ssd upgrade to the higher end 13" MBP the price difference with education discount becomes $1749 for 13" MBP vs. $1999 for 15" MBP retina, making the retina model seem more attractive. The 15" retina model has a $200 student discount as opposed to the $100 off for standard MBP. There is currently an Apple promotion of $100 Apple gift card with student purchase through Apple. Also, if you order online through the ShopDiscover link to the Apple store, you earn 5% cash back bonus, for those who might like to know about that option. Personally, I would never buy an Apple product through anyone but Apple. Of course 3 year AppleCare is also a necessity for any college student, regardless of model. Is the retina model a lot of computer for a college student? Yes. But in my opinion computers are basically obsolete by the time they hit the market because developers are already working on the next best technology. My philosophy is to buy the best you can afford, operative words being what you can afford. I have many friends who have equipped their college kids with the lower end 13" MBP and those machines have been fantastic, never heard any complaints or regrets. Just make sure you are aware of all the available discounts and promotions available under the educational discount pricing, and if you pay with a credit card see if there are any additional perks or discounts available through your card company.</p>