Applying for Graduation at UA Spring 2016 - what's the process and timeline + any tips and advice

^ Understand they don’t graduate from HC…my misstatement there…but in order to have that ‘honor’ + receive cord, they need to apply to graduate with that distinction. It is not automatically bestowed on HC members who are graduating. Thank you for clarifying.

Yes, you’re right, Aeromom.

Well, he’s not the parent, so I’ll cut him some slack! :slight_smile:

We went to the December engineering/business graduation in December and the actual ceremony was probably about 1-1/2 hours. Of course we were there 90 minutes early (at 7:30 am) so it seemed much longer. Business graduates went first (after the phd’s, masters etc.) and many of them left after they walked. I was surprised, as I had gone to my oldest son’s graduation at another college which went on for a much longer time and everyone stayed. That graduation was only for the College of Engineering and had over 1200 walking so I don’t know if there was any way to “shorten” theirs up. However, I think UA could shorten their graduations up by splitting them only by each college. It would make it go faster and make it more meaningful.

When I graduated from Penn in the early 80s, we just stood up when our names were called. Nobody walked to the stage to get their diploma, as I recall. We had to turn in our caps and gowns after the ceremony to get our actual degrees (which were in an envelope). I think almost everybody graduating from the university received their degrees at that ceremony.

It’s the “walking” that takes so much time. Personally, I could live without it, but I’m probably in the minority.

Our kids would never want to leave a game early, but we did insist once when it was nearly midnight and they had to walk home. I agree that it is important to support the team by staying, and that it may be rude to leave graduation early. I admit we did once when a son graduated. ;). I would never have thought we would leave early.

It is a terribly long time to sit in those cramped seats by the time you arrive early enough to get a good seat. I do enjoy seeing the graduates walk though. I wouldn’t want that to be changed. It takes a really long time for the doctoral and masters level graduates to be presented with hoods and regalia and there were many introductions at the beginning. The actual calling of names isn’t too bad. It didn’t bother me that others were leaving. Those around us were thoughtful enough to wait while we listened for our graduate’s name to be called instead of standing up where we couldn’t see or hear. That’s defiiniteky a consideration everyone should have. The thing that annoyed me was people who arrived late and stood in front of seated guests and talked the whole time and those who brought strollers with toddlers who cried. :wink:

There is nothing like seeing your graduate up on stage (and on the big screen with his name under the live picture) shaking hands and getting his “fake” diploma. Its the reason that I went - so proud!

Parents, please stay all the way through, even after your student walks, his friends and the other students deserve your applause and show of support. Remember, some students may not have family in attendance, so you can be there for them. I would hate to have students walk while the audience was emptying.

I just wanted to give a special shout-out to balfours for working with me on the graduation announcements. My son’s announcement wasn’t quite right…the options on the ordering site were not giving me what should be reflected on the announcement…long story, the customer service worked with me via very prompt email today, to typeset the correct designation of how I wanted his degree vs his major to be on the card. Now, I hope I can get them in time! Roll on May 6th…

Can anyone tell me if there are seat backs at the Coliseum? My hubby has pretty serious back issues and sitting without seat backs for 3 hours would be a big problem for him. Just wondering what we can do to prepare. Thanks!

The seats all have backs, but the seats are a bit small and there is very little leg room. I would suggest sitting in one of the short rows that has an open area with railing in front so your husband has leg room. Some of the areas have anywhere from one to five seats like this in a row. Those seats go quickly. Look in the area of section Q. These rows will be just to the left and right as you enter so you don’t need to climb the steep stairs. You’ll have a pretty good view of where graduates exit the stage.